Will a Mac Mini work for me?

JDUBS

Will a Mac Mini work for me?
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 02:54 am »
Hey Guys

So right now I'm living with a Slim Devices Transporter which streams my .flac collection from my computer (a Vista PC in a different room) over a wired network.

This setup is truly tough to fault...but lately I've been thinking about heading the direction of the Mac Mini and hooking it up to my tv (Pioneer plasma) for adjustments / tweeks and probably a bunch of other stuff.

The rest of my system is a soon-to-arrive heavily modded Behringer DCX-2496 which will come after the transport and serve as my preamp / DAC / active crossover.  From there the signal goes to a TBD biamp setup (will definitely include EVS500M monoblocks) and then its off to a pair of Yorkville Unity speakers.

I've been doing some research on the Mini and have a few questions.  First, is it capable of streaming files from my "main" computer (like my Transporter is doing currently)?  Is it capable of streaming 24/96 files?  How good is the Fluke program for working with .flac files in iTunes?  The Behringer only has a coax input so I'll need to convert the optical from the Mac...but this probably isn't a huge deal...bunch of devices can do that.  Also, just how quiet is it?  I would keep it in my listenning room.

Thanks for any and all input, guys!!

-Jim

Crimson

Re: Will a Mac Mini work for me?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2008, 11:17 am »
First, is it capable of streaming files from my "main" computer (like my Transporter is doing currently)?

Yes.

Is it capable of streaming 24/96 files?

Yes.

How good is the Fluke program for working with .flac files in iTunes?

While it works well, consider the fact that you'd have to use a program other than iTunes to rip new discs to flac files, and then import them to iTunes via Fluke. You may be better off either converting your library to either ALAC or AIFF, or use a program other than iTunes for library management/playback/streaming.

Also, just how quiet is it?

As long as its just streaming audio, the fan should not have to turn on.

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2008, 02:49 am »
Crimson is on top of things, as usual.

Just want to mention...(strong) rumors currently indicate either an imminent update of the Mini hardware, or an outright discontinuation (I would lean to the former). If you can wait a month or two, I would do so...but keep your eyes/ears open, just in case.  8)

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:21 am »
If there is an update it will happen in January.  I am also waiting to see what will happen to the Mini.  My first generation Mini G4 is begging to be upgraded. 

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2008, 03:35 am »
Sounds good, guys.  Thank you very much.  I've got plenty of time to wait...I have no complaints with my current Transporter setup.

-Jim

jaspal kallar

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2008, 12:37 am »

How loud is the hard drive ?

jaspal

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2008, 03:51 am »

How loud is the hard drive ?

jaspal

Depends on how close you are to it.  :D

Internal hard drives are typically quieter than the quietest fans.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:37 am »
I keep reading that there will be a Mac Mini upgrade mid Jan after CES....I can't wait to pull the trigger on one of these guys

funkmonkey

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2008, 04:13 am »
either an update or discontinuance...   :scratch:

I believe Apple has stopped shipping them to their vendors (but that is just an unsubstantiated rumor).

I want one too, but am waiting to find out what will happen, so not for a few more months for me.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2008, 04:25 am »
In short, it'll do the job. However the internal HD size may disapppoint. You should probably look at an external HD, too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2008, 01:56 am »
In short, it'll do the job. However the internal HD size may disapppoint. You should probably look at an external HD, too.

I just hate to buy something that is a month away from being upgraded (hopefully).  I would get two 500g drives anyway as one would have the music and the other would well have the same music.  I would really be disappointed if they discontinued it and didn't replace it.  I doubt that would happen but you never know...

yooper

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:18 am »

Agreed.