OB-5 Construction by Carlos

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: OB-5 Construction by Carlos
« Reply #120 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:30 pm »
I think your base's shape ended up looking just like Denny's...

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #121 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:33 pm »
all I can say is WOW!!!!

klh

« Reply #122 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:00 pm »
It looks quite nice... but I don't know if I like the top layer being different than the bottom two. I'm sure whatever you do will look phenomenal :D.

Christof

« Reply #123 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:24 pm »
Sweet! 
How much of an arc is there on the side panels?  It's hard to tell from the pics...1/4"?
Why am I not surprised to see a Toyota truck sitting in your garage :wink:

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #124 on: 15 Oct 2009, 06:01 pm »
The radius is 9'. The dimension that is perpendicular to the center of the chord is 5/16th. I never thought I would use this kind of Math when I was in school  :o
Anyways, your guess is very good from just looking at pictures. 5/16ths is the answer.
The Tundra truck is nice to go on long trips, very comfortable. Not the best for gas mileage.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #125 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:42 pm »
I went to my local McBeath hardwoods store to pick up the Maple and Cherry needed to build the base, spent about 45 minutes picking through all the boards to find the right ones and then went to pay. "115 dollars !!! what, you've got to be kidding"!!! After the shock wore off, I told them thanks, but no thanks and I'd better go back home and reconfigure the base since most of the wood would only be visible along the edges. I just didn't want to spend another 100+ dollars on these speakers. So I redesigned the layout of the wood to use MDF in the center since that wouldn't be seen.
Went back to McBeath with my redesign that would not need so much wood, and thought I would take a look in there cutoffs-bin where scraps are only charged by the pound. At first I didn't see anything, and the guy I asked if he knew of any cherry or maple pieces that had been thrown in there recently just said no. And then, out of the corner of his eye he saw scrap pieces of both Maple and Cherry that were too big to have been put in the bin. Just perfect for what I needed, just sitting there. Snatched them up and paid $14 for them. How's that for fate.

A series of pictures showing their progress. The bottoms are a bit rough-and-ready, didn't think those had to be so perfect since they won't be seen and will probably receive some scuffing and scratches over time.

Maple machines-up so nice.

There was enough Maple to make the piece solid wood.

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 10:45 pm by Voncarlos »

klh

« Reply #126 on: 22 Oct 2009, 07:30 pm »
Beautiful as always :D. Can we see final pics of the entire enclosure?

Nick77

« Reply #127 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:31 pm »
Stunning as usual :thumb: Now tell us about the beer.  :green:

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #128 on: 23 Oct 2009, 03:46 pm »
Beautiful as always :D. Can we see final pics of the entire enclosure?

I'm in the process of wiring-up the drivers and implementing the final details of the speakers so I should have a final picture soon.

Now tell us about the beer.  :green:

Now that's a question that could have it's own thread all unto it's own.  :drool:
It's Squatters Full Suspension Pale Ale, a nice beer made by Salt Lake Brewing Company. I haven't made a huge tasting test of the various micro brews here in Utah, but of the ones I've tried, I find I can have several of these without the flavor going bad. It also helps that it's 4% alcohol by volume. However, I think there were by far many more good brews in Northern California.

The Beeradvocate gives it's a "B".

Here's a link to their review. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/136/20844
And here's one to their website. http://www.utahbeers.com/fullsuspension.html

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #129 on: 28 Oct 2009, 03:09 am »
I made a few cosmetic changes to the drivers.
I didn't like the extra terminal tab on the Basket so I cut it off and then applied a little clear finish to the cut area so it would match the sheen. I also didn't like the tab appendage possibly interfering with the flow of air.
And I also painted the Back Plate black for a more uniform look.

So, now I'm soldering up the drivers, and I have a question. Why is it that when soldering, the fumes always float right at your face? Doesn't matter which side of the table you stand on, they always come at you. ???

drab

« Reply #130 on: 28 Oct 2009, 05:36 am »
Don't breath in, only exhale.  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #131 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:46 pm »
So, now I'm soldering up the drivers, and I have a question. Why is it that when soldering, the fumes always float right at your face? Doesn't matter which side of the table you stand on, they always come at you. ???
I'm sure that was a rhetorical question, but.....
I've thought about designing and building a soldering table whose surface is pegboard on top. The structure of the table would be in the torsion panel design. The table top would be sealed except for the 1/4" holes. The cavities in the table would be plumbed to accept an exhaust hose. I'd then install an exhaust fan to pull the fumes outsides. In essence the table would be a "downdraft" table, much like an automotive downdraft paint booth. That's the short version of the idea anyway.

A similar table could be built to be used as a sanding station to keep sawdust away.

Bob

BrianH

« Reply #132 on: 30 Oct 2009, 06:30 am »
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21488&filter=downdraft

Might make it easier if you are so inclined. The plans are free for download anyway as a starting place.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #133 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:16 pm »
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21488&filter=downdraft

Might make it easier if you are so inclined. The plans are free for download anyway as a starting place.

Ahh crap...  :duh:
And I was thinking I had an original idea.  :lol:
Thanks for the heads-up Brian.

Bob

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #134 on: 2 Nov 2009, 02:33 pm »
The crossover base fit so snugly into the cabinet and that made it almost impossible to take out. I ended up attaching it to the base stand to facilitate easier removal.

The last few solder-ups.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #135 on: 2 Nov 2009, 04:34 pm »
Absolutely stunning :drool:

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #136 on: 2 Nov 2009, 07:13 pm »
A few finished pictures.
Now that the drivers and crossover have been added, this speaker becomes quite heavy and not easy to move around. It was very heavy before, but now that it's complete it's down-right dangerous to your L4-L5 discs. So I didn't move it to a very picturesque setting and I also forgot to dust it, I'll take nicer pics when I have them both completed.

As you can see, it's definitely smaller than the Eiffel Tower and about 3/4s of the size of the vintage MGIIIa's

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2009, 02:03 am by Voncarlos »

Jason Brent

« Reply #137 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:17 am »
Simply stunning.  Amazing work, sir.

Sonny

« Reply #138 on: 3 Nov 2009, 04:34 am »
Carlos, that some great / fantastic / absolutely wonderful cabinetry...  I have never heard of the OB-5, but for your sake, I hope they are the final speaker, what with all that work into the cabinets????

Tuan :thumb: :green: :green: :drool:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #139 on: 3 Nov 2009, 05:04 am »

They look great ! ! !  :beer: