Tekton Design Full-Range Open Baffle

Scottmoose

Re: Tekton Design Full-Range Open Baffle
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2008, 09:11 am »
I'm not surprised they image well -I was talking about this with a mate a couple of weeks back & we share a suspicion they're working more like an enhanced point source than a dipole.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2008, 05:35 pm »
I have a diy set playing as we speak. I've not had a chance to do a serious listen, Chris had an hour or so with them yesterday and rather likes them.

They do work, they have bass (well as much bass as one would expect from a sealed FE127).

The real test will come when i get back the mFonken for direct comparison (i've been forcing myself to live with the Silver Iris so the little Fostex are a relief). The question is, is there benefit enuff to justify doubling the driver cost.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2008, 05:37 pm »
I'm not surprised they image well -I was talking about this with a mate a couple of weeks back & we share a suspicion they're working more like an enhanced point source than a dipole.

Agreed. The whole function of the rear driver is to cancel the output from the back of the front driver.

dave

chrisby

« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2008, 03:58 pm »
I have a diy set playing as we speak. I've not had a chance to do a serious listen, Chris had an hour or so with them yesterday and rather likes them.

They do work, they have bass (well as much bass as one would expect from a sealed FE127).

The real test will come when i get back the mFonken for direct comparison (i've been forcing myself to live with the Silver Iris so the little Fostex are a relief). The question is, is there benefit enuff to justify doubling the driver cost.

dave

Considering that we were listening to 2 pairs of EnABLed FE127E, yes the cost of drivers is a tad high, and the bass response and SPL limits were certainly being tested to their max in the large room.  I suspect that Eric's initial enclosure design was more for proof of operating concept than an attempt to optimize performance of this specific driver - which has been our sandbox for the past several years.

In other words, further experimentation is definitely warranted, both with these and less costly drivers. 

afungi

« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2008, 04:54 pm »

Which ones did you get. I want to try some single driver speakers. Do you think they make good near field speakers?
Mike

Yes, they are great near field speakers. I got the FE127E based model and I use them with a subwoofer. They are quite compact in size, hence the need for a sub (there's an aperture-based sub that he's doing as well, but I haven't tried it yet). When I chatted with Eric of Tekton Design, he mentioned that he's working on larger sized models. I know he's working on larger 6" and 8" full-range based models. I suggest you contact him about these.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2008, 05:28 pm »
how about $12k for some f/r 4.5"-driver tekton speakers in an aluminum cabinet...   :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250305877435

doug s.

Scottmoose

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2008, 06:20 pm »
I really hope that listing is a joke. With the greatest respect to them, methinks you'd have to be a bit of a pillock to pay $12,000 for a pair of simple BR speakers with FE127Es. Even if it's built in a translam fashion from machined billets of aluminium.

chrisby

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2008, 08:26 pm »
I really hope that listing is a joke. With the greatest respect to them, methinks you'd have to be a bit of a pillock to pay $12,000 for a pair of simple BR speakers with FE127Es. Even if it's built in a translam fashion from machined billets of aluminium.

Actually, I think Eric takes himself quite seriously. It would be interesting to see independent measurements of this system showing 40Hz extension from a single FE127E - plus or minus a shaker of kosher salt - (i.e. larger grains)   

There's definitely something interesting going on with the little OB design - the DIY pair that Dave mentioned above were based on information provided to us after accepting the offer of "one-time" DIY license, and signing a NDA.  As a result of the latter, all that I can say is that there's nothing exotic going on in terms of box design or damping, etc- release of measurement data that we've taken will need to be authorized by Eric. 

jackman

« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2008, 09:45 pm »
how about $12k for some f/r 4.5"-driver tekton speakers in an aluminum cabinet...   :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250305877435

doug s.

