Instant read thermometers

jk@home

Instant read thermometers
« on: 28 Sep 2008, 08:12 pm »
Did a quick search here and found no reference.

Just wanted to contribute to the forum, when one is cooking outside, especially when the cooking temp is not totally controlable, I have found the use of a instant read thermometer a real help in getting things done right. Made even a grilling dummy like me an "expert".

Hanging out at the BGE egghead forum, I picked up this one, which although is  a little expensive, is highly recommended:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html?gclid=CPKzw_Cj_5UCFQIWFQod8lGGEg

some young guy

Re: Instant read thermometers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2008, 08:39 pm »
I recommend a remote probe type. It's better if you can leave it in through the cooking process. This will allow less loss of juicy goodness.  :thumb: You can also set the alarm to sound when you've reached the temp you desire. This will allow less loss of time spent drinking beer undistracted by compulsive thermometer checking.  :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2008, 09:52 pm »
Did a quick search here and found no reference.

Just wanted to contribute to the forum, when one is cooking outside, especially when the cooking temp is not totally controlable, I have found the use of a instant read thermometer a real help in getting things done right. Made even a grilling dummy like me an "expert".

Hanging out at the BGE egghead forum, I picked up this one, which although is  a little expensive, is highly recommended:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html?gclid=CPKzw_Cj_5UCFQIWFQod8lGGEg

This is the same thermometer seen on "Good Eats" on a regular basis. 

jk@home

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2008, 10:37 pm »
Here's the remote stat/timer I picked up,  actually it's less than the Thermapen:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediChek-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

The Thermapen's best when one has multiple items on the grille, such as burgers or steaks.  Guess that's why I like my egg. I set the temp up with the top/bottom vents, throw on the food and time it out, with the lid down, like cooking in an oven. Usually only takes one or two checks at the end to confirm the doneness.

Great thing about the RediChek, the one piece comes with a belt hanger, you could hang it on, go do some "honey-dos" , while you're smoking your ribs or briskets.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:56 pm »
I think you need both types of thermometers.  They serve different purposes.  However, the thermapen is absolutely fantastic and is hard to beat for the purposes it serves.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:37 pm »
Probably a bit late but I hadn't seen this thread til now. :oops:  The also think the Thermapen is the finest instant read thermometer available.  It's faster & more accurate than anything else I've used.  If you need a probe-with-lead type they also make one, btw.