Vintage "Film" Cameras Talk.

SET Man

Re: Vintage "Film" Cameras Talk.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:42 am »
Nice work, Buddy  :thumb: :thumb: I'm still working my way through a roll of Tri-X on my last remaining vintage camera, a folding Zeiss Ikon Contessa....

Hey!

Thanks John. :D To be honest I ruined 3 frames... 1 because I clicked the shutter by mistake and 2 to the shutter setting, I got confused because they marked "M" and "T" of which "T" is what's more commonly know today as "B"  :lol:

Zeiss Ikon Contessa? One with coupled rangefinder? That is a pretty one. I do have an older 6X9 Ikonta and 6X4.5 Ikonta... haven't use them for a long time now, hope the bellows still good.  :roll:

Well, keep us posted. I would love to see pics from it. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:29 am »
SET Man's pics show that what Baron von Richtofen said is still true: "It's not the crate, it's the operator."

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:39 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Talking about vintage camera and black & white film.
A few years back in Canada my boss asked me if I could bring to the lab a black & white film that's been sitting in his Kodak camera for (Believe it or not) 35 years.
I was exposed with some pictures he did not remembered and the camera was sitting in a drawer for decades.
I got the film process for him and sure enough, the lab printed the photos of his neighbor house and some other photos of the area around is house.
A amazing...
I don't think you could do that with a color film.
I had some Kodak VPS Vericolor film in my freezer, but after 3 to 4 years frozen solid, when processed they showed some color shift.
Guy 13

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2013, 03:14 pm »
SET Man's pics show that what Baron von Richtofen said is still true: "It's not the crate, it's the operator."

Hey!

The Red Baron did said that didn't he? Thanks Cooper. :D But dose the "crate" refer to an airplane?

I have to admit that two of the cameras I posted here, the Kodak "Brownie" and Zeiss Box Tengor were the P&S camera of their days. As the old Kodak's slogan said "You press the button, we do the rest" So, with those cameras back than anyone can just press the button and leave the darkroom technicians to do the rest. As I do my own B&W I can imagine what those darkroom technicians have to deal with back than, think of how many not-so-perfect negatives they have to deal with trying to make prints out of them.  :roll:

But it is sure a lot easier taking pictures these days with modern digital cameras. No wonder you don't see a lot of action photos of your parents or grandparents.  :lol:

Hi all Audio Circle members.
Talking about vintage camera and black & white film.
A few years back in Canada my boss asked me if I could bring to the lab a black & white film that's been sitting in his Kodak camera for (Believe it or not) 35 years.
I was exposed with some pictures he did not remembered and the camera was sitting in a drawer for decades.
I got the film process for him and sure enough, the lab printed the photos of his neighbor house and some other photos of the area around is house.
A amazing...
I don't think you could do that with a color film.
I had some Kodak VPS Vericolor film in my freezer, but after 3 to 4 years frozen solid, when processed they showed some color shift.
Guy 13

Well, that's to expected from old out dated film... loss of speed, contrast and color shift for color film.

You can help extend the life of film by keep them in freezer. I do keep films that I know I won't use for a while in freezer and some of those in the fridge ready to go.

Yes, I've heard story of old film left in camera, it is harder to find lab that can develop them these day especially with odd old format. But there are still a few specialize labs that can do this. Still if it is an old Kodachrome than you might be out of luck since I don't think anyone have chemicals for that film anymore.

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:05 am »
Hey!

Guys, I recently acquired one of the cutest little film camera :D

The Werra....

Carl Zeiss Jena "Werramatic" by setpower1, on Flickr

A late model Werramatic to be exact. :D

It is a very clever designed camera. The lens cover also act as a lens hood, neat!

As with some of the European cameras of it's time, the back pop right out to load the film in. And this particular specimen was originally purchased at Wallace Heaton LTD Camera store in England. The golden sticker is still there on the camera.

I've been wanting one for a while and here it is. 1960's Werra 35mm film camera made in East Germany by Carl Zeiss Jena.

This model have coupled selenium meter, coupled rangefinder and a neat prism in the finder so you can see the shutter and aperture setting on the lens barrel. Once very unique feature on this camera is that to advance the film and set the shutter. Also, the camera have 3 interchangeable lenses, the standard 50mm, 35mm and 100mm. The camera is a bit awkward to operate due to it's size.

The camera is in overall excellent condition and previous owner had it CLAed early last year. I loaded it up my first roll with this camera and took a little walk in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and finished the roll a few days later around Madison Square Park, NYC.

Here are some pictures from that roll...