Hmmm, interesting deal.  Let's see, two speakers from clock radio, I'm guessing they cost about $4.50 (times two of course), no crossovers, and some really expensive aluminum cabinets.  Brilliant!   :duh:

$12K is a bit rich for my blood, maybe I can find a pair used for under $10K.. :?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2008, 10:04 pm »

Hmmm, interesting deal.  Let's see, two speakers from clock radio, I'm guessing they cost about $4.50 (times two of course), no crossovers, and some really expensive aluminum cabinets.  Brilliant!   :duh:

Actually the drivers are $45 each, so the cabinets are only $11,900.
The good news is you do get 2 for that price. :lol: 

Lin  :)

floobydust

« Reply #30 on: 20 Oct 2008, 11:24 pm »
 Hmmm... must be a joke... then again, it's pretty amazing what sells on ebay these days... something about a fool being born every minute perhaps.

Regards, KM

Scottmoose

« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:22 pm »
I fear so.

In fairness, if these things are indeed built from a stack of machined aluminium billits, they're not exactly going to be cheap to make, and the little 126/7 can hold its own in some pretty rarified company. But (and it's a big 'un): if you wanted a speaker using 4 1/2in Fostex units, then for the same price you could buy, for sake of example, no less than 14 pairs of Ed's Horns, or 4 pairs of his M3 horns, which use the same driver (or its sister unit) with some money left over. Bit of a no-brainer really.

exerciseguy

« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2008, 11:46 pm »
Which clock radio uses a Fostex FE127E?

capace

I got to hear Eric's prototype 127e open baffle speaker.
« Reply #33 on: 24 Oct 2008, 03:31 am »
Ok, I'm new to this site. I live here in Utah, and got to hear Eric's prototype 127e open baffle speaker. I drove about 2 hours to get to his shop.

I consider myself a audiophile convert. Over that past 2 years I've become interested in speaker building. I do have some experience listening to different speakers. I've heard wilsons,  martin logans, zu audio(druids and tones), speakers, edge audio(now aperion) and several others. And of course I have built a few myself.

I've become fond of full range drivers. And mainly Fostex.

So when I got the chance to hear Eric(Tekton Designs) open baffle speaker based on the fostex 127e I was very excited.

Here is a link to some of my speaker projects.

http://www.clarkopace.com/projects/myprojects.htm

Anyways. Seeing that I was already familiar with the Fostex 127e it was the perfect chance to compare a regular vented 127e setup with this open baffle design.

Here is the only way I can describe it. It made me smile. There are a few times I can really remember smiling when hearing a speaker system. The first time was when I was introduced to a Hi Fi at speaker at Kimber Kable. Back then I had some $69 off the shelf pioneer speakers. Next was listening to the Zu's speakers(pretty expensive), and Eric's open baffle design.

This open baffle design just had some magic. I closed my eyes and it was as if the speakers disapeared. If felt very real. I smile right now as I think back.  Now the 127e don't have a lot of bass, but what it did have was very pleasing, much more so then my 127e in a standard vented box setup. The open baffle seems to work very well. Very different from any other speaker I have heard. For the good!

Eric asked me to put my ears right next to the side of one of the speaker. Very little bass radiated from the side.

These little speakers wowed me. And eric tells me that the technology can be implemented with just about any driver. I can't wait to hear this open baffle technology (monopole) working with more expensive drivers.

He is not selling the open baffle 127e yet, but I bet if he gets enough interest he will. Lets hope anyways as it really is Hi Fi on a budget!

Thanks Eric, it was really fun!
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2008, 01:57 am by capace »

capace

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:53 am »
Also to be pointed out! There are many companies who sell very expensive speakers, much more then 12k.

Oh yea, and I think it is also a statement. And I bet it costs loads to have someone not only cnc the unit, but work on the G-code that goes into it.

And one more thought! Some paintings cost millions, and in reality they are only canvas and color!!!

But I think it's more of a stament. :)

dweekie

« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:11 am »
http://www.tektondesign.com/openbaffle.htm

Now he's offering it on a sub. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2008, 12:40 am »
Interesting, I have been using that sub amp for 4 years, love it.

Not sure how that particular alignment works (no hidden agenda, or comment, I just am not familiar), but would love to hear one if anyone around Toronto buys, or DIY's one.