Finally bought a Buffalo DAC kit

Jon L

Re: Finally bought a Buffalo DAC kit
« Reply #40 on: 3 May 2009, 06:02 pm »
Is Twisted Pear Counterpoint discrete output stage shipping yet? 

Would love to hear the Buffalo with a discrete output stage, maybe even Zapfilter II. 

mgalusha

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2009, 08:52 pm »
I still haven't built mine yet  :oops: but I've gathered almost all the parts. Mine will almost certainly have a tube output stage.

BradJudy

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2009, 09:19 pm »
Is Twisted Pear Counterpoint discrete output stage shipping yet? 

Would love to hear the Buffalo with a discrete output stage, maybe even Zapfilter II. 

The Buffalo32 has a built-in IV stage (IVY II), which is supposed to be better than their IVY.  They have mentioned that there will be a "tweakers" board for the Sabre32 chip that will allow for more customization, but have stated that the tight integration of the IV stage was the key to better performance with the Buffalo32.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2009, 10:00 pm »
Well, clearly I am out of my league on this project.  I have never had a stand alone dac and thought I'd try one and picked up a Buffalo kit having done an amp kit long ago.  Silly me.  I assumed that assembling the Buffalo dac kit would build a functioning dac.  After receiving the thing, I quickly saw that not only was it not a complete kit, there were essentially no instructions  :scratch:- so I have someone else trying to figure it out.  Exactly what do I need to complete this darned thing!  I had hoped to use it with a Marantz cd 5400 and compare it to my Cambridge Audio cd player.  Are there no instructions for completion, or are you just supposed to know how these go together?
If someone has completed one, would they mind sending a PM with a parts list and a general direction of where to go with this thing.  Otherwise, I'll have to dump it. 

BradJudy

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2009, 10:26 pm »
The DAC module itself should be fully assembled.  After that, you need a power supply (did you buy a power supply kit with the DAC board?), transformer, some sort of IV stage (also available from Twisted Pear), power supply for the IV stage with transformer.  Then you'd need jacks and a case. 

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may also need an input receiver (for USB or multiple SPDIF). 

Twisted Pear also has their own support forum where you can find lots of other builders.  This link goes straight to the Buffalo section:  http://twistedpearaudio.com/forum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=19

S Clark

« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2009, 10:41 pm »
The DAC module itself should be fully assembled.  After that, you need a power supply (did you buy a power supply kit with the DAC board?)Yes, it came with one, transformerWhat voltage and amperage?, some sort of IV ?? What is this?stage (also available from Twisted Pear), power supply for the IV stage with transformerOk, lost again.  It has one power supply. It needs another? :scratch:.  Then you'd need jacks and a case That I can handle.

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may also need an input receiver (for USB or multiple SPDIF). 

Twisted Pear also has their own support forum where you can find lots of other builders.  This link goes straight to the Buffalo section:  http://twistedpearaudio.com/forum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=19 If my amp building friend can't figure it out, there is little hope for me. However, I'll make sure that he has the http for the forum.
Thanks BJ

BradJudy

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2009, 11:02 pm »
Twisted Pear also sells transformers to match their power supplies.  I haven't built a Buffalo, but I've kept an eye on the product.  I believe their 9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer is the one used for the DAC board.

The IV stage is required because the DAC is a "current output" type, which means it doesn't put out appropriate voltage levels to drive adio equipment and it needs a current-voltage (IV) stage to make it into a proper voltage output.  TP sells two products that do this, the IVY: http://twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/ivy.aspx and the Counterpoint: http://twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/counterpoint.aspx

The Counterpoint is still "beta", so you'd probably want an IVY (or any number of third-party circuits).  Their IVY kits include the required power supply, but make sure to order a transformer to go with it.  The DAC and IV stage boards have very different voltage requirements, thus to two power supplies. 

Twisted Pear makes some neat and very modular products, but they do not provide step-by-step instructions.

sts9fan

« Reply #47 on: 3 May 2009, 11:46 pm »
also checkout the thread at diyaudio in the vendors bazzar

S Clark

« Reply #48 on: 4 May 2009, 02:11 am »
also checkout the thread at diyaudio in the vendors bazzar

Sorry, but it is 75 pages of stuff lacking a "how to" procedure or a specific parts list. It seems that if you don't know what a " LM4562" is or why it is prone to oscillation .....

It appears that the Buffalo dac is not a kit but a group of modules for the initiated to use in creating a dac.  My guy still wants to try it, but I think that I might be open to offers.  Apparently these are hard to come by.

Greg Erskine

« Reply #49 on: 4 May 2009, 09:05 am »
$5

S Clark

sts9fan

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2009, 03:01 pm »
I can go to $20

whubbard

« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2009, 03:36 pm »
Is this the new 32 Dac?

-West

sts9fan

« Reply #53 on: 4 May 2009, 03:37 pm »
For serious this may help

I can send you the PDF if you want

S Clark

« Reply #54 on: 4 May 2009, 03:40 pm »
Is this the new 32 Dac?

-West
No it was the $225 dollar dac + power supply from last December instead of the latest version around $500.

S Clark

« Reply #55 on: 4 May 2009, 03:42 pm »
For serious this may help

I can send you the PDF if you want

Wow! Now that's exactly what I needed!  Thank you so very much!

S Clark

« Reply #56 on: 4 May 2009, 03:48 pm »
and a pdf file would be great.   :D You have a PM.

Scott

jrebman

« Reply #57 on: 5 May 2009, 10:17 pm »
Scott,

Sorry, I thought you knew what you were getting into when I sold it to you.

After skimming the TPA forums I decided that I was not going to be able to do this on my own, and as I don't have any savvy builders nearby (excluding you Mike and Wayne -- but you're kind of far away) I decided to sell it.

Hope you don't think I was taking advantage of you as I never opened the package I got.

-- Jim