So, what's going on?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
So, what's going on?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:53 pm »
Mike, Thanks for considering a future tour ! As for a pick, I guess a speaker that would appeal to all, a monitor. Would be easier to ship ( in a strong case). Other members may have other opinions. :)

Shamrock Audio

So, what's going on?
« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:28 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Mike, Thanks for considering a future tour ! As for a pick, I guess a speaker that would appeal to all, a monitor. Would be easier to ship ( in a strong case). Other members may have other opinions. :)

Actually, both are "monitors". The Eire (seen at the left), weighs in at about 35lbs. each. They are shipped in pairs in a single wooden crate. This brings them  to a combined weight of right at 100lbs, depending on the moisture content of the plywood used for the crate. The crates are built to withstand "normal" handling to the buyer and possibly a return trip if need be. (Since March of '97 when we introduced the Eire we've only had one set returned.)

Now, multiple shipments of the same set of speakers require a more stout crate than that. It also must be easily opened and reclosed for the next user. That's fine, just expect the weight to go up accordingly. It's also cheaper to ship a single crate than two - although two might well be easier to manage. :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
So, what's going on?
« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:39 pm »
Yes Mike, the stronger the better. As a guide , when Danny at GR Research sent his speakers around , they were well protected in a resealable wood crate, screws to open and close, double boxed. Both speakers were in the crate. Heavy , yes. But you must protect the speakers!! :)

Shamrock Audio

So, what's going on?
« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2003, 06:32 pm »
Just remember, we wont be liable for any injuries incurred while attempting to move them around. :)

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
So, what's going on?
« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2003, 03:55 am »
Hi Mike,
You mentioned a few posts back about the possibility of grill covers.A few manufacturers are now using magnetic grills. Easy to take off, easy to put on, no broken posts. I just wonder why no one thought of them before.

Shamrock Audio

So, what's going on?
« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2003, 05:56 am »
Quote from: Merle
Hi Mike,
You mentioned a few posts back about the possibility of grill covers.A few manufacturers are now using magnetic grills. Easy to take off, easy to put on, no broken posts. I just wonder why no one thought of them before.

They were thought of before. One or two companies used them in the 70's or 80's. From what I heard, the magnets became weak after a couple of years and then the grills would no longer stay on. In the end, not a perfect solution.