BCD-1

drummermitchell

BCD-1
« on: 12 Sep 2008, 02:04 am »
Hi guys,I've had my BCD-1 runnin naked (without DD-15)for a week or so.I can't believe how right the bottom
end is without the sub.I'm running her analog out to my Arcam AV-8(Stereo Direct).Kick drum is like throwing
a 3 1/2" thick steak against the wall.lots of slap and air.My main speakers are Revel 50as and I have them crossed over at 60hz.And of course 7B-ssts.It was quite difficult putting my sub out of the music picture.
As soon as BCD-1 was in,everything has improved.Nothing quite like a musical experience when everything
sounds SOOOOO GOOD.My sub will just be for movies as without it on music is so much better.
Anyway just thought I'd relay my subless impressions :thumb:.

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
Re: BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
Just took delivery on my BCD-1 yesterday, so it's a bit premature to post comments. I did have 15 minutes of panic because the first dozen times I tried to open the disc tray to play a CD, the tray would only come out about half an inch. But then I tried one more time and since then it's opened and closed normally.

I do have a question, though, not specific to the BCD-1. I tend to fall asleep listening to music (the BCD-1 is in my bedroom system). Am I shortening the life of the laser because the CD sits in the disc tray with the player powered up until I get up in the morning and remove it? It seems to me that would be the case, but I'm sufficiently technically ignorant that I'd like the opinion of someone (Mr. Tanner?) who knows what they're talking about.

TIA,

Joel.

BCD-1, Onkyo T-9090-II tuner, BP-26 preamp, Tannoy AMS-12A speakers, Torus RM20 (on order).

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:55 pm »
Which amplifier are you using?

dubkarma

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2008, 01:01 am »
Vegasdave,

The Tannoy AMS-12A are active monitors. Each 70-litre cabinet houses a 12" dual concentric driver, two 180 Wrms power amps and an electronic crossover.

It's hard to find info on this Tannoy model, as it was only produced for a few years around the year 2000. But here's a summary description from Mix magazine:

The AMS12A features a 12-inch Dual Concentric™ woofer with a 1.25-inch compression driver. Weight of the bi-amped system is 85 pounds, and dimensions are 17.75x25.5x16.25 inches. Frequency response: 25 to 25k Hz, ±2.5 dB; max SPL: 129 dB. LF and HF contour controls are provided. Input connector is a Neutrik XLR/TRS. Price: $7,495 per pair; a shielded version is available for $7,885 per pair.

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:54 pm »

I do have a question, though, not specific to the BCD-1. I tend to fall asleep listening to music (the BCD-1 is in my bedroom system). Am I shortening the life of the laser because the CD sits in the disc tray with the player powered up until I get up in the morning and remove it? It seems to me that would be the case, but I'm sufficiently technically ignorant that I'd like the opinion of someone (Mr. Tanner?) who knows what they're talking about.

TIA,

Joel.

BCD-1, Onkyo T-9090-II tuner, BP-26 preamp, Tannoy AMS-12A speakers, Torus RM20 (on order).

Hi Joel,

You can probably keep it on 24/7 365 days a year.

My previous player was left on since 1995 until recently with no ill affects.

But if your worried put your cd in the BCD-1, turn the unit off (standby), then push play. The BCD-1 should then go into standby on its own after the disc is finished playing.

Robert
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2008, 10:54 pm by rob80b »

dubkarma

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2008, 06:28 pm »
Robert,

Thanks for the tip!

Joel.

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2008, 11:23 pm »
Robert,

Thanks for the tip!

Joel.

Hi Joel,

You're welcome.

Why the bedroom, I hope you've tried the BCD-1 in your main system.
How does Sacred System Chapter Two stand up to Hallucination Engine and Sacred System Nagual Site.

Robert

dubkarma

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:00 am »
Robert,

The BCD-1 is in the bedroom system for now because all I had in there was an DVP-S7700 DVD player, which is not a bad transport, but not much of a player, with the usual el-cheapo opamp output stage. What's usually there is a VRDS-25X with rebuilt power supply, new digital output board and the LC Audio ZapFilter MK II--which is just a dumb name for a rather high quality analogue output board that replaces everything in the Teac after the DAC chips. But the VRDS-25X has started to skip, so it's in the shop: I hope the problem is as simple as a new laser.

The plan, insofar as I have one, is to compare the BCD-1 with the Teac P70/Universal Audio 2192 in the living room system. That combo is my current "reference," though I've never had the pleasure of auditioning a dCS or EMM Labs or suchlike.

In any case, the bedroom system is comparable in fidelity to the living room system: same BP-26 preamp and quality Tannoy speakers (AMS-12A vs. DMT 15 II).

As for Mr. Laswell, I like Sacred System Chapter Two rather more than Material Hallucination Engine--at least I play it a lot more. And thanks for mentioning Sacred System Nagual Site (Suite?)--don't know that one. Do you recommend it?

So far, my two favourite Laswell discs are "Sacred System: Book of Exit, Dub Chamber 4" and "Radioaxiom, A Dub Transmission: Bass: The Final Frontier." But I found a website once (which I forgot to bookmark) that listed over 100 albums that Bill Laswell has composed, played on or produced, so, although I have a number of other Laswell CDs, I can hardly say I know his music well.

What's spinning on your BCD-1 these days?

Cheers,

Joel.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2008, 05:14 am »
dubkarma....

But I found a website once (which I forgot to bookmark) that listed over 100 albums that Bill Laswell has composed, played on or produced, so, although I have a number of other Laswell CDs, I can hardly say I know his music well.

Try....this one... :thumb:

dubkarma

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2008, 03:37 pm »
Lonewolf,

Bull's-eye!--that's the website I couldn't find again!

Many thanks.

Joel.

AndrewA

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2008, 01:03 pm »
Go to the Audio Advisor website and check out what they're listing as their #1 best seller.

(HINT: it *used* to be the Cambridge Audio 840C)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2008, 03:29 pm »
Interesting email from a Bryston CD Player customer in the UK:

Sent: Wed 9/24/2008 4:30 AM
To: Bryston
Subject: HiFi News Review - Bryston CD Player

Dear Sir/Madam

I have just purchased a Bryston CD Player from Unilet in the UK. I have to say it is the best CD player I have heard and exceeds my expectations.

I bought the Bryston because I have a 0.6 preamplifier and 2 x 3BST amplifiers used as monoblocks, bought in the Philippines many years ago. They are still among the best solid state amplifiers I have heard. I also have a (second) valve/tube system. THe 3BST was bought after auditioning against a Baron tube amplifier. The 3BST was superior in sound quality

My CD player was bought in spite of the mediocre review in HiFi News by Andrew Harrison, because of my confidence in the brand. I am slightly disappointed that you didn't challenge the review by Andrew Harrison and attempt to find out what components the CD player was used with. I can only suppose that since HiFi News seem to be besotted by 'digital' - Class D amplifiers, they must have 'cloth' ears!

In passing, it may be worthwhile suggesting to HiFi News that they should incorporate manufacturer's comments in their reviews, as do Absolute Sound and Stereophile. I am concerned that a 'poor' review might put people off a purchase, if they do not have sufficient experience to make a proper judgement

Anyway, thank you for your excellent products.

Best wishes
Richard Heywood

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2008, 04:33 pm »
Hi All,

Just got a PDF of the latest 'Hi-Fi Choice Special Edition Magazine' in the UK and the Bryston CD Player and 28B SST's mono amplifiers got top honours.

I can send you the PDF but it is 4M.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2008, 04:47 pm »
Hi All,

Also just got a PDF (5M) from 'What Hi-Fi' Magazine in the UK as well.  Their 'Ultimate Guide to High End' edition has given a 'FIVE STAR' rating to the following Bryston gear:

Bryston BCD-1 CD Player
Bryston B100 SST Integrated
BP26/DA Preamplifier
2B SST Power Amplifier

klao

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2008, 05:07 pm »
Hi James,

Can you put those files up at Bryston website (left corner of the homepage) for us to download?  Otherwise, I don't mind receiving them via e-mail(s).  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2008, 05:23 pm »
Hi James,

Can you put those files up at Bryston website (left corner of the homepage) for us to download?  Otherwise, I don't mind receiving them via e-mail(s).  Thanks.

Hi Klao,

Yes they will get listed under "WHATS NEW" on the website - but it takes a while.

james

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2008, 08:22 am »
Hi all,
I`ve read in Russian web a review of BCD-1.
It is said that the player does not output recorded  -50db signals.
Is this correct?
Daniel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2008, 10:10 am »
Hi all,
Is this correct?
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I am not sure what that means?
Were they using a Test CD for the test signal?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2008, 11:35 am »
Hi all,
Is this correct?
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I am not sure what that means?
Were they using a Test CD for the test signal?

james

Hi Daniel,

I spoke to engineering and the -50dB makes no sense.  That would mean that at -50dB down in signal level the CD Player would mute - which it doesn't of course.

If you could translate the Russian to English for us maybe we can figure out what they mean?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2008, 02:43 pm »
Hi Daniel,

According to our measurements the Signal to noise on the CD Player is 116dB.

james