Nikon D40 Manual mode (Also need a CD and users manual)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Hey folks,
I've been loaned a couple "old school" manual lenses to try on my D40 but can't figure out how to get the camera to accept the fact the lenses are installed. The message on the screen says "no lens attached".
Now this camera I have turned out to be a gray market unit so assistance from Nikon is zilch. The users manual is a very poorly made (unreadable) photo copy and the CD software that came with it is in Japanese.
Basically I've learned what I've learned by surfing through the menus and playing with it. I have found a place where I can select "AUTO" or "MANUAL" in the menus and it accepts my choice as verified on on the main screen, where the "M" is highlighted but the body still doesn't accept a lens being installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Extra bonus points to anybody that has a CD (in English) and/or a users manual that I can purchase.

Thanks fellas,
Bob

ooheadsoo

Re: Nikon D40 Manual mode (Also need a CD and users manual)
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2008, 02:26 am »
You don't need to do anything in the menus.

Just twist that knob on top to M and you're ready to go. 

Spin the thumb dial to change the shutter speed, spin the aperture ring on the lens to change the aperture, that's it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2008, 10:59 am »
Just twist that knob on top to M and you're ready to go. 
:| No kidding. After all this time I've been jacking around in the menus.  :duh:
I almost don't like you any more.
Ok, I'm joking.  :wink: Thank you very much!

I am still looking for a manual if anybody has one.

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2008, 11:24 am »
Bob, you never got a manual, after all that?! There is one here, altho not printable:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D40_noprint.pdf

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2008, 11:52 am »
Nope, never got one John. I know you and Abe remember the beginning of the story. Here's the end of it.
To make a VERY long story short:
After eight months I ended up not paying a single penny for the D40 kit. The two lenses, body, case, any of it.
The Ebay seller wouldn't admit the unit was gray market, despite a Japanese serial number on the body. Visa gave them chance after chance to make good on an even trade for a U.S. market body and lenses but after being caught in a few lies, Visa sent me a letter basically saying, "We're finished. All of your money is back in your account and the item is yours. We're done."
So, I got a free D40 and all the goodies to go with it but if it breaks it's instantly a paperweight as Nikon says, "No authorized Nikon repair facility will ever fix this unit, even if you pay them. In warranty or out of warranty. Period."
I'll never get firmware updates, the ability to register the serial numbers, or any assistance from Nikon at all. Ever.
I'm not bitter, Hell, I got a free camera after all. But if it ever dies, I throw it in the trash and buy another D40.
That's why I'm looking for software and manuals (in English)

THANK YOU for the link to the manual John. That's a HUGE manual. WOW!  :o You should see the handmade, stapled, photocopied 4"X3" ten page 'booklet' I received as my "users manual". That 8.3 meg file you linked to is massive in comparison.

Bob  :thumb:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2008, 05:34 pm »
Bob, that's very cool that the seller didn't come around trying to collect the camera.

Remember, I bought my camera used without a manual, so I've never read it, either!  :duh:
Tell me if there's anything cool in there  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2008, 05:56 pm »
Remember, I bought my camera used without a manual, so I've never read it, either!  :duh:
Tell me if there's anything cool in there  :lol:
John gave us a link to the D40's manual here: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D40_noprint.pdf
We'll look at it together to see if there's anything cool in there.  :wink:

It took me a good solid two months before I stopped expecting a letter from a lawyer in the mailbox from the seller.  :lol:
I've had to bite my tounge on the forums to keep from blasting those........"people".
But yea, to answer your question, It IS pretty cool they dropped it and it's finally over.

Bob

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2008, 10:08 pm »
Me read the manual?  :o
 :nono: Not going to happen  :wink:

Tell you what, though, I did read this thing: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

This guy spouts a lot of dumb crap some times, but the guide is ok for getting someone started.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2008, 10:24 pm »
Ken is a little different, at least as far as reviews are concerned, but entertaining to read and educational to a newb like me. hehe

Thanks for the link man!

I'll let you know if any epiphanies smack me in the head when I read the manual.  aa

Bob

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:16 am »
What's an owner's manual?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:24 am »
 :lol:  It's one of those things non-geeks use.  :P :wink:

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2008, 08:21 am »
One useful thing that I remember from the manual is the bit about sensor cleaning. (I never worried about it until I got a dreaded spot, of course...!)