Step by step NAS setup?

rydenfan

Step by step NAS setup?
« on: 24 Oct 2008, 06:12 pm »
I am considering switching from my external hard drives to a Thecus 5200 Pro. I am wondering if there is a step by step guide anywhere that would help me make this transition??

I need to understand basic things like how to connect everything properly; how to rip my music to it instead of to my hard drive; how I use squeezecenter web interface; how I load updates, etc. I am sure others would benefit from this as well if something does not already exist...

Bill@LakeGeorge

Re: Step by step NAS setup?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2008, 01:51 pm »
I have a Ready Nas and it was simple just plug it in run supplied software and the Ready Nas showed up as a network drive on my pc.  I just pointed the SqueezeCenter software to it and everything was fine.  The longest part was loading 5,000 albums in flac onto the NAS, it took 4 days.

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2008, 03:52 am »
5,000 albums??? WOW!!

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2008, 03:47 pm »
I have a Ready Nas and it was simple just plug it in run supplied software and the Ready Nas showed up as a network drive on my pc.  I just pointed the SqueezeCenter software to it and everything was fine.  The longest part was loading 5,000 albums in flac onto the NAS, it took 4 days.

5000 albums in 4 days = 1250 albums per day = 52 albums/hr (if ripping 24 hrs/day which I doubt you did).   :o
Please clarify!

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2008, 06:45 pm »
I believe he meant he already had 5,000 albums ripped on external hard drives and it took 4 days to transfer to the NAS. I still cannot get over having that many albums...

sleepysurf

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2008, 08:43 pm »
I believe he meant he already had 5,000 albums ripped on external hard drives and it took 4 days to transfer to the NAS...

That's what I figured.  I guess the ReadyNAS is REALLY slow!

boead

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2008, 10:52 pm »
I believe he meant he already had 5,000 albums ripped on external hard drives and it took 4 days to transfer to the NAS...

That's what I figured.  I guess the ReadyNAS is REALLY slow!

not really, its fairly quick. It would take hours upon hours just to copy that much from hard drive to hard drive through the system BUS. The network is slower but plenty fast enough to stream Hi-Def video to multiple PCs at one time. I use 1TB NAS box's at home and in my office for backup and media serving (most have (2)1TB drives set for RAID-1).
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2008, 02:12 am by boead »

sleepysurf

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2008, 01:48 am »
My old BuffaloTech Linkstation NAS recently died, so I'm also looking for a new NAS.  The Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ ships with SqueezeCenter pre-installed, but there's been some negative comments about it in the Slimdevices forum (e.g. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54474)

The forthcoming RipNAS from the dbpoweramp folks looks interesting, particularly as an all-in-one ripping/storage solution.  Unfortunately, they haven't shipped yet, so no reviews available.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2008, 03:49 am »
I am considering switching from my external hard drives to a Thecus 5200 Pro. I am wondering if there is a step by step guide anywhere that would help me make this transition??

I need to understand basic things like how to connect everything properly; how to rip my music to it instead of to my hard drive; how I use squeezecenter web interface; how I load updates, etc. I am sure others would benefit from this as well if something does not already exist...

The Thecus 5200B Pro is a fabulous NAS device. I've been using it for a while now and had absolutely zero problems.

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2008, 03:57 pm »
The Thecus 5200B Pro is a fabulous NAS device. I've been using it for a while now and had absolutely zero problems.

That is the exact one I am looking at, good to know you like it.