Poll

What's your opinion on Bryston C-series cosmetics compared to the older style?

Real improvement!
11 (64.7%)
Prefer the older style cosmetics
4 (23.5%)
I'm indifferent
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Bryston C-series cosmetics: opinions?

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
Bryston C-series cosmetics: opinions?
« on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:43 pm »
I much prefer the older "BP-25" style cosmetics to the new C-series. So much so that I sent my brand new BP-25MC to Mike Pickett at Bryston, who very kindly replaced the C-series knobs and faceplates with the older style 19" rackmount faceplates and BP-25-style knobs.

When the funds permit, I plan to do the same thing with my second BP-26. I guess I like the minimalist/studio-style appearance of the older series.

I can readily understand why this wouldn't be practical, but I think it'd be great if Bryston offered buyers a choice between the two styles...

So...I'm wondering about others' take on this.

Regards,

Joel.   

john1970

Re: Bryston C-series cosmetics: opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:05 pm »
Joel,

I tend to prefer the C-seies cosmetics.  I have a BP-25 preamp with a 17" black faceplate and knobs and am looking at switching to silver or ideally the silver C-series to match my Bryston 4B SST preamp.

Best,

John

dubkarma

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:52 pm »
John,

Too bad the BP-25 doesn't have a full-sized power supply. If it did, I'd be quick to offer my 17-inch silver BP-26/MPS-2 faceplates and knobs in exchange for your 17-inch black faceplates and knobs. (P.S.: I suppose you meant you want to match the preamp cosmetics to your 4B-SST power amp.)

Regards,

Joel.

john1970

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2008, 09:09 pm »
Joel,

I thought it was worth a shot.  It never hurts to ask!

Cheers,

John

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:22 am »
I also prefer the look of the BP25 over the 26.
Just changed the 19" faceplate  to the 17" on my BP25P so if anyone needs to rack mount their BP25P make me an offer by email.
It's Black.

While were discussing the pre amp I would love to have some form of illuminated reference on the volume control

Robert

ian.ameline

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2008, 06:26 pm »
Yes, I prefer the old styling as well. I'd like to get a BDA-1 in black 19" rackmount, old style.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2008, 06:29 pm »
Yes, I prefer the old styling as well. I'd like to get a BDA-1 in black 19" rackmount, old style.

Gee I find this surprising - our sales per month on the preamp tripled when we went to the new styling.

james

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2008, 06:50 pm »
Hi James,

Not to worry, I'm sure those of us who liked to older pro style are greatly out numbered.

Robert

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2008, 07:30 pm »
I like the Silver C-series. My BP6 is a C-series. My 4BSST is the pro version. So, that's the older styling in black. Both look great to me.

dubkarma

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2008, 07:45 pm »
James,

I'm one of those outnumbered few who prefer the older pro style.

In fact, I sent my brand new BP-26MC/MPS-2 back from whence it came (Peterborough) to have the BP-25 style 19" rackmount faceplates installed on both pieces.

Which leads to the question: would it be possible to order the MPS-2 with the BP-25 style faceplate? Eventually, I'm going to order the MPS-2 and have my BP-25 upgraded, but I'd rather retain the original cosmetics.

I just like that "1RU" minimalist look, even when using 17" faceplates and not rackmounting. But then my introduction to high fidelity, back in the 70s, was via pro audio components. Indeed, I may soon sell my Benchmark DAC1 in favour of a BDA-1, and I'd definitely want that in a 19" rackmount, "old style," because I'd want to rackmount it.

No accounting for taste....?

In any case, many and continuing thanks for brilliant products backed by the best warranty and the best customer service in either pro or consumer audio.

Regards,

Joel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2008, 08:05 pm »
James,

I'm one of those outnumbered few who prefer the older pro style.

In fact, I sent my brand new BP-26MC/MPS-2 back from whence it came (Peterborough) to have the BP-25 style 19" rackmount faceplates installed on both pieces.

Which leads to the question: would it be possible to order the MPS-2 with the BP-25 style faceplate? Eventually, I'm going to order the MPS-2 and have my BP-25 upgraded, but I'd rather retain the original cosmetics.

I just like that "1RU" minimalist look, even when using 17" faceplates and not rackmounting. But then my introduction to high fidelity, back in the 70s, was via pro audio components. Indeed, I may soon sell my Benchmark DAC1 in favour of a BDA-1, and I'd definitely want that in a 19" rackmount, "old style," because I'd want to rackmount it.

No accounting for taste....?

In any case, many and continuing thanks for brilliant products backed by the best warranty and the best customer service in either pro or consumer audio.

Regards,

Joel.

Hi Joel,

Not sure on that - check with Mike Pickett at Bryston.

james

dubkarma

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2008, 09:39 pm »
James,

Hi Joel,

Not sure on that - check with Mike Pickett at Bryston.

james

Will do. Mike is the very fellow who arranged to redo the faceplates and knobs on my BP-26.

Many thanks,

Joel.

ian.ameline

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2008, 04:45 pm »

Gee I find this surprising - our sales per month on the preamp tripled when we went to the new styling.

james

I'm glad to hear your sales are doing well -- I like the fact that a company that is run like yours is being successful.

(but I still like the plain black old-school rack-mount gear :-) )

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:03 pm »

james

I'm glad to hear your sales are doing well -- I like the fact that a company that is run like yours is being successful.

(but I still like the plain black old-school rack-mount gear :-) )

Hi All,

If you like the older style you can order the RACKMOUNT version of the amplifiers.

4B SST - http://bryston.ca/4bsstpro_m.html
14B SST - http://bryston.ca/14bsstpro_m.html

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:32 pm »
Yep, that's what I have.  8)

will1066

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2008, 06:50 pm »
Newbie here, I prefer the C-series cosmetics. I have a black 4B SST, 17" no handles, but have been toying with the idea of changing it to silver. How much would it cost, and what's the turnaround time? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2008, 06:52 pm »
Newbie here, I prefer the C-series cosmetics. I have a black 4B SST but have been toying with the idea of changing it to silver. How much would it cost, and what's the turnaround time? Thanks.

Hi Will,

Contact  Mike Pickett at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.ca

james

will1066

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2008, 06:54 pm »
Thanks, James.