Plans for stand alone headphone amp?

jrb

Plans for stand alone headphone amp?
« on: 12 Nov 2008, 06:35 pm »

In looking and reading about for a stand-alone tube headphone amp, I kept finding recommendations and reviews mighty fond of the headphone amp in the Isabella.  Just wondering if you have any plans to manufacture a stand-alone tube headphone amplifier? 

Thanks

(I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times--couldn't find this question through the search function.) 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Plans for stand alone headphone amp?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2008, 07:53 pm »

In looking and reading about for a stand-alone tube headphone amp, I kept finding recommendations and reviews mighty fond of the headphone amp in the Isabella.  Just wondering if you have any plans to manufacture a stand-alone tube headphone amplifier? 

Hi jrb,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum.

I guess now is a good time to announce that we ARE in fact working on a dedicated headphone amplifier.  8)

We are working with Ken Ball of ALO Audio (www.aloaudio.com).  He will be working on the solid wood enclosures.  This is a solid chunk of wood that is CNC routed.  While this headphone amp will not look indentical, you can see how gorgeous the wood is if you look at his iMod V-cap and Auricap Docks below:
http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_17

Updated information 2/12/09:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62962.msg591817#msg591817

Best regards,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 03:52 pm by Vinnie R. »

cryoparts

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:22 pm »
I guess now is a good time to announce that we ARE in fact working on a dedicated headphone amplifier.  8)

We are working with Ken Ball of ALO Audio (www.aloaudio.com).  He will be working on the solid wood enclosures.  This is a solid chunk of wood that is CNC routed.  While this headphone amp will not look indentical, you can see how gorgeous the wood is if you look at his iMod V-cap and Auricap Docks below:
http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_17

:drool:

Peace,

Lee

jrb

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2008, 08:35 pm »

Hello Vinnie,

Well, it's a shame a tube amp isn't on the horizon; but what you have on deck looks terrific.  Thanks for the welcome.

jrb

ALOaudio

• AudioLineOut
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2008, 04:37 pm »
No doubt I am also getting a audio boner over this project.  aa

The enclosure will be more polished than the current iMod/iPod docks. We are shooting for Black Walnut, Tiger Maple and possible a few Special Edition burl wood, camphor burl or Myrtle wood.

KB

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2008, 01:42 pm »
If it's ready in time, RWA and AOL could get great exposure at the Southern CanFEST 2009, 2/21/2009. This event is sponsored by the Carolina Audio Society. Link to headfi... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/official-thread-southern-charlotte-canfest-2009-a-360873/

Guests include...

Joe Grado
Drew of Moon Audio
Mikhail of SinglePower
Dennis Had of Cary Audio
Ray Samuels of Ray Samuels Audio
Joe Abrams of Portal Audio

I would be glad to host it at my station, where I will be showing...

Isabella fully loaded, with the Amprex tubes from North Lake (there will be an open headphone jack for others to try their cans on my rig)
Sig 30.2 driving K1000s
Macbook via USB as source

Isabella has two line-level outs, so I should be able to feed both the Sig 30.2 and the new headphone amp from the same source / DAC.

I only have one good IC (Oritek X-2), so if you do this Vinnie, I will also need to borrow an IC (preferably 1.5 - 2M and already broken in).
:banana piano:

Kent

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2008, 04:02 pm »
Hi Kent,

This would be fantastic!  Thank you!  :hyper:

I am confident that it will be ready in time, and I'll gladly hook you up with RWA cabling.  I'm sure Ken at ALO Audio would be willing to offer some cans and other goodies for this meet as well!

Thanks for bringing the RWA goods!  :thumb:

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2008, 04:35 pm »
Hi Kent,

This would be fantastic!  Thank you!  :hyper:

I am confident that it will be ready in time, and I'll gladly hook you up with RWA cabling.  I'm sure Ken at ALO Audio would be willing to offer some cans and other goodies for this meet as well!

Thanks for bringing the RWA goods!  :thumb:

Vinnie

Great, this will be quite the listening station!!!

Ken, if your game to send me whatever you think is the best sounding ALO recabled can for the Isabella -- then I will use your cans as the default.

Considering the Isabella + new headphone amp, there will be two 1/4" plugs, so feel free to send a second set if you want.

Obviously others will still have the opportunity to try their cans with the RWA gear for comparison purposes.

Kent

ALOaudio

• AudioLineOut
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2008, 04:03 pm »
Hey Kent, PM sent.

I almost want to come out of my shell and attend the southern meet  :scratch:

But yeah will do I will send you some stuff for sure. Be sure to check out the next issue of Tone Audio because I think Jeff is featuring one of our modified Edition 9s in this next headphone Planet section of Tone and he used these with the Isabella.

As an update on the yet to be named RWA / ALO amp.... ahem I mean ALO / RWA amp  aa

We just finished milling the prototype enclosure for the amp and its suah-ua-eet. These are made one at a time on a CNC milling machine out of a solid billet chunk of hardwood. Vinnie and I are very excited about the project. I ran the skeleton test amp on one 9V for 2 days solid so the SLA will pack more of a punch and play for an eternity WO charging, well ok perhaps a week or so.

Ken

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2008, 12:44 am »
All,

Ken is correct - this is going to be a fantastic little desktop headphone amp with some really nice features and just gorgeous to listen to, look at, and hold!  :drool:

Based on the status reports I received from Ken regarding the enclosure, I am confident that the prototype will be completed by the end of this year - and production will follow soon after that.  We still cannot give an exact release date or price yet, but this will follow soon enough...

Thanks!

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2008, 12:54 am »
On behalf of the Carolina Audio Society - sponsors for the meet  - I want to thank Ken and Vinnie for helping to fill-out the RWA lineup for this meet.

My Signature 30.2 and K1000s were a big hit at the last meet I attended in the Raleigh area. This meet I'll have at my disposal THREE different ways to drive headphones, all centered on RWA gear.

Vinnie, you've come a long way in a very short time.

Kent

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2008, 02:08 am »
On behalf of the Carolina Audio Society - sponsors for the meet  - I want to thank Ken and Vinnie for helping to fill-out the RWA lineup for this meet.

My Signature 30.2 and K1000s were a big hit at the last meet I attended in the Raleigh area. This meet I'll have at my disposal THREE different ways to drive headphones, all centered on RWA gear.

Vinnie, you've come a long way in a very short time.

Kent

Thanks, Kent!  Much appreciated...  :beer: