One final (mostly) NEW Dynaco SCA-35 Integrated Amp - "E Pluribus Unum" FINISHED

Bill Thomas

Dear Frank,

If I can help, I am only too happy to do so.  That said, it seems that the bulk of the requests are for items that must be sourced from "parts units".

The Items in highest demand are PAS "Blend Switches" (of which I have ZERO NOS stock).  Also, NOS Volume Controls are also now down to "Zero Stock."  (I actually have ONE left, but it is already committed to another project "in the works.")

Robbing existing "working" PAS preamplifiers isn't exactly a "cost-effective" solution, so my ability to provide those parts is EXTREMELY limited.  I have two blend switches "in process", but will not be able to supply any more than that.  Since they are already "spoken for", it would be wise to let people know that I won't be able to help with any more.

I am down to just a few remaining NOS balance controls.  Once they are gone, there won't be any more of them either.

To say the least, I was hit pretty hard when I originally began offering replacement parts for these preamps.  To the folks who were able to score a NOS control or a good "pull" from an existing unit, count yourself pretty lucky!

Not all is bleak, however.  There are still quite a few other items "in inventory."  Also, I have not been able to inventory EVERYTHING in storage yet.  It is always possible that more items will surface later.  I'll keep everyone posted when that happens.

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

bregez

Bill, I have a quick question that you may be able to answer.

I recently cleaned the all the controls on my Dynaco preamp with some Deoxit D5. Being over 30 years old they needed a good soaking.  However, the “action” of the controls is now light making them feel cheap.   What is the best way to restore the smooth somewhat resisting action back to the controls?  I have searched around and there is something called “Damping Grease” that people use on microscopes, surveying instruments, and camera equipment that may work.   The grease is expensive so I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative.
Thanks,
Brad R.

Bill Thomas

Dear Brad,

There is a REALLY *cheap* alternative available at any auto parts store.  Dielectric Grease.  It is silicone-based and has the characteristics you are looking for, BUT  (ain't there ALWAYS a "but"?)  you have to figure a way to apply it between the control shaft and the front mounting piece.  You *don't* want any of this stuff getting on the contact surfaces of the control.  Ideally, you would coat the shaft and slide it back into place.  It will restore that slight bit of "cushioned resistance" you are looking for.

Hope this helps somehow.

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas