September Issue Affordable$$Audio

Affordable$$Audio

Re: September Issue Affordable$$Audio
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:31 am »
Dorokusai:
First of all, Jeff was very kind to let me display the Echo Audio ad.  I promote the shop because Kurt Doslu has gone over the top in providing used/vintage gear for me to review from time to time.  Hang around in his shop for half an hour and you'll understand why his reputation in the Pacific Northwest is so high.

Second, I only review used gear from him, not new.  Those pieces are one-of-a-kind to his shop, which means when they are not there the visibility doesn't exist to the customers that stop by his store.  He could very well lose a sale while I'm doing a review.  It's a gamble for him, but he is such a quality guy and a true believer in strengthening the audio community that it is worth the risk.

mandolin!

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2008, 11:20 am »
My view (very amateur).

I love the magazine. I read it all the time. I subscribe to a couple of magazine (made of paper) here in Australia and A$$A betters them - by a fair way.

Some people dont like ads. Stiff bickies. That's life. Stop moaning.

I do agree that you have to be careful not to move too far up the price ladder. But it's a minor issue.

Keep up the great work guys.

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:01 pm »
A sneak preview of what is to come in the A$$A October issue. I am putting the finishing touches on an article about the GR Research NEO 1X kits with optional Parts Express cabinets. The basic kit(drivers & x-over) run $329, while upgrades can bring it to $550. Parts Express cabinets are about $90 each. If you chose to take pre-built cabinets, the kit can sell for $550 to $750. A fun weekend project that gets you a whole lotta speaker for a reasonable price....ie not cheap.....but price/performance ratio is fantastic. This is the kind of the review that has always been at the core of A$$A.

Regards
Mister Pig

Delacroix

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2008, 12:15 am »
I've sat this out for awhile but I feel increasingly the need to comment. I'll be brief:

• The magazine is free
  • Gear is voluntarily submitted by manufacturers
  • Reviewers place components in rigs they've constructed on their own dime
  • Reviewers put in considerable effort to write fair reviews
  • The resulting monthly magazine is produced by one person, in his spare time
  • Oh, and did I mention that the resulting monthly magazine is free?

Silly magazine for trying to cover a broad market.

I know this sounds harder than I mean it but I think A$$Audio IS different. I love that there are lots of mags out there, but this one really is trying to keep a sane eye on an insane industry.

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2008, 12:57 am »
Dorokusai:
First of all, Jeff was very kind to let me display the Echo Audio ad.  I promote the shop because Kurt Doslu has gone over the top in providing used/vintage gear for me to review from time to time.  Hang around in his shop for half an hour and you'll understand why his reputation in the Pacific Northwest is so high.

Second, I only review used gear from him, not new.  Those pieces are one-of-a-kind to his shop, which means when they are not there the visibility doesn't exist to the customers that stop by his store.  He could very well lose a sale while I'm doing a review.  It's a gamble for him, but he is such a quality guy and a true believer in strengthening the audio community that it is worth the risk.

First of all....awesome. It's great that you have that kind of relationship and he sounds like a solid audio nut. I'm sure that you'll continue to carry on and outside of that, produce an excellent e-zine.

Mark