Manual stick shift.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Manual stick shift.
« on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:08 pm »
I know, you also have automatic, and I've driven cars that have it, but I just luuv manual!
I currently drive a rather slow car, with 76bhp, it's a diesel, but I tell ya, you'd never guess!
And because it is so darn slow or mushy in the engine then, I really have to gun it with the leadfoot!
And I have to say, few people drive a 1991 Merc 2.0L diesel like I do.
I drive it like I stole it, every day.
I got it because I wanted to really learn how to handle a fast car, that is before I got it...
I was thinking at the time that it was about time I got me a W124, just to be able to say I Once had one.
And when I got her, I could not believe how well this car sticks to the tarmac!!!
Below like 75mph is the comfort zone really, and it is actually quite fast...

The trick is the way the pedals are positioned... it enables me to drive it like a race car...
Nah, he didn't? He actually outfitted a 2.0L diesel with a 76bhp output a race pedal set?
I DID!! I even got race camber om my wheels... I'm a stupid race fan with a silly slow car that I make
move like it propably never was intended, do I care? No!
I'll wear it to a wreck in a few years I believe, but 'I will have gained a awesome amount of driving experience!

So , any other Stick shift fans out there?

:thumb:

Imperial

Matt__P

Re: Manual stick shift.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:15 pm »
 I used to drive a '86 Dodge Omni GLHS. One of the original pocket rockets. That thing was crazy light and crazy fast!
It was the most fun I ever had driving a stick. Tires were almost impossible to find though
not many cars took a 205/50/15 back then.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:15 pm »
Haven't owned anything except a stick other than my first car back in '82.
Not a race car like yours, but now driving a Dodge Ram Quad Cab with V8/6 speed stick.

Planning on trading to a new Camaro next year.
300hp v6, and also 6 speed stick.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:16 pm »
Yes every driver wants a stick. The new F1 types are OK such as in the new Audi/VW but stick is were its out. I cut my teeth on a eclipse turbo. havent had slushbox since

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:36 pm »
Learned to drive on a '91 F-150 with a 5spd, been driving an auto for the last few years though. I really miss a manual. It's a requirement for my next vehicle.

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:45 pm »
I loved driving a manual too, did it for many years while I lived in Princeton, NJ... In the city its way too much a pain in the ass, erm knee.
Mike

Drove a Mitsubishi Tredia Turbo 5 speed, Toyota MR2 5 speed... sweet.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:52 pm »
Long ago, I drove Triumphs and still had one until four years ago.  Needless to say, I've grown fond of manual transmissions and prefer them.  The one thing that puzzles me is that there seem to be fewer cars available on the US lots equipped with manuals.  It seems that manual transmissions have become less popular in this country as time passes.  I wonder if that's a global phenomenon?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2008, 05:57 pm »
Yup... they get higher fuel economy (on average, some of the newer 5-spd automatics are doing pretty good), cost less up front and tend to be more reliable.   Its a little of a push because replacing a clutch can be expensive.   If you know how to drive though, the clutch should last a LONG time in a modern car. 

I like the control and since I drive a little fuel sipper, it gives a little extra umph compared to most automatic transmissions.   

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:03 pm »
5 speed lover here :inlove: (every car I've owned except brief period with a Honda Accord company car).

I think DSG's from VW/Audi to be better (they are as fuel efficient, thankfully) and will likely move to it - partly to appease my wife in case she ever needs a second vehicle to use (I travel a lot).

Matt_P - former owner of 1985 Dodge Omni GLH (no 's').  Plenty fast enough without the variable nozzle turbo and ran on equally weird 195/50/15's back then.  The cable shifter on that car was a bad, bad joke...it had a cheapie plastic nub at the end that broke a lot.  It was quite likely the worst 5 speed I've ever driven - 1st gear was near impossible to find under any circumstance (hi revs or not).

But, I couldn't afford a VW GTI at that point in my life..which I happily remedied in 1991  :)

The Omni/Horizon series was lifted part and parcel from either Renault or Peugeot design back in the early-80's...and I don't think the French much thought well of it, either. It was probably Renault, as Chrysler eventually purchased the Jeep brand from them.
John

Andrikos

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:14 pm »
My car only comes in a manual 6-speed.
Automatics are for pu$$i3$! ;)

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:15 pm »
Until recently I've always had manuals.  Manuals suck in traffic and I hated having to drive my Honda Civic coupe (manual) in LA traffic.  So, if it is a commuter vehicle then auto is nice, otherwise stick rules.

mikef

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2008, 07:06 pm »
I have an 05 Honda Accord 4 cylinder with the 5 speed manual tranny. This car is annoyingly SLOW with the automatic, but the 5 speed really perks it up, as well as giving better mpg. I routinely get 26-28mpg around town, and 33-34 on the highway. It's also more fun to drive the stick.  :D

Manuals aren't that bad in traffic - you just have to get used to it. Of course, my left calf is about twice the size of my right calf from all the exercise I get from constantly pressing and releasing the clutch...