"Marble statue of Aphrodite" Metropolitan Museum of Art by setpower1, on Flickr

"Marble statue of Aphrodite" Metropolitan Museum of Art by setpower1, on Flickr

"Marble statue of Aphrodite" Metropolitan Museum of Art

Edgar Degas' "The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer" Metropolitan Museum of Art by setpower1, on Flickr

Edgar Degas' "The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer" Metropolitan Museum of Art

Madison Square Park's Art "Red, Yellow and Blue" by Orly Genger by setpower1, on Flickr

Madison Square Park's Art "Red, Yellow and Blue" by Orly Genger by setpower1, on Flickr

Madison Square Park's Art "Red, Yellow and Blue" by Orly Genger

The pictures came out better than I expected actually. That East German Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8 lens is excellent even after all these years, amazing. Film used was Fuji Provia 100F. Even though the built-in meter works and seems to work fine for most situation, I carried my trusty Minolta Auto Meter VF along also. I used Sony A700 DSLR and Sony 100mm f2.8 Macro lens were used for digital conversion. Some correction done on Lightroom 4 to make the it looks as close as the original slide as possible. Also, color correction were done on some of those pictures taken at the Met museum since Fuji Provia is a daylight film.

It is a well made camera and even after 40+ years the design still looks great today. The finish reminded me and feel like finish on my 13" Apple MackBook Pro.

Well, it is a cute and quirky little rangefinder camera. There a few more pictures from the first roll here.... http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHhKZK4

Take care,

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2014, 01:14 am by SET Man »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:16 am »
Good score and great photos, Buddy!

SET Man

« Reply #26 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:57 am »
Good score and great photos, Buddy!

Hey!

Thanks, Russell  :D

I haven't run another roll through it since that first roll. With that great old 50mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens that surprised me, maybe next time I'll run a roll of B&W through it :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #27 on: 6 Oct 2013, 04:04 am »
Hey!

Well, since this thread is already about vintage film camera, I will post this here...

"125 Years Later, Here's What Photos from the Kodak No. 1 Looked Like"

From "Popular Photography"...

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2013/09/125-years-later-heres-what-photos-kodak-no-1-looked

A look back at George Eastman and his Kodak company's "Kodak No.1", the first camera aimed for making photography easier and more affordable for the masses. This camera really changes the world of photography.

It is very interesting that the images from early Kodak's camera like the No. 1 are circular bordered.

Check out The National Media Museum's Flickr for more pictures from the Kodak No.1...
http://flic.kr/s/aHsiYuPg2N

The do have other interesting other old photos on their account.

Also, see my first post of this thread about my Kodak Brownie box camera, a descendant of the Kodak No. 1.

Take care,

navi

« Reply #28 on: 6 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm »
I bought this off Ebay $195
Zenit fotosniper "made in the USSR" with a 300mm lens

I haven't put a roll a film through it yet as I prefer my other Zenit with 58mm lens

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 6 Oct 2013, 03:48 pm »
Hey!

The Red Baron did said that didn't he? Thanks Cooper. :D But dose the "crate" refer to an airplane?

I assume so

Yes, I've heard story of old film left in camera, it is harder to find lab that can develop them these day especially with odd old format. But there are still a few specialize labs that can do this. Still if it is an old Kodachrome than you might be out of luck since I don't think anyone have chemicals for that film anymore.

Take care,

There was one lab worldwide that was still doing K-chrome for about a year after production halted in 2009. That option is gone. RIP Kodachrome.

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:13 am »

There was one lab worldwide that was still doing K-chrome for about a year after production halted in 2009. That option is gone. RIP Kodachrome.

Hey!

The Kodachrome thing is really sad. I a few Kodachrome slides from the early '90s and they are still look great, just like Paul Simon's song said. Sadly I used more of the E6 back than because it was more convenience to develop, and some of them from the same period as my Kodachrome are starting to show some sign of degrading now. Should have used more Kodachrome  :?

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #31 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:36 am »
I bought this off Ebay $195
Zenit fotosniper "made in the USSR" with a 300mm lens

I haven't put a roll a film through it yet as I prefer my other Zenit with 58mm lens

Hey!

Man! Navi, is that a camera or a rocket launcher?  :o "fotosniper" sound right for that.

I don't have any Russian/USSR camera. The closest one would be my Exa Version 4, I think... stamped "U.S.S.R OCCUPIED" at the bottom, it came with Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2.  :D

Take care,

Folsom

« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:45 am »
I played around with nikon F Apollo for a bit. Then Olympus OM2n and OM4. The OM2n is my fav little SLR for size. But my old Minolta XE-7 has the smoothest winding ever. I still have it because of that and the m42 adapter and pentax lenses. Someday I'd like to try pentax LX with lenses. I just prefer pentax lens rendering.

But my real prefence is my M2 button rewind. I could only afford a 50mm 1.8 canon ltm lens though. I like it since it's all steel and brass from 50's unlike the later canon lenses with black barrel adjuster (mines chrome). Someday I'll be down to spend $7k on a new Leica lens but I'll just get their monochome rangefinder the too. Maybe I'll grab a canon 35mm ltm though.

Funny thing is I mostly use my Yashica T4 all the time be because it's easy to tote. But some time I might get my Olympus D3 half frame operational and carry it too.

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:50 am »
Hi Navi and all Audio Circle members.
My very first 35mm SLR was a Zenith when I was 26 years old.
The next day, I've went back to the store
and exchange it for a Minota SRT-101
because it looked nicer and had a wider choice of lenses and accessories.
I've stayed many years with Minolta before switching to Nikon.

Guy 13

SET Man

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:03 am »
I played around with nikon F Apollo for a bit. Then Olympus OM2n and OM4. The OM2n is my fav little SLR for size. But my old Minolta XE-7 has the smoothest winding ever. I still have it because of that and the m42 adapter and pentax lenses. Someday I'd like to try pentax LX with lenses. I just prefer pentax lens rendering.

But my real prefence is my M2 button rewind. I could only afford a 50mm 1.8 canon ltm lens though. I like it since it's all steel and brass from 50's unlike the later canon lenses with black barrel adjuster (mines chrome). Someday I'll be down to spend $7k on a new Leica lens but I'll just get their monochome rangefinder the too. Maybe I'll grab a canon 35mm ltm though.

Funny thing is I mostly use my Yashica T4 all the time be because it's easy to tote. But some time I might get my Olympus D3 half frame operational and carry it too.

Hi Navi and all Audio Circle members.
My very first 35mm SLR was a Zenith when I was 26 years old.
The next day, I've went back to the store
and exchange it for a Minota SRT-101
because it looked nicer and had a wider choice of lenses and accessories.
I've stayed many years with Minolta before switching to Nikon.

Guy 13

Hey!

Talk about Minolta. The SRT-101 is a great film camera. Although my first camera was Minolta AF camera. A few years ago bought a SRT-101 and it is a very nice film camera. It was very advance for it's time, it was the first or among the first camera to use what we called "matrix" multi-cell metering system with it's two cells meter system. Minolta sold a ton of these and really put Minolta on a map of SLR camera back than.

The XE-7? I don't have this but I know that the body was used as a based for Leica R3 or R4 I think. Another great old film SLRs from Minolta. Sadly, Minolta dumped the old mount when their came out with AF with a new A-mount system and I think that was one of the things that started the demise of Minolta as a camera maker.  :?

But the A-mount live on with Sony DSLR of which I'm using right now. But once in a while I will take out my old Minolta SLR film cams for a spin for the fun of it.

Take care,

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:10 am »
Hey!

The closest one would be my Exa Version 4, I think... stamped "U.S.S.R OCCUPIED" at the bottom, it came with Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2.  :D

Take care,

I grew up on Exacta and used one through much of my college days.  My father was always a fan of that 58mm Biotar.....

SET Man

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:22 am »
I grew up on Exacta and used one through much of my college days.  My father was always a fan of that 58mm Biotar.....

Hey!

I can see why your father was a fan of the Carl Zeiss Jena 58mm Biotar. I was surprised when got back the test roll of slides from my Exa with that lens. Excellent lens even when compared it to the modern ones. Pretty amazing for a lens that old. :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #37 on: 9 Mar 2014, 01:06 am »
Hey!

Came across this on Popular Photography... "Oklahoma City Time Capsule Reveals Century Old Negatives, Still
Inside the Camera"

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2014/02/oklahoma-city-time-capsule-reveals-century-old-negatives-still-inside-camera

I like this story. It is amazing that someone actually took time to take those photos and packed it away with the camera in the time capsule. I'm sure he or she probably wonder what people in the future will react when they see them a century later.

A good find for sure and show how a well preserved negatives can last. A century from now it will still be possible to convert old negatives in to photograph again using scanner or camera to do so.

I doubt that my HDDs with my photos on them will last that long. So, I have no choice but to keep transferring them on to the new one or new way/new format of digital storage until I'm gone  :roll:

Take care,

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2014, 02:26 am »

Hi all.
I have a somehow similar story.
About 40 years ago, my boss told me that he as found a loaded camera
at the bottom of a drawer and asked me if I could find a lab
that could develop the film, because according to him,
the film was something like 30 years old. (126 format,
the ones that are old like me, might remember)
So I got the film processed
and when I showed the pictures to my boss,
he told me that he remembered taking the picture 25 years ago.
That film was a black and white and it was in very good condition.
Recording time that can last for a very, very long time.
I keep all the negatives of the pictures I take.
Unfortunately, today with digital everything, it's much more trouble to
make sure the format can still be use in 10, 30 or even 100 years from now.
That's why I print my digital pictures, prints can last a very long time when stored properly.   

Guy 13

SET Man

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jul 2014, 04:14 am »
Hey!

Since it is about vintage film camera....

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/06/arca-swiss-4x5-camera-used-ansel-adams-auction

Wow! Cameras once belong and used by Ansel Adam. Talk about story and history behind that cameras.  :o

Take care,