balanced or unbalanced????

racerxnet

balanced or unbalanced????
« on: 14 Oct 2008, 07:03 am »
 Hi everyone,

I have not connected the Pre Amp to amp with balanced connectors due to the crossover of the RS1b being unbalanced. From what I understand, their is a gain difference using either/or. Is this correct that I will have a difference in volume between the balanced and unbalanced? Right now all inter connects are 1 meter long. I am using all 4 unbalanced connections on the BP25. Two for the mid/high panels, and the other 2 for the bass towers.

Is there active output on balanced and unbalanced on the BP25 so that I might be able to experiment with using both outputs at the same time? Ie; balanced to the mid/high panels while staying with unbalanced for the bass towers?

BP25
4 x 7BST
Infinity RS1B
1 meter inter connects

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: balanced or unbalanced????
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2008, 03:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have not connected the Pre Amp to amp with balanced connectors due to the crossover of the RS1b being unbalanced. From what I understand, their is a gain difference using either/or. Is this correct that I will have a difference in volume between the balanced and unbalanced? Right now all inter connects are 1 meter long. I am using all 4 unbalanced connections on the BP25. Two for the mid/high panels, and the other 2 for the bass towers.

Is there active output on balanced and unbalanced on the BP25 so that I might be able to experiment with using both outputs at the same time? Ie; balanced to the mid/high panels while staying with unbalanced for the bass towers?

BP25
4 x 7BST
Infinity RS1B
1 meter inter connects

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

MAK

Hi MAK,

It has been a while since I looked at the back of a 7B ST -  do your units have the 1V and 2V sensitivity switches?
Also I assume your bass towers have no gain and only let you turn the volume down?

james

racerxnet

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2008, 07:08 am »
James,

I do not have any sensitivity switches on the back of the amps.. Is there any sonic benefits to running balanced for such a short cable length?

MAK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2008, 10:11 am »
James,

I do not have any sensitivity switches on the back of the amps.. Is there any sonic benefits to running balanced for such a short cable length?

MAK

Hi MAK,

Here is what I wrote on another post:

There has always been this issue with Balanced vs Unbalanced lines and the plus and minus of both. So if your system uses short interconnects then the advantages of common mode noise cancellation in Balanced circuits are not as critical. In that case the single ended unbalanced input (RCA) makes sense. If your running long interconnects where the amps are a long way from your source components and your using short speaker cables the Balanced XLR interconnect lines make sense.

Also there are a number of ways to do Balanced lines (transformers, IC's, Discrete operational amplifiers etc.) and how well these circuits are implemented affect the overall performance of your system

The issue I see though is that in the real world we are constantly being bombarded by RF and other types of electromagnetic energy (cell phones, florescent light etc.) so using Balanced lines will prevent the outside world from affecting the noise floor of your system. In our case we spend a lot of time developing products that have incredibly low noise floors and to give that all up to ravishes of outside RF influences reduces the performance benefits we work so hard to achieve.

So definitely try both ways (Single ended and Balanced) and see which sounds best in your particular setup.

james
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2008, 11:33 am by James Tanner »