New system on its way....

el dub

Re: New system on its way....
« Reply #40 on: 2 Dec 2008, 03:39 pm »
All audio is swell on the prairie at present.

With the manley running on all cylinders, we're now able to hear what the xrs 6.5 alnico's can really do. And my favorite listening spot is now back in the living room where it belongs.  8) The detail and imaging are wonderful with a little smoother presentation than the kitchen system provides due to better acoustics in that part of the house.

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #41 on: 2 Dec 2008, 05:10 pm »
el dub, what have you found in terms of break-in for the 6" alnicos? I've got about 10 -15 hours on mine and still waiting on the DeepHemp. My previous setup (now gone) was Compact Hemps with ACI sub.

So far I'm finding richer tone with the 6" Alnicos. Bass attack is also more highly articulated (less fat). I'm still playing with placement to optimize soundstage and image. Even fairly small changes in angle and position can lead to noticeable changes in the image / soundstage.

Kent

el dub

« Reply #42 on: 2 Dec 2008, 07:08 pm »
Glad to hear your speakers arrived.

Break in has been easy with our omegas. I noticed a little edge on both sets the day they arrived in out of the cold, but that was short lived.

The deep hemp cube, on the other hand, just sounds more and more supple each day.

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #43 on: 2 Dec 2008, 07:18 pm »
Glad to hear your speakers arrived.

Break in has been easy with our omegas. I noticed a little edge on both sets the day they arrived in out of the cold, but that was short lived.

The deep hemp cube, on the other hand, just sounds more and more supple each day.

lw
Thanks. I anxious to get the DeepHemp and hear the full effect of the new system!

Louis O

« Reply #44 on: 2 Dec 2008, 11:11 pm »
Hi el dub,

Looks like it all coming together now. I still haven't got the NOS stuff yet. I will soon and get the 70 tricked out. My monos will need the full treatment too.

Hi Kent,

The sub is all veneered and almost set. Hope it will go at the end of the week.

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #45 on: 2 Dec 2008, 11:59 pm »
Hi el dub,

Looks like it all coming together now. I still haven't got the NOS stuff yet. I will soon and get the 70 tricked out. My monos will need the full treatment too.

Hi Kent,

The sub is all veneered and almost set. Hope it will go at the end of the week.

Thanks,
Louis

Thanks Louis, I can't wait!

It has taken me awhile to get the 6s dialed in for optimal imaging, but today I finally broke the code...

I was using a slab of granite to raise driver height on the Compact Hemps to ear level. Driver centers on the 6s are a few inches higher compared the CHs. Today I removed the granite (lowering the drivers about 1 1/4"). I also moved my listening chair further away from the speakers.

I'm reaching that point where musicians stand BEHIND the speakers, a solo vocalist rises well above the top of the speakers, and there's plenty of air surrounding musicians.

So they already sound mighty fine, even without the sub.

Kent

el dub

« Reply #46 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:36 pm »
I'm happy to say both our systems are now firing on all cylinders. And the last tweak was one of the biggest. I finally switched out the terminated dual 12 ga leads from the manley to the omega xrs with single strands of unterminated solid copper 10 ga wire. (The kitchen system also uses 10 ga wire.) And now its difficult to tell the difference between the two systems when moving between rooms. The Omega xrs's had a little less detail than the monitors and put the listener further back in the room until I changed the speaker leads the other day. The results are amazing.

Also, through trial and error, I've found that the german pre-amp tubes beat the snot out of the rest of the competition. Bass response seems to be the biggest improvement.

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #47 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:56 pm »
Great to hear.

What type of 10 gauge wire are you using? I've got AntiCable to my 6 Alnico Monitors, and the sound is great. It must be around 10 gauge (but I've never tried any other wire on my Omega's to compare differences).

I got my mitts on some high-def audiophile and studio master recordings. I'm in awe at what I'm hearing. Even good commercial stuff like Diana Krall and Patricia Barber doesn't measure up. Talk about spooky real!

el dub

« Reply #48 on: 3 Mar 2009, 03:34 pm »
We're using anti-cable unterminated 10 ga.  :D

Anti-cable is typically 12 ga, but they keep a small supply of 10 ga on hand. (It's dirt cheap unterminated and uncut.)

The difference between the 10 ga and 12 ga is startling, imo.

lw

Louis O

« Reply #49 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:34 am »
Hi El dub,

The anti cable is one of the best values out there.

Thanks,
Louis

shaizada

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2009, 08:14 pm »
Alwayswantmore,

What audiophile and studio master recordings are you listening to?  Just curious :)
It is all about the music after all!

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #51 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:18 am »
Alwayswantmore,

What audiophile and studio master recordings are you listening to?  Just curious :)
It is all about the music after all!

PM sent.

santacore

« Reply #52 on: 8 Mar 2009, 06:07 am »

Does it beat the DMC cable with the Omega's? If so, I need to get some.

el dub

« Reply #53 on: 8 Mar 2009, 01:25 pm »
I hear that DMC is introducing a 10 ga cable. THAT would prolly be my cable of choice...

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #54 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:33 pm »

Does it beat the DMC cable with the Omega's? If so, I need to get some.
I like the DMC concept. And would love to hear them in my system. Louis is pretty high on DMC too.

Right now I'm saving my audio budget to buy a set of drums, so even modest expenses like DMC are being put off for now.

Hopefully someone else has done this comparison.

el dub

« Reply #55 on: 8 Mar 2009, 05:00 pm »
LOL We already have a house full of drums, so I've been forced to spend money on old tubes these days.  :icon_lol:

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2009, 06:40 pm »
LOL We already have a house full of drums, so I've been forced to spend money on old tubes these days.  :icon_lol:

lw
Completely off topic... but after 30 years of not playing, the beginning of Feb I got drafted in a group doing 50s / 60s R&R. Luckily the keyboard player has a decent set of Pearls to get me started. We had our first paid gig last Friday night. Rough around the edges, but the crowd still liked what they heard. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play live. Now I have two great outlets for my love for music  :thumb: