Thoughts and suggestions for dealing with treatment in a small room?

AB

Awesome job but I have one suggestion - teddy bears should always be placed BEHIND the listening position for best effect. I see you are trying the floor/wall corner.  :lol:

ShinOBIWAN

More progress.

The vertical blinds will be going to be replaced by venetian blinds with oak slats. This will carry across to the oak cabinets at the front of the room.

The room acoustic is getting better and better all the time. I think without the fabric and just the rockwool it was perhaps too dead. Certainly when it was without fabric and you entered the room then it felt odd compared to the rest of the house. The slight amount of reflectivity in the higher frequencies given by the fabric is now lending a fresh sound to the room. By that I mean there's no disturbing reverb, echo, flutter or whatever else and it simply feels open and somewhat like behing outdoors at night when there's minimal ambient noise.

Pretty cool. Still not got any speakers in yet to test it out and have decided to leave this now until its finished.

Finally the 2 seater recliner arrived from DFS. Still plenty to do and in particular the cabinet at the front of the room will take awhile but its coming together.

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 01:24 am by ShinOBIWAN »

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
What kind of fabric are you using? Is that microfiber? Can't tell if that is texture or pattern in it...

-Tony

ShinOBIWAN

What kind of fabric are you using? Is that microfiber? Can't tell if that is texture or pattern in it...

-Tony

Hi

The fabric is called Alcantara and is a man made suede. There's no pattern just a grain to fabric - you can put whatever patterns you like in by running you hand in different directions.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Sir, very nice job.  I love the colors that you chose.

It appears you are really into details, but one thing I do not understand is why did you not paint and fill-in the screw holes on your 1st frame before putting on your outer frame ?

Nick77

Nice work! I have a project coming up that I would like to look very similar. Can I ask what kind of investment you have going there?

ShinOBIWAN

Sir, very nice job.  I love the colors that you chose.

It appears you are really into details, but one thing I do not understand is why did you not paint and fill-in the screw holes on your 1st frame before putting on your outer frame ?

Thanks

I meant to but completely forgot. I might try to putting a dab of filler in there and a flick of paint to hide.

ShinOBIWAN

Nice work! I have a project coming up that I would like to look very similar. Can I ask what kind of investment you have going there?

Do you mean investment for the work?

Not really sure. probably the most expensive thing was fabric @ £29/m. It helps to keep costs down by DIY so its not cost as much as you might think. As a very rough guess about £1000 for all materials and excluding furniture, fittings and equipment.

ShinOBIWAN

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2008, 05:43 pm by ShinOBIWAN »

ShinOBIWAN

All treatments for the walls are now finished:

Next up are the fitted cabinets at the front of the room. I was planning to build these myself but time and shitty British weather is against me so in the end I've gone with a local small bespoke furniture company who are working to a design very similar to what's shown below. You don't even want to know how much its cost but the materials and workmanship are first rate. Should be ready within the next two weeks.

ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN

Carpet down and some equipment moved back into the room. Nothing hooked up though. I'm redoing the baffle inserts so that why the speakers look odd. The material is the same as what's on the walls but of course, black.

ShinOBIWAN

Baffle retrimming mission complete.

mjosef

Wow...with a set up like that I may never leave home. Impressive.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

OMG, you certainly get a A+ for effort.  All the best.  You deserve it.

ShinOBIWAN

Thought I'd update since its all but finished now. I also added an RME Fireface 800 sound interface and Genelec 8020 active surrounds.

bummrush

Just looking at that sweet beautiful setup with the speakers fitting so perfect,relaxed me just looking at those pics.