VR4 gen III to VR5 Anniversary modification

vgregory

Re: VR4 gen III to VR5 Anniversary modification
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2009, 01:09 am »

The VR5 anniversary is a twenty-five thousand dollar speaker.  If the upgrade gets you to that level of sound, the $14K starts making sense, no?

No. 

There are a lot of speakers in the $14K catagory that you can buy new....I don't consider this an upgrade.

How are you comparing a $14K loudspeaker to a $25K loudspeaker and coming to the conclusion that they are of equal quality? Sounds to me like you're comparing apples to oranges and automatically coming to the conclusion that they are equal. :scratch: Seems to me the only way to accurately come to this conclusion would be to compare the 2 side by side. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

You are absoutley correct.

VSA_JOE - But why do a VR5 Anniversary upgrade - why not a upgrade of the drivers, crossover, etc... so it would be more palable... just asking. thks !

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2009, 01:57 am »
I just want to further the understanding that $14K spent on an upgrad to a VR-5 Anni is -- well, a bargain... There is NO WAY I could imagin to spend $14K to get this kind of sound AND a 10 Year Warranty, as Joe has indicated comes with the upgrade. You might be able to buy something as good as the VR-5 Anni on the used market for $14K -- maybe not. The point is, you would certainly NOT get 10 years peace of mind with any such second-hand purchase...

Just my two hundredths of a buck... Thanks everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Delacroix

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2009, 02:58 am »
I just want to further the understanding that $14K spent on an upgrad to a VR-5 Anni is -- well, a bargain... There is NO WAY I could imagin to spend $14K to get this kind of sound AND a 10 Year Warranty, as Joe has indicated comes with the upgrade. You might be able to buy something as good as the VR-5 Anni on the used market for $14K -- maybe not. The point is, you would certainly NOT get 10 years peace of mind with any such second-hand purchase...

Just my two hundredths of a buck... Thanks everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Greg -- welcome to the VSA circle - good to have you here. Look forward to reading more from you.  And indeed to everyone who has given this forum the energy needed to succeed -- it's just under four months old and going strong. Happy new year to all.

Delacroix

VSA_JOE

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:15 am »

The VR5 anniversary is a twenty-five thousand dollar speaker.  If the upgrade gets you to that level of sound, the $14K starts making sense, no?

No. 

There are a lot of speakers in the $14K catagory that you can buy new....I don't consider this an upgrade.

How are you comparing a $14K loudspeaker to a $25K loudspeaker and coming to the conclusion that they are of equal quality? Sounds to me like you're comparing apples to oranges and automatically coming to the conclusion that they are equal. :scratch: Seems to me the only way to accurately come to this conclusion would be to compare the 2 side by side. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

You are absoutley correct.

VSA_JOE - But why do a VR5 Anniversary upgrade - why not a upgrade of the drivers, crossover, etc... so it would be more palable... just asking. thks !

Hello Gregory, I'm sorry for taking so long to responding to your question, we just got done with everything CES.

I'm a bit confused about your question, because the upgrade does consist of upgrades to the crossover, and drivers. If you meant why not offer a cheaper upgrade, then the answer to that is simple. The reason we offer these upgrades is because we get some calls about them from time to time, for example a customer buys VR-4SRs, then gets a better job, or comes into some money and now wants a better speaker, we would then offer to upgrade his current VR-4SR to the newer VR-5 using his old cabinets(installing all new components), so that he wouldn't have to buy new speakers at full price, and deal with selling his older pair. Theres a big difference in sound between the VR-4SR and the VR-5 Annies, and to offer an upgrade that puts the sound quality in between the VR-4SR and the VR-5 just seems like we're trying to milk our customers for money. We feel the VR-4SR is superb the way it is, and the only acceptable step up in our eyes is the VR-5s. Nothing in between. I hope this helps everyone understand the price tag.