Mini Review WOW!!

stlrman

Mini Review WOW!!
« on: 27 Oct 2008, 08:00 pm »
Just received the minis in Cherry. Right out of the box here are my impressions. Holy SH##!!!!! The minis sound fantastic, amazing, astonishing, out of this world!   :thumb: :drool:   The bass is so deep and authoritative and just blooms into perfection.The mids when listening to Diana Krall are liquid smooth, her voice sounds like butter. The highs, sax trumpet sound perfect,no hint of glare,just powerful and blissful. The detail in the music that the minis bring out is amazing, but they are still very,  very musical and totally disappear, which is ashame as they are a work of art!!!!   I have read that there is no perfect speaker as there are always trade offs and compromises, but to my ears the minis are perfect speakers!!  :icon_lol: I am thrilled with there performance!! I trusted you guys with your reviews , and I thank all of you for leading me to to this purchase. All of my expectations were much exceded. I will enjoy these speakers for life, and can not see ever buying another set of speakers.
I am listening nearfield in my office for now,with the 250 watt Musical Fidelity A5, oppo cd, analysis plus speaker cable and Rat shack interconnect for now. Thanks also to Bob for taking the time and care to answer all of my questions.
Anyone near Pittsurgh Pa. please feel free to stop by for a listen. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Todd 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Mini Review WOW!!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:38 pm »
  I will enjoy these speakers for life, and can not see ever buying another set of speakers.

I never thought that I would be able to make this assertion, but I agree with you 100%!! And this is coming from a Browns fan! Go Figure!!  :green:

spence

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:45 pm »
Congrats Todd! Welcome to the SP Tech Club. Now get on over to the Audiogon Forums and spread the word. You've just bought a pair of the best sounding mini monitors available. Enjoy!!!

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2008, 12:13 am »
Thanks Konut and Spence. I have reached audio NIRVANA !! :D aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2008, 12:50 pm »
Todd, congrats on the Minis and the Nirvana.  :thumb:  If you would, tell us a little about the setup (room, treatment, distance from walls, etc)_.  Did you find it initially difficult to position the Minis, or did you have an Ah-Hah moment when you moved them (or your listening chair) to a certain spot?  Frank S and I had an ah-hah in the RMAF room setup when everything snapped into place, but failed to actually document the measurements.  Net/net, pretty classic...symmetric, 4-5 ft from front wall, slightly toed-in, etc.

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:47 pm »
Hi Ted,
Thanks. I have not seriously set them up, as they will eventually be in my livingroom.( when I am out of the dog house in a year or so) lol..  I tend to do most of my listening in my office anyway as I am a wedding photographer and spend many hours editing. When I am editing my ears are about 3 feet away from one speaker and they still sound great.  They may stay right here in my office as I listen about 5 hours a day here and would have to make a special trip up to living room to listen and do nothing but listen. The only scenario I can see way down the road is to buy another set of minis. :thumb: I have discussed the near field listening with Bob, and he tells me that it does have its advantages, but I am anxious to hear what they sound like 6 to 8 feet apart and 12 feet back.
They are about 2 feet and a few inches from the back wall. About 4 feet apart and I am sitting about 5 feet back, and they are on 20 inch plant stands tilted up about 2 inches. I have two sets of stands not in use yet. (26 inch and 34 inch) No Room treatments at all. So as you can see, I just kind of stuck them in my small office space. Room is about 11 by 13. So of course sound stage and imaging is not nearly what I'm sure these baby's can do, but they sound pretty darn great to my ears. aa :wink: They A5 seems to drive them with real authority. I will say that they do sound alot better at medium to  louder volumes which is fine by me as I like to kick it most of the time.  I have a couple of local folks who want to audition them ,so I will probably bring them up to the living room for a few hours of more serious listening, although I am sure they would impress anyone in this make shift space. Would love any suggestions or comments that you may provide.
Thanks, Todd

bbchem

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:16 pm »
 :lol:  CONGRATS!!  Stirman.

So now you believe me!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been screaming this on Audiogon and Audio Circle till my eyes bug out. Let me restate that anyone coming to my home to listen has emphatically stated that they have never heard anything ever like these!  There are times that I think that Bob made some freak mistake with my speakers because they sound so life like, I would like to hear someone elses to see if mine are not a Freak pair.
 :thumb: :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:59 pm »
Hi bbchem,
No, You do not have a freak pair of minis ,as mine sound freakishly and freaking amazing as well !! :drool: :o
You are one of the folks that got me started on the SP Tech journey, so I thank you !!
What kind of equipment do you have for your front end? I am loving the A5 with the Minis.
Thanks, Todd

bbchem

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2008, 01:38 pm »
 :D    I am using a Tad -60 tube amp with a NAD preamp and my  front end is a Cambridge Azur 640C with an old  Audio Alchemy DAc and I also use an Oppo for Sacds. Sound is sheer heaven!

:thumb: