August 2008 NYAR - a great time!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
August 2008 NYAR - a great time!
« on: 24 Aug 2008, 03:17 am »
All,

Today I attended the NYAR August meeting at Jim's (Hogg).  I brought Anthony (loyal RWA employee and music lover), the Isabella with built-in dac, Signature 30.2 power amp (actually, these both were purchased by Maruisz and we were just burning them in for him  :wink:), WLM La Scala Monitors, and RWA interconnects and speaker cable.  For a transport - the Macbook loaded with WAV/Lossless files and using USB output.

First, I want to thank Jim and his wife Jane for hosting this event  :notworthy:... they have such a beautiful home with a really spectacular view of the Long Island Sound.  The weather was great and there were sailboats on the water, and plenty of cold drinks and tasty food outside on the patio - such a perfect day and they were largely responsible for it.

Inside, there was plenty of equipment (e.g. Jim's Tannoy's and his fine tube amps), and plenty types of music being played.  The day just flew by!  I enjoyed being with all the familiar faces, and meeting a bunch of news ones! It is nice to be able to put a face to the name on audiocircle.  :green:    You guys were a lot of fun - thank you!

I thought that I was going to be setting up in one of Jim's smaller rooms, so I brought the WLM La Scala Monitors.  It turns out that room was being used for a "dac shootout," so I ended up parking in Jim's larger, main listening room.  While the La Scala (floorstanders) would have been ideal for this larger-sized room, the La Scala Monitors did not disappoint!  They threw out a big, wide and open sound stage and Jim's room had plenty of "natural" room treatment, so there were essentially no standing wave or refection issues to compete with.  I wish the hotel rooms as the audio shows were like this!

Levi brought some NOS tubes (Amperex gold pin 6922s, Bugle Boy 6DJ8s) and we swapped them in the Isabella and the differences were very noticeable - it was fun!  The Amperex gold pin 6922s were very rich and seductive sounding and I thought about "secretly borrowing" them from Levi (aka, stealing) - just kidding!  :jester:

TopRound also "donated" his Lector CD player and we used it as a transport for the built-in Isabellina dac in the Isabella.  There were many members who had lots of CDs to try (ahem, SET Man.. ahem, Lonewolfny42  :thumb:) and I did not have the patience to rip them all to the Macbook (and isn't that illegal  :oops:  :icon_lol:) so the transport was helpful for this and was a very nice transport! 

SET Man (Buddy) delivered on his promise to bring Thai Ice Coffee and everything sounded (and tasted) so sweet with a glass of this!  Since I only got a few hours of sleep the night before, all the caffeine gave me a big kick!  :hyper:

Someone (I think TopRound) also brought an old Dynaco 120 (solid state) amp and we connected it to the Isabella and it sounded great.  Is it really true it was bought at a garage sale for $30 - now THAT is a value!!!  :wink:   

The SP Timepiece Minis that Lonewolf brought were also a pleasure to listen to and I was glad to be able to finally hear them.  The 30.2 was able to drive them fairly loud, but when we really pushed it there was clipping.  At "normal" listening levels, they sounded excellent together.  When Mariusz finally arrived :green:, I also enjoyed his AAD stand-mount speakers (sorry I forgot the model number, but they have the vertical bars on the front)... the WLMs, SP's, and AADs all had their own sound and areas where they excel.  It was interesting to hear them all in the same room with the same equipment, without bothering with "shootouts."  Everyone was having too much fun and tearing through their music collections - now that is what is all about!  :beer:

Being with you NY Audio Ravers was a lot of fun and thank you all for listening to the RWA system, and thanks again to Jim and Jane for having us and being such a great host and hostess!  It was a great day in Stamford, CT (and I didn't have to drive too far to visit  Wink2)

-Vinnie

JoshK

Re: August 2008 NYAR - a great time!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2008, 03:28 am »
It was a great time.  It was nice to meet you Vinnie.  Your gear sounded really good to my ears, though I can't say I truely compared your gear to other's in any sort of controlled way.   I was surprised that you got the mini monitors (AAD, SP, etc) to go as loud as they did with only 30 watts. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:09 pm »
Hi Josh,

It was a pleasure to meet you!

Thanks to Levi, here are some nice pictures of the event:

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2008, 05:03 pm »
Hi Vinne,

It was good to see you again after a long time now.
I agree with you - 30.2 and La Scalas have nice synergy in making music.
I think your amps sounded best with the La Scalas - music was effortless and clean. Perhaps the monitors need to breakin a bit more for that seamless top to bottom integration.

Cheers
Sunil.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2008, 01:40 am »
Hi Vinne,

It was good to see you again after a long time now.
I agree with you - 30.2 and La Scalas have nice synergy in making music.
I think your amps sounded best with the La Scalas - music was effortless and clean. Perhaps the monitors need to breakin a bit more for that seamless top to bottom integration.

Cheers
Sunil.

Hi Sunil,

Nice seeing you again as well and thanks for listening!  Glad you enjoyed the RWA + WLM combo and yes, these sounded best with each other!

Perhaps the monitors need to breakin a bit more for that seamless top to bottom integration.

Yes, I did not have them running a whole lot before bringing them because they are new (probably less than 25 hours on that pair), as was the Isabella and 30.2 power amp (probably close to 50 hours - maybe).

I also agree with you regarding the speaker stands needing to be filled to sound their best...

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2008, 02:40 am »
First of   - Big thanks to Jim and his wonderful wife for hosting the Rave.
Thank you

Vinnie, as always it was pleasure to see you.
Thank you for all the hard work you did on my Isabella/DAC and Sig, 30.2 amp.
I really appreciate it and I own you ......big time.

LA Scala monitors match very well with RWA gear and they were most happy with that combination. Very nice fit and finish with very clean lines.
As you have already meantion, La Scalas were meant to be use in one of the smaller rooms in Jim's house and due to the DAC shoot-out they end up in the main listening room. Although the sound and base was not bad , considering the size of the room and speaker placement. I am sure that if placed closer to the corners and a little farther apart, the base as well as soundstage would improve dramatically.
At the end - very interesting combo with qualities which I am going to mention in the second but before I do, I can't help but repeat my previous observations. That DAC sounds really, really good  with your Mac laptop playing digital files using iTunes. Last but not least - in my opinion, Isabella with build in DAC is a must......at least for me.
There is this synergy and the way one complements the other that can not be denied. It is the perfect match.
Speaking of a good matching......the La Scala speakers.
I have noticed two main characteristics of these Austrian made speakers.
One - they are very good with Rock.....but not only. Jazz sounded just as good.
And second - the top end seems to be more forgiving then most, smooth, ease to listen to and non-fatiguing.

Again
Thank you and I will talk to you soon

Regards
Mariusz

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2008, 04:19 am »
Vinnie, it was nice meeting you and Anthony at the Rave.  That was my first time listening to an all Red Wine system and it sounded pretty good.  I think with some proper speaker setup time, the sound would have been super!  I like the look of the La Scala.  The finish is superb but subtle.  See you guys at Rocky Mountain.

Paul 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:20 am »
Hi Mariusz and Paul,

Thank you for your posts and thanks for listening at Jim's!

I am sure that if placed closer to the corners and a little farther apart, the base as well as soundstage would improve dramatically.

Jim had a lot of gear in his living room, and while I did want to place the La Scala Monitors back a little more (they were almost half way into the room) and farther apart, I did not want to ask Jim to move his Tannoys around - I was just so appreciative to be able to bring everything and I knew we were also going to use the room to try his Tannoys and try other speakers, so I didn't want to spend too much time with placement... especially since a lot of people had CDs in hand and were ready to listen  :thumb:

We'll have a full day before RMAF starts to fine-tune speaker placement and get everything just right (well, as good as we can for a small hotel room!). 

And second - the top end seems to be more forgiving then most, smooth, ease to listen to and non-fatiguing.

Yes, the 2.5" paper cone tweeter is very sweet - detailed, smooth, non-fatiguing at all times, and there is also a tweeter control on the back to allow you a +/-3dB adjustment.  We had it set to 0dB, but you can fine tune it to your equipment, room, and listening tastes. 

Thanks again,

Vinnie

PS: I'll say it again - that La Scala Floorstanders would have been DYNAMITE in that room!  :bounce:   In a smaller room (e.g. I currently have the La Scala Monitors in a much smaller 14' x 15' room), the monitors really shine and have plenty of weight...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2008, 10:40 pm »
Vinnie....

Your almost there....just lean.... a.... little... more.... :wink:   :jester:

Thanks again to you and Anthony for attending the August Rave....and for helping me out !!! :thumb:

Both the new preamp/dac and WLM speaker's made for a very enjoyable listen...fine additions to RWA line.... 8)

Hope to see you at a few future Rave's....and I'll see you at RMAF '08 ....knock'em dead !!! :beer:

Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2008, 01:12 am »
Hi Chris,

Love the picture and thanks for the pointers!  :green:

As always, it was great to see you again and looking forward to RMAF!

See you there,

Vinnie

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2008, 01:30 am »
Hi Chris,

Love the picture and thanks for the pointers!  :green:

As always, it was great to see you again and looking forward to RMAF!

See you there,

Vinnie

Yeah....nice pose. Almost there .;)
What would make this photo even more original, would be a glass of red wine and Chris with Austrian beer.:)

Mariusz

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2008, 01:57 am »
Hey!

Vinnie, it was nice to see you again. And I'm impressed with the WLM speaker. Would love to hear the bigger one someday. :D

And your pre proved itself again in a totally different system. Looking forward to see your new phono stage pre when is come out. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2008, 01:36 pm »
Hey!

Vinnie, it was nice to see you again. And I'm impressed with the WLM speaker. Would love to hear the bigger one someday. :D

And your pre proved itself again in a totally different system. Looking forward to see your new phono stage pre when is come out. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Hi Buddy,

Thank you - glad you enjoyed listening.  If you or Levi have any "mini-raves" in the future (don't you two live close by in Queens?), I'll try to make it and can bring whatever you want to hear - I'll even bring a bin full of LPs  aa

What would make this photo even more original, would be a glass of red wine and Chris with Austrian beer.

Now why didn't I think of that?!  :duh:  :green:

Vinnie