Mike Fox

gary

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2008, 09:29 pm »
I've got an '08 VW GLI w/ the DSG transmission... it's the best on the market, and I have to think that in a few years it will be the standard. I will certainly not be going back to a manual.

If you don't believe me, do a quick search for "DSG launch control" on youtube. Fun stuff.

Gary

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2008, 09:36 pm »
funny thing is I learned after graduating college from my younger brother (dodge omni or horizon!). I had a dirt bike when younger, so I knew the basics.
moved to SF and had nothing but manuals: (then/1991) 90madza protege > 99honda accord > 01honda accord > 06acura tsx (now/2008)
all fair powered cars, so MT helps get out that extra ounce of power and I am no racer but it just feels strange driving auto I just like controlling the engine

Philistine

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2008, 09:48 pm »
I've got an '08 VW GLI w/ the DSG transmission... it's the best on the market, and I have to think that in a few years it will be the standard. I will certainly not be going back to a manual.

If you don't believe me, do a quick search for "DSG launch control" on youtube. Fun stuff.

Gary

Couldn't agree more - with the new generation gearboxes (such as DSG) acceleration times and gas mileage are better than the manual versions, they are safer as you have both hands on the wheel and they're incredible fun to drive.  These new 'automatic' gear boxes are completely different animals to the traditional torque converter automatics that are slow at shifting and power draining.  F1 race cars have these for a reason - faster and having the driver concentrate on the road, not having to push a stupid stick and dropping engine revs by taking his foot off the gas pedal.
A few years ago I had an Audi A4, and bought this specifically with CVT (continuously variable transmission), having an infinite number of gear ratios is a blast!  

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2008, 09:56 pm »
F1 race cars have these for a reason - faster and having the driver concentrate on the road, not having to push a stupid stick and dropping engine revs by taking his foot off the gas pedal.

If you drive at 10/10ths on the street and need to shave .05 seconds off a "lap" like an F1 driver you should have your keys taken away.
If you lose concentration by shifting an MT you need to get off the cell phone.
Who lifts when shifting?
The slight rpm drop helps keep the engine in the power band (just like any other tranny).

MTs  :thumb:

Lin :wink:

byteme

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:06 pm »
Only car I've ever had that wasn't manual was a winter beater truck that I drove when I parked my 300Z while it snowed here.  Otherwise wouldn't touch one.

2005 G35 6MT, before that 2000 S2000, 1991 300ZX, 1987 Jetta GLX, 1983 VW Rabbit diesel, 1981 VW Rabbit diesel...

My wife also much prefers manual transmission - although that may change w/ her next car since Infiniti doesn't make the G35x w/ a manual.

yo2tup

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:33 pm »
Just got me a 06 Pontiac GTO 6 speed.  400 horsepower of manual fun!  :green: :green: :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:55 pm »
--06 Pontiac GTO 6 speed--  :drool: Amen Brother!!  aa

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2008, 11:42 pm »

Gary

Couldn't agree more - with the new generation gearboxes (such as DSG) acceleration times and gas mileage are better than the manual versions, they are safer as you have both hands on the wheel and they're incredible fun to drive.  These new 'automatic' gear boxes are completely different animals to the traditional torque converter automatics that are slow at shifting and power draining.  F1 race cars have these for a reason - faster and having the driver concentrate on the road, not having to push a stupid stick and dropping engine revs by taking his foot off the gas pedal.
A few years ago I had an Audi A4, and bought this specifically with CVT (continuously variable transmission), having an infinite number of gear ratios is a blast!  

I drove a friend's A6 once that had a CVT...while I liked driving the car, I found it incredibly boring. Having that hand on the shifter and using your feet make me feel like I'm connected to the car in a way that I don't get with a CVT or those horrible "manumatic" things.

I tried to drive a friend's 1940s Chevy pickup...that thing was an exercise, I had never driven something without a syncromesh transmission before, it kicked my ass the first time but once you start getting the hang of it, it really makes you feel like you're in control of the vehicle :)

Maybe I'm just a Luddite. I like tube amps, wouldn't be the first time :P