VSA Customer Service Manager - Joe

VSA_JOE

VSA Customer Service Manager - Joe
« on: 19 Sep 2008, 10:36 pm »
Hello All,

I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is Joe and I'm the Customer Service Manager for Von Schweikert Audio and I want you all to know that I'm available if you have questions regarding our products.  While Mr. Von Schweikert intends to be an active member of this community, his focus for the next few months will be on a design project he's working on.  Therefore, I want you to know that you can also come to me with any questions and even if I don't have the answer immediately, I will get it for you.  I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Joe

mfsoa

Re: VSA Customer Service Manager - Joe
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm »
OK, I'll give it a shot-

I had a family party the other day with a 1 and a half year old. My grills were off. I was dumb.  Yeah, you know where this is going.

Can you give me pricing/availability info on a pair of tweeters for VR4JRs, Mk I please. If you don't want to talk price in public please PM me.

I only really need one but should I replace both?

Thanks very much.

-Mike

keith

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2008, 04:56 am »
Hi Joe,

Great to see you in the forum!   8)

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2008, 09:17 pm »
The vinyl-impregnated dome tweeter used in the VR-4 JR speaker system can be easily pushed inwards, but unless the voice coil was damaged (unlikely), you can "suck" the dome back out with a vacuum cleaner hose.  Although there might be some creasing visible on the dome for a few days, the creases might disappear on their own if they were not too deep. 

In the event that the creases are deep and do not go away, there is another technique "of the last resort."  To reform the dome into the correct shape and eliminate the creases, you can use a hair dryer to soften and "reform" the vinyl layer.  Don't overdo the hearting; please watch the dome carefully until it "melts" back into shape and then stop. When I designed the dome, one of my goals was to employ a dome that could not be permanently damaged by a finger poke, as I've got kids myself! 
AVS

Delacroix

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2008, 09:32 pm »
The vinyl-impregnated dome tweeter used in the VR-4 JR speaker system can be easily pushed inwards, but unless the voice coil was damaged (unlikely), you can "suck" the dome back out with a vacuum cleaner hose.  Although there might be some creasing visible on the dome for a few days, the creases might disappear on their own if they were not too deep. 

I love this -- now that is what I call a real world design consideration!! If you try this Mike, you simply have to  post pics  :D
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2008, 02:51 am by Delacroix »

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:11 am »
I had a similar problem with a tweeter in a Von Schweikert TS150 surround speaker. The tweeter was deformed by one of my daughter's friends.  This tweeter appears to be similar in design to the one in my VR4 JR.  I removed the tweeter from the speaker enclosure and the metal face plate from the tweeter assembly.  The vacuum cleaner technique did not work for me, because I had trouble getting a good enough seal.  Another forum suggested applying gentle suction by mouth to repair a dome tweeter and this was successful in resuscuitating the tweeter in my case.  As AVS suggested, there were minor creases in my repaired tweeter that have faded with time.     

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:25 am »
Another forum suggested applying gentle suction by mouth to repair a dome tweeter and this was successful in resuscuitating the tweeter in my case.     

You gave your speaker the kiss of life?  Now, there's a dedicated audiophile!

Chad

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:41 am »
Another forum suggested applying gentle suction by mouth to repair a dome tweeter and this was successful in resuscuitating the tweeter in my case.     

Chad
I think they wrote a tune about that....
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Suck My Kiss".... :wink:

Good to hear it worked.... 8)

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2008, 09:59 pm »
Albert,
Thanks very much for the vacuum advice. It worked well leaving only the smallest wrinkle. I'll see over the next few days.

I couldn't help but notice that when I sucked on the tweeter, it pulled out a mm or two which is probably a huge amount in tweeter-land. Probably 100s or 1000s of times the normal displacement during regular use.

Now kids  Do Not Try This At Home:

I just had to vacuum the other tweeter too so that each would have the same "stretch" applied.

Now my audio hallucinations are making me think that the highs are both more extended and more relaxed than before the stretch.

Any possibility that this could be true? Have I invented a new tweeter conditioning process?  :nono:

How's that for a manufacturer - I tell him I want to send him money and he tells me to suck on it  :thumb:

VSA_JOE

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2008, 04:15 pm »
Hello Keith, I hope all is well with you guys!

I hope everyone had  a great weekend.

I'm glad to see Albert was able to help you out with your problem mfsoa. How are the tweeters working out for you?

mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:06 pm »
VSA_Joe: So far so good - Thanks again

soundbitten1

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:56 pm »
OK, I'll give it a shot-

I had a family party the other day with a 1 and a half year old. My grills were off. I was dumb.  Yeah, you know where this is going.

Can you give me pricing/availability info on a pair of tweeters for VR4JRs, Mk I please. If you don't want to talk price in public please PM me.

I only really need one but should I replace both?

Thanks very much.

-Mike

Did it affect the sound ? I bought a pair of old speakers and the tweeters were pushed in . They sound alright but  I wonder if they should be better .

varsharun

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2008, 06:58 pm »
Are those the Dunlavy Aletha's in your profile pic? Amazing speakers...unfortunate that John Dunlavy could not keep the business
going. They were the best speakers I had ever heard before of course the VSA VR5 and Unifields.

-Arun

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2008, 01:50 pm »

Chad

No, a really dedicated a-phile would get the tongue involved  :drool: