Update on the group FT-3 purchase and any other takers?

tubesforever

I have a member here who wants 12 caps.  The previous order is concluded and has been shipped.  I am trying to arrange a second smaller group purchase for more Russian Teflon FT-3 0.10uf 600V capacitors.  This same vendor also sells the K40Y9 capacitors if you should like some PIO capacitors. 

I need to arrange an order of at least 50 or more of the FT-3 caps in order to get the price listed below.

The cost for the Russian Teflon FT-3 caps will be 4.75 cents per cap plus 5.35 to 6.95 for shipping from my home to yours.  If you wanted to get in on the original deal but missed out, then here is a second chance to save some serious dollars.  The price is just a little higher than I posted on the last order because I suspect that the confirmation and insurance will run me just a slight bit more than I expected.

You can email me privately at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com if you want to jump in on this second chance purchase. 

I will definitely cut this off and order the caps next Tuesday morning on 09/16.  If you wish to participate on the group buy then please email me privately at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com so I can piece the puzzle together. 

If we can hit the magic number I am happy to arrange for the buy.  Shipping takes 4-5 weeks on average. 

I am not a retailer nor a distributor.  I am simply trying to arrange an inexpensive way to evaluate the best teflon cap I have ever heard at any price.

Cheers!

tubesforever

Re: Update on the group FT-3 purchase and any other takers?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2008, 09:00 pm »
We are definitely on for another group buy.....

100 caps and growing.  It is not too late to get in.

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2008, 09:09 pm »
Any other "values" available? I would like to try some 1 or 2mF to completely replace some coupling caps.

tubesforever

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2008, 02:40 am »
I am glad you brought this up.  0.22uf FT-3 caps would be just 6.95 each.  0.47uf FT-3 caps are 13.75 each.

Anyone out there who wants these larger values can share in the savings!  If I get enough volume on these bigger value caps I might even be able to save us some more!

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:13 am »
Isn't the idea to add a 0.1uF FT-3 in parallel with a regular audiophile 1uF cap?

jh

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:25 am »
Well, I figured that if the .1 is sooo good as a bypass, maybe using all FT-3 caps should be the cat's meow.  :dunno:

I may be interested in 2 each of the .22 and  .47mF(uF)..are these also the same voltage?

tubesforever

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2008, 07:07 am »
Jim, 

You are 100 percent correct that I recommend evaluating the FT-3 0.10 uf caps in the C 203 incoming signal cap position and the C 208 outgoing signal cap.  I am running these in parallel with the Mundorf silver in oil 1.0 uf caps with excellent results.  I like space, detail, and clarity.  I get these in spades with the teflons added to the circuit. 

While I also use four more bypassing the B+ caps I do this to beat up on top dollar equipment that my friends own.  I like beating up on Pass Xono's, Manley Steelheads and Lamm phono stages!  It is fun for me to do side by side comparisons and watch peoples faces. 

Everyone has fun listening to their phono or phono preamp.  Then I play the C2.  They start leaning forward.  Did they really hear that sonic clarity?  They have not heard instruments this clearly separated in space before.  Did the bass just slam them to their seat?  They wonder just how much more dynamic the sound was to their unit.  Are the singers really that much clearer?   They can hear separate vocalists vs a congealed mass of singers.  Then I have them put their unit back on line.  Everyone starts talking at once.  It is clearly evident the sound went down several notches.

This is fun for me!  Can you tell I'm twisted? 

Jim, there are guys with power amps looking at these teflon caps as coupling caps for their beloved vintage and diy power houses.

I have an FT-3 in parallel to the main coupling cap of my Bedini 150MK II solid state amp.  I also upgraded the five electrolytics to Black Gates.  The sound of this power amp is much better with the FT-3 caps. 

I plan to try the 0.10 uf teflons in parallel to the crossover caps for my ribbon tweeters and my 3" MB Quartz titanium mid dome tweeters.   I think BobM is doing this on his sytem and said the sound is exemplary.  I could easily use a .22 or .47 in this setting to evaluate the larger surface area and how it effects the high frequency response of my speakers.

Cheers!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:19 pm »
Jim,

Do you have the  size dimensions for the .22uf and the .47uf Teflons and the K40Y9 PIO?

Thanks,

Roy

tubesforever

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:53 pm »

Do you have the  size dimensions for the .22uf and the .47uf Teflons and the K40Y9 PIO?

The 0.22 uf FT-3 caps are 75 mm long and 31 mm wide.  In inches this is just under 3 inches long and  1.25 inches wide.

The 0.47 uf FT-3 caps are the same length and about 38 mm or 1.5 inches wide.

If any of you folks want to try these they are $6.75 and $13.75 dollars respectively.  I will be ordering these Monday night so I will need to hear from anyone wanting caps as soon as you can do so.

MJOSEPH asked if these were the same voltages (600V is what is listed on each cap).  Yes they are all labeled as 600V however the vendor has independently tested these caps and each of these FT-3 versions is good to 1000V.  The 600V is probably what the government specified as a minimum rating.

Shoot me an email at jim_howard_pdx@yahoo.com. 

Cheers!

dweekie

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:40 pm »
The 0.47uf caps are very large.  Here's are pics of a 0.1uf 600v next to a 0.47uf 200v cap. 

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:44 pm »
Waw...didn't realize the caps were THAT big...its almost HUGE.  :dunno:

ronpod

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:39 pm »
If surface area equates to better dynamics can you imagine what that big cap could do?

tubesforever

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:21 pm »
Well so much for trusting Russian ebay photos with mm scales...they probably use the same picture for all three size caps?!?!?!?!

:duh:

In any case I do plan to buy a few of all three sizes and maybe some of the FT-1 0.01 uf teflons which would be about 1.45 each. 

I think I am getting carried away by the teflon movement.  It has consumed two weekends!

dweekie

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2008, 09:35 pm »
Waw...didn't realize the caps were THAT big...its almost HUGE.  :dunno:

The picture I took only shows the 200v 0.47uf cap.  If the caps being offered are truly 600v as stated earlier, they will be quite a bit larger.   :duh:

tubesforever

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2008, 07:42 am »
Payment was made and received this week.  I received confirmation of the payment this morning.   

I am still awaiting notification of shipping.

More to follow!

Bill Epstein

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:50 am »
I received the .1uF FT-3s from Ukraine that I ordered before the group buy surfaced.

Just to clarify, you guys used them in the .1uF places and bypassed the 1.0s with them? That's 8. How many go in the Clarinet?

tubesforever

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2008, 02:54 am »
Bill, 

For the Clarinet, I am using four teflons total at this time. 

One pair does duty at the  B+ feed. 

As a note, I am not bypassing this at the 1.0uf value Jim specifies.  I have this currently bypassed with a PIO K40Y9 0.22uf 400V caps + one of the tefllon caps.  I used the the smaller 0.32 value because with the 1.1 uf caps (1.0 Dynamicap and 0.10uf FT-3) I found the sound to be a little too syrupy. 

Right now I think I went from too much syrup to too thin a presence.  I think I will bump this up to .47 sometime this week to see if that hits the mark. 

You will need 4 total.  You could use 6 if you want to use a pair in the incoming signal cap position.  Jim put that there for DC offset purposes. 

Bill if you have DC offset on all your sources you can bypass this cap.  I did that with some solid 4 nines silver.

I just might try another pair of FT-3 caps in that first slot.  I do a lot of traveling and I wonder if someday I might plug into someone's gear without DC offset.

I should probably switch that, so I could run the cap or the bypass with an easy to reach switch.   

Cheers!

analog97

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2008, 03:56 pm »
Has anyone tried the Russian Teflon cap bypass on a Clarinet with Auricaps?   If 4 are used, can someone tell me what positions they are installed in?  Could someone also say which positions they could be installed on a Cornet2 also built with Auricaps?   If the results are impressive, I would consider this mod, but I'm her to tell ya' both the C2 and Clarinet are awesome with the Auricaps as recommended by the engineer!!     Thanks, as I would like to be included in a future purchase.   :)

Python

« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:44 pm »
 Good day for all, people!  :D
My name is Oleg, and sorry for my english, Hope, you understand me!

So, now i starting my web-shop with radio components, and googled "FT-3" for additional info... And find this thread.

As i see all of you need wholesale counts of FT-3 caps...

I can offer you about 500 / 600-0.1 and 800 / 600-0.22 at low price. In wholesale amounts i ready give good discount. For this caps you can visit my shop "teflon caps" category http://ussr-tubes.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101

hagtech

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2008, 05:16 am »
Python,

Thanks for the link.  Do you have any 6E5P tubes?  I like them.

jh