BCD-1

Daniel Datchev

Re: BCD-1
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:11 pm »
Hi James,
In brief it is said that player does not output signal recorded at level 50db bellow normal CD level.
I personally read UHFMag article where is given example with singal recorded at -60db.
Daniel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2008, 06:56 pm »
Hi James,
In brief it is said that player does not output signal recorded at level 50db bellow normal CD level.
I personally read UHFMag article where is given example with singal recorded at -60db.
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes and at -60dB UHF Magazines comment was:   "The low-level wave, recorded 60 dB below the CD’s full level, is shown at left. It is very good, with little contamination by noise. It doesn’t always look this pretty."

Somehow there is a misunderstanding of what they are measuring or how they are measuring it.

How did they like the sound of the CD Player?

james
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2008, 10:16 am by James Tanner »

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #22 on: 2 Oct 2008, 06:12 am »
Hi James,
I understand that prior to say something you have to be confident that what you said is correct in technical terms.
Daniel

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #23 on: 2 Oct 2008, 11:26 am »
Hi James,
I`ll try to paraphrase briefly the article.
First thing they came to is the tray which is noisier than some high end.
Second is that player responds very quickly in changing tracks even if it is the last on CD.
The player sounds live, airy with a good bass which is very rare.The vocals are spacesous and the music is with very good rhythm. At this background it is very strange the behavior of the player with low level recorded signals.At -50db the BCD-1 just blocks the output.This is a way to deal with noise and harmonic distortions. But any way our aim is to listen to music not make extrem tests.
"DVDexpert.ru"

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 2 Oct 2008, 12:42 pm »
Beethoven symphonies have this kind of dynamic range. Full orchestra fff, then woodwinds ppp. Add 6dB headroom to the CD and you are challenging the noise levels of the system. Low noise player like BCD1 would be good for that. 

ssmith

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2008, 01:15 am »
Has Anyone tried the Bcd-1 and the Bda-1 together and what were the result differences.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2008, 06:12 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Distributor Feedback
SUBJECT – Bryston 28B SST Amplifier & BDA-1 DAC

Hi James,

Last week we received first pair of 28B-SST Mono Amplifiers and on the weekend we had first Hi-Fi show in Slovenia. We had a big room and excellent sound. The 28B’s are amazing. We played them on PMC EB-1 and the sound was exceptional.

I will send you some pictures from the show tomorrow.

Regarding BDA-1:

I can tell you that we had great listening tests especially on the USB input.

I ripped one nice song from one great CD on a WAVE format I placed it on Memory stick which was plugged into a Laptop connected on BDA-1 over USB. At the same time I played original CD connected on BDA-1 over AES/EBU input. The difference was so small that no one could tell the difference. We will definitely gain a lot of audiophile customer’s with the BDA-1 External DAC because you can use so many more source components … Hard disc, SAT Receiver, Cable TV, small handheld player etc.

Thank you,
Best regards
Edvard

MOZ

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2008, 09:30 am »
Hi James,

I'm playing with a Lexicon MC12 V5EQ at the moment.
It's wonderful with Blu-ray, but i'd like to know... what 2ch pre can i get with it (a Bryston one, of course) ?
I will need a bypass mode on the Bryston in order to put it in a "transparent way" in between the front out of my MC12 and my Bryston amp...
I will use the BCD-1 and feed the Bryston pre and avoid the MC12... that is not as good as your products concerning 2ch music  :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2008, 10:52 am »
Hi James,

I'm playing with a Lexicon MC12 V5EQ at the moment.
It's wonderful with Blu-ray, but i'd like to know... what 2ch pre can i get with it (a Bryston one, of course) ?
I will need a bypass mode on the Bryston in order to put it in a "transparent way" in between the front out of my MC12 and my Bryston amp...
I will use the BCD-1 and feed the Bryston pre and avoid the MC12... that is not as good as your products concerning 2ch music  :roll:

HI Moz,

The only preamp wehave with Pass-Through is the BP-16
http://www.bryston.ca/bp16_m.html

james

MOZ

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm »
Thanks a lot James...