Mac Mini questions

Greggo

Mac Mini questions
« on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:09 pm »
I have read much about streaming files off any type of Mac with iTunes, but I could use some pointers on the following:

1) If I have a friend over and they bring some CDs, is there good software and decent results to be had by playing the CD directly in the Mac mini and straight out to my DAC, or does this only work well by ripping discs lossless and then streaming from iTunes?  Also, can you listen to CDs while you rip them?

2)  Any good links/sites to recommend for this issue with DVD playback into my home theatre as well?  I am hoping that I can replace both my CD player and my DVD player, and have the added convenience of building up a large iTunes library, by investing in a Mac mini that would connect to both a DAC and my video projector...

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Regards,

Greg Jensen

santacore

Re: Mac Mini questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:44 pm »
1) If I have a friend over and they bring some CDs, is there good software and decent results to be had by playing the CD directly in the Mac mini and straight out to my DAC, or does this only work well by ripping discs lossless and then streaming from iTunes?  Also, can you listen to CDs while you rip them?

I can help with your first set of questions. With CD's you can either play them from the mini like you would a CD player or you can rip them to lossless format and then play from there. Either way it should sound good. You would use Apple iTunes software to rip, listen, and manage your whole library. To play direct from the Mac mini to your DAC you best option would be a USB DAC. Either that or you could use ethernet output with a Squeezebox setup or use the optical output direct to a DAC. I like the USB option, but pick the one that suits you best. Yes, iTunes allows you to listen while you rip.

yooper

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:57 pm »
Regarding a site that has some good info, I recommend the HTPC Mac forum over at AVS, lot's of good information for all your HTPC needs.  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115

A secondary source if needed http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64

Mark

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2008, 04:34 pm »
Regarding a site that has some good info, I recommend the HTPC Mac forum over at AVS, lot's of good information for all your HTPC needs.  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115

A secondary source if needed http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64

Mark

Great stuff, Mark.  Just what I was looking for.

Thanks.  :thumb:

sbrtoy

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2008, 09:42 pm »
Well...ripping CD's that aren't yours could be construed as illegal  :wink:....however they would likely sound better this way.  I found the Mac Mini drive to be prone to reading errors and also to