Bryston 7B's-Am i missing out on something?

Bradster56

Bryston 7B's-Am i missing out on something?
« on: 25 Aug 2008, 05:52 pm »
The above are being used with their original power cords...Is it time to replace them? I've tweaked many aspects of my system sans power cords...Opinions please  :)

Sasha

Re: Bryston 7B's-Am i missing out on something?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2008, 05:26 pm »
I tried several mid-priced power cords on 7B SST, ended up with stock Bryston cords.
My ears, my system, so make out of it what you can  :wink:
If you have not invested yet into good power conditioner, spend money on it rather than on power cords. Check Torus.

Bradster56

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2008, 05:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply...I currently have 2 API PowerWedges in my system but will certainly look into the Torus line...

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm »
I think you'll be shocked at what the Torus can do(MAJOR COMPONENT UPGRADE).
I have 2,1x15a and a 20a (both balanced)I'm keeping my 20a (for components)and
purchasing a 45a-balanced as I have 3X7B-ssts+2X4B-ssts. 8) 8) 8)I'm using Lessloss cables and I'm happy with those(sold off my Shunyatas).

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2008, 01:33 am »
What is the rest of your system - digital source, speakers, speaker cables, etc. What is it you feel that you are missing in the music? The Torus is a good recommendation, certainly a big step up from your Power Wedge! Bryston uses Canare interconnects and Van Damme speaker cables (hifi series) for neutral transmission of signals.

I don't have all the answers but what I found was the Black Sands Statement One works very well with my Bryston, as well as the Canare IC. I have not tried the Van Damme speaker cables yet but hope to do so sometime soon. I have compared power fed from a Power Wedge vs Shunyata Hydra-6 and definitely preferred the latter which now conditions the AC feeding the Bryston.

Although I hate the nuisance and bother of swapping cables, I have learnt that cables should stay in a system for at least 100 hours before you can pass judgement. All to often - and I have been guilty of this in the past - is to pop a cable in, briefly listen to it and then decide within a day that the cable is not suitable.

Best Regards
Dennis

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2008, 02:57 pm »
Drummermitchell,

You got me confused, you say you have balanced 15amp Torus, I thought only 20amp versions are balanced (input being balanced)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2008, 03:56 pm »
Drummermitchell,

You got me confused, you say you have balanced 15amp Torus, I thought only 20amp versions are balanced (input being balanced)?

Hi Sasha,

The Torus 120 volt/15 amp (RM15 BAL)  is available as a Balanced version as well.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2008, 04:05 pm »
Hi Shasha,she is a 15a 240v(balanced)Torus-RM-15+I have the RM-20a(240v) also balanced.
I'm running all components and 2X4B-ssts thru the 15a and my 3X7B-ssts thru the 20a.
I was in Edmonton yesterday and ordered a 45a balanced for my Amps.I believe at 8ohms I need
65a at 4ohms and at 8ohms 27a.I don't mean to get side tracked,but when I added the 20a(for my 7bs)
everything just grew with "AUTHORITY".The easiest way to describe the difference is riding on a honda 90 for a few years and then,and then sitting on a Harley 1200 and Feeling all that power as you turn the throttle, 8) 8) 8).The 15a model#AO18-HCB-A1AA,receptacles are 15a.

klao

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2008, 09:26 pm »
Sorry this is not pertaining to the AC-related subject of this thread, but a bit to the 7B's.

Would connecting both RCA and XLR inputs of the 7B-SST amps simultaneously, say from a balanced stereo preamp (without a HT bypass) and from an AV receiver's single-end front L/R preouts, short circuit the power amps, the preamp, and/or the AVR, even if the the preamp and AVR are not turned on at the same time? 

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2008, 10:07 pm »
Sorry this is not pertaining to the AC-related subject of this thread, but a bit to the 7B's.

Would connecting both RCA and XLR inputs of the 7B-SST amps simultaneously, say from a balanced stereo preamp (without a HT bypass) and from an AV receiver's single-end front L/R preouts, short circuit the power amps, the preamp, and/or the AVR, even if the the preamp and AVR are not turned on at the same time? 

Thank you.

Hi Klao,

You can have both plugged in at the same time.

james

klao

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2008, 12:42 am »

Thank you.

Hi Klao,

You can have both plugged in at the same time.

james

Hello James,

Thanks, that seems great.  How about if both stereo & HT sources are playing while the preamp and the AV receiver are accidentally turned on, still OK? 

If one does not mind adjusting the input & sensitivity switches of the power amps, is this a viable solution for enjoying both music and HT by utilizing a preamp such as the BP26, an AV receiver, and the 7B's (while one is not ready for a SP3)?  Or would you recommend connecting AVR's front L/R preouts to one of the preamp's inputs first, then use just one set of ICs to connect preamp to the power amps?  I understand this might be complicated in terms of adjusting & remembering the preamp volume to match that of AVR's other channels, after room/EQ auto calibration is made via AVR's microphone.   

Klao

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2008, 12:17 am »
What is the rest of your system - digital source, speakers, speaker cables, etc. What is it you feel that you are missing in the music? The Torus is a good recommendation, certainly a big step up from your Power Wedge! Bryston uses Canare interconnects and Van Damme speaker cables (hifi series) for neutral transmission of signals.

I don't have all the answers but what I found was the Black Sands Statement One works very well with my Bryston, as well as the Canare IC. I have not tried the Van Damme speaker cables yet but hope to do so sometime soon. I have compared power fed from a Power Wedge vs Shunyata Hydra-6 and definitely preferred the latter which now conditions the AC feeding the Bryston.

Although I hate the nuisance and bother of swapping cables, I have learnt that cables should stay in a system for at least 100 hours before you can pass judgement. All to often - and I have been guilty of this in the past - is to pop a cable in, briefly listen to it and then decide within a day that the cable is not suitable.

Best Regards
Dennis

Belden 10 gauge is good too. That's what I run for speaker cable.

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2008, 11:41 am »
I don't run Bryston power amps in any of my systems, but am sufficiently impressed with the Torus RM20 (not balanced) in my main system that I've ordered a second.

drummermitchell,

How did you arrange the wiring for the balanced Toruses (Tori for those strict about Latin grammar)?

AndrewA

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm »
Hi James:

I was just on the Torus website, and I couldn't find the 120V / BAL model you mentioned in a previous post.

All the 120V models, from 2.5 through 20, had no mention of BAL.

Then it seemed like all the 240V input ones were (automatically) balanced.  With this strange 208V option.

Am I missing something?  If it is on the Torus site, where should I look?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:48 pm »
Hi James:

I was just on the Torus website, and I couldn't find the 120V / BAL model you mentioned in a previous post.

All the 120V models, from 2.5 through 20, had no mention of BAL.

Then it seemed like all the 240V input ones were (automatically) balanced.  With this strange 208V option.

Am I missing something?  If it is on the Torus site, where should I look?

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Here is the link to the RM15 and RM20 Bal (left side selection on page)
http://www.toruspower.com/rm_15_bal.htm

The 208V is a 3-phase system that is used alot in industrial buildings.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2008, 01:40 pm »
Hi Dubkarma:

Before I had the 15a and 20a (both balanced 240v),I had my electrician run I believe 6-7 gauge wire
from my main panel and ran it up to my living room.He had installed 2X40a breakers in my main panel.
In the living room,we put a sub panel that holds 8X15a breakers,so that gave me 8 duplex receptacles.
16 plugins(JUST IN CASE).I was running a Hydra 6(components)and 5X hydra 2s(power amps).
When I heard about TORUS,AudioArk had a 15a balanced(240v) that I borrowed to check out.
it was just as good or better than my Hydras,i had just about everything plugged in to the Torus.
So since I wanted to separate components and amps(3X7Bssts+2X4B-ssts),I purchased a 20a(240v)Torus.
As soon as hooked that up,We'll I could not believe what was happening,more Bottom end,air ect.
I e-mailed James tanner and asked what might be happening.I thought maybe I was getting older or losing it.
the 15a wouldn't let all that power unleash itself.I believe if I remember correctly:
5X16.5a+82a(4ohms)+8 ohms=41a.2/3 of that,27a at 8 OHMS+65a at 4OHMS.
So really with the 2X Torus,I have 35a.I already ordered a 45a balanced,as I'm trading the 15a in for the 45a and keeping the 20a(for components,sub,and 4bs(and the 45a for the7bs).GETTING BACK to the sub panel,my electrician disabled 2 receptacles and gave me 2X240v receptacles.
ALL I CAN SAY IS,WHAT AN UPGRADE THE TORUS'S MADE,HUGE,HUGE IMPROVEMENT.
Sorry for the detail but I get right excited whe I get a major improvent in my system :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.

AndrewA

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:13 pm »
OK, I see the source of my confusion.

There are basically three types of Toruses (Tori?).

120V in and 120V out.

240V in and 120V out.

204V in and 240V out (manufactured for other countries with 240V).

You get the "balanced" feature with the 240V in, but you need a dedicated 20amp line and socket to provide the 240V juice to the Torus, which then outputs 120V.

So may I ask another question?

Is the "balanced" nature of these models the same as the "balanced" sockets one finds on certain other power conditioners?--I'm thinking specifically of the Furman Reference 15.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:22 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Balanced just means you have 120V and 120V on 2 legs coming in. You can not use 60/60 balanced lines in a domestic environment without monitoring and safety labeling resrtictions -I have a newsletter on that -

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/08/Volume10_Iss2.pdf

The Torus in North America is available in a balanced configuration 240V in Balanced and 120V out as you say. It looks like the Furman is 120 Volts in so it would not be a balanced input.

I looked at the Furman you mentioned but it appears to be just a filter not an isolation transformer?

james

AndrewA

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:20 pm »
Many thanks for the reply.

I'm definitely way out of my technical comfort zone with this one.  I may also have been inexact with the terminology used.

Two of the sockets on the Furman are labelled "Discrete Symmetrical Power", and here's an explanation from another website of what this is.

"Discrete Symmetrically Balanced power is achieved by running the incoming AC line into a 1:1 ratio isolation transformer, with a precisely placed center tap on the transformer's output or secondary. The incoming voltage, (120 VAC on the Line terminal and 0 VAC on the Neutral and Ground) are split in perfect halves on the secondary of the transformer. The output Line terminal now has 60 VAC, and the Neutral terminal has 60 VAC, when referenced to its center tap Ground, which remains at 0 VAC. What's significant about this is that the two 60 VAC terminals are now in opposite polarity. So the symmetrical AC noise (or common mode) fields cancel. Further, this noise reduction is extraordinarily efficient and linear across a huge frequency range (bandwidth). Recording and broadcast microphones have utilized this same noise reduction principle for over 80 years."

If I'm understanding this correctly (and I may well not be), Torus are doing with 2 x 120 what they are describing here as doing with 120 split into 2 x 60.  The Torus would obviously be superior, but superficially at least it looks as if there's something of a family resemblance in what's being done....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2008, 05:34 pm »
Many thanks for the reply.

I'm definitely way out of my technical comfort zone with this one.  I may also have been inexact with the terminology used.

Two of the sockets on the Furman are labelled "Discrete Symmetrical Power", and here's an explanation from another website of what this is.

"Discrete Symmetrically Balanced power is achieved by running the incoming AC line into a 1:1 ratio isolation transformer, with a precisely placed center tap on the transformer's output or secondary. The incoming voltage, (120 VAC on the Line terminal and 0 VAC on the Neutral and Ground) are split in perfect halves on the secondary of the transformer. The output Line terminal now has 60 VAC, and the Neutral terminal has 60 VAC, when referenced to its center tap Ground, which remains at 0 VAC. What's significant about this is that the two 60 VAC terminals are now in opposite polarity. So the symmetrical AC noise (or common mode) fields cancel. Further, this noise reduction is extraordinarily efficient and linear across a huge frequency range (bandwidth). Recording and broadcast microphones have utilized this same noise reduction principle for over 80 years."

If I'm understanding this correctly (and I may well not be), Torus are doing with 2 x 120 what they are describing here as doing with 120 split into 2 x 60.  The Torus would obviously be superior, but superficially at least it looks as if there's something of a family resemblance in what's being done....

Hi Andrew,

I am going to pass the explaination on to our Torus PHD designer for this. Not sure if the 60/60V in may have some restrictions as to where it can be used and if this means a 60/60 split on the output as well?

Stay tuned.

james