Firewire 6pin to 6pin power blocking adapter

weggis

Firewire 6pin to 6pin power blocking adapter
« on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:22 pm »
Hi all,

I would like to connect my Imac with a MH ULN-2. In order to do this I use a firewire cable 6pin to 6pin. When I switch the Imac off the ULN-2 still stay powered up in order to avoid that I am looking for a solution to block the power supply via firewire to the ULN-2. Moreover I want to use an external psu and I think this only possible when there is no bus power through firewire. Does anybody have an idea how this can be done.
Thanks.

Werner

Crimson

Re: Firewire 6pin to 6pin power blocking adapter
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:51 pm »
Hello,

If you're going to get an external PSU, you can purchase a 6-pin to 4-pin adapter that will remove bus power from the firewire connection, and then plug this in to a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter.

weggis

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Some people claim, that using different firewire cables can make a difference in sound,  Do you know if this is true, because if it is this solution could degrade sound quality. I was actually hoping, that some company manufactures 4pin firewire cables with 6pin plugs. But I suppose there is no demand for this kind of cables.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Some people claim, that using different firewire cables can make a difference in sound,  Do you know if this is true, because if it is this solution could degrade sound quality. I was actually hoping, that some company manufactures 4pin firewire cables with 6pin plugs. But I suppose there is no demand for this kind of cables.

I found this: http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfe-66-np06.html which is a better solution.

weggis

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:20 pm »
Wow, I really searched the Internet I didn't find anything useful, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks again.