Recommend A Driver

Browntrout

Recommend A Driver
« on: 22 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
Hello, I'm new to speaker building and was wondering if it is possible to get a good sound from an open-baffle full range speaker? I ask this question because to my inexperienced eyes and ears (and hands) this seems to be the easiest speaker to build and the most free from colouration.
  Also it would be my first project and was thinking I could utilise the same driver later on in a more complicated design be it multiple driver or horn enclosure etc....
  So if this was to be the plan...... single driver full range open-baffle speakers driven by 13Watt SET amp what would be a good driver to use? (P.S I also asked a similar question in the open-baffle 'circle' but thought you guys might also be able to help)

toocool4

Re: Recommend A Driver
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2008, 08:44 pm »

A friend’s speaker uses the Jordan drivers, which appears to be quite capable.

Try this link http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/

Chris

raov1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:52 pm »
What is your budget?  There are quite a few drivers that can be recommended.
 :D

ghpicard

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:42 pm »
Your idea of the intended size will help too...

Browntrout

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2008, 06:09 pm »
Hello again, thanks for the replies and questions. The Jordan drivers are quite insensitive does this mean I would have to use several drivers per channel in series to get the efficiency up higher so my amp can drive them? I read a review of a MJ Acoustics speaker that used these drivers and it was well recieved.
   As to budget I honestly don't know. I would like the speakers to be capable of greater transparancy than my Cabasses' so whatever is required to obtain an improvement in that area really.
   The size I can accomadate in my listening room for the baffle is about 40" wide by 90" high, this is just the maximum size that could comfortably fit into the space were my speakers are at the moment.
   Thanks.

Angaria

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2008, 07:01 pm »
What kind of bass requirements do you have?  the jordans 88db sensitivity on 13 watts... it will be fine for some genre's.  If you want the "ultimate" in DIY woofer-based transparency, look at some of the high-end supravox woofers... various 215's should be fine.

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2008, 07:49 pm »
Hi Browntrout like Angaria said 88db is quite sensitive for most people, but if you are looking for ear splitting levels / bass that pins you to the wall then they are not the drives for you.

You don’t need to run several drivers in series to get them to perform, they work very well running as a single driver per speaker.

Chris

ghpicard

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2008, 08:04 pm »
A direct radiation driver (not front-horn-loaded) with an 88 dB@ 1m sensitivity gives approximately 102dB @ 1m SPL with 16 Watts input (amp clipping and no overhead left). With conventional stereo setup you can change that to about the same @2m, or 99dB@4m. All of this at the frequency band for which direct radiation happens without "support" of an enclosure.
IMO, the Jordans are more suitable when there is more power available, and with an appropriate enclosure (i.e. a TL or an BLH) as it includes specific design features to allow reaching low frequencies, that would be wasted in an OB.

I have Fostex FE108ESigma in BLHs, and with their 90+ dB SPL and 15W drive, they can sound quite loud. Bass, of course is not chest thumping. And their mids are breathtaking... So (again IMO) if you don't have more power available, and you favor orchestral ensembles (or metal or pop) then I'd aim for more sensitive drivers. But everything comes with a string attached (tradeoffs).

Gaston

Browntrout

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2008, 09:37 pm »
Thanks again for the suggestions.
   I've sent Supravox an email regarding their 215-EXC 'ecitation' model. This appears to enable the characteristics of the driver to be changed by altering the voltage supplied to a field coil making it possible to tune it to enclosures/listening preferences.......Sounds like a good idea!
   If they are not prohibitively expensive I might give them a wirl. Cheers. :)

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2008, 11:14 pm »
EXC are not cheap.  I remember that they quoted around $1350 for EACH driver, without the PS.  That was before the dollar plunged to nothing, about 3 years ago.  So, I guess they might be quite a bit more today.  I heard it on a wooden horn set up and I remember that it might needed the help of a tweeter. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2008, 04:10 pm »
Jordan bass extension and efficiency factory specifications are generally recognized as being "generous".  Using multiple drivers will increase ultimate output, may change impedance (depending on how many are used and how they're wired), but will take away the imaging/coherency advantages of a single driver.

Look into Fostex F200A drivers at Madisound for a "poor man's" Supervox (still costs about $400 each).  More efficient and capable of deeper bass than the Jordan, but will "beam" as it lacks a whizzer cone.  The F200A works well in open baffle, has large AlNiCo magnets and is welll made. 

A remarkable set of open baffle drivers are available from Hawthorne Audio.  They offer 10 inch and 15 inch coaxial drivers in cheaper forms ($150 each) or high sould quality versions ($750 each).  Subwoofer not needed for any unamplified music for the 15 inch version (10 inch version has slightly nicer midrange but you might want the sub), professional build quality, high efficiency, and can play very loud.

Look for drivers with 0.3 or higher Qts for open baffle use.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2008, 02:02 pm »
Visaton B200's? :)