ModWright Spectron Apogee

Macrel

ModWright Spectron Apogee
« on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:42 pm »
I own Apogee Duetta Sig. planar ribbon speakers and the Spectron Musician III SE Power Ampilfier. I also have an old Sound Valves VT100 preamp. I love the combo, but find the sound slightly edgy in the highs. I am considering a Modwright preamp, or another vacuum tub preamp to hopefully tame the beast a little - soften, warm-up, relax the sound a tad.

I would be interested in any preamp recommendations or experiences. I am also considering deHavilland preamps which to me sound musical and a little warm of neutral.
Thanks, Macrel

opnly bafld

Re: ModWright Spectron Apogee
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:52 pm »
Do you want/need remote control?

Macrel

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2008, 09:55 pm »
Remote is not important at this time. Also a little more info: I have all digital source using a Benchmark DAC1 with Sonos. Currently I use the sonos volume control.

IronLion

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2008, 10:01 pm »
As I understand it (never heard a MW pre though I own Dan's Transporter), a Modwright pre could be made to lean towards the sound you desire through tube rolling but their general approach to music reproduction would not be a step towards your desired sound.  There are probably better starting points for a warmish pre, but unfortunately I can't recommend any based on experience. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2008, 10:49 pm »
Well since this is the MW Circle, recommending non-MW products seems like it might be in bad taste?

You can tube roll MW units to shape your sound as most other tube preamps can be steered.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2008, 11:03 pm »
Yeah, unless you want only good MW chat and feedback (nothing wrong with that, MW pre's are incredible) you might want to take this to Audio Central.  BRM's comments are right on; either of Dan's pre's (but especially the 36.5) are quite susceptible to tube rolling and dialing in the last vestiges of sonic yin vs yang.  I use a 36.5 dual mono two-box with Spectron amps (Musician 3 Mark 2 monos) and love the combo... 8)

opnly bafld

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2008, 11:06 pm »
OP has already started another thread in audio central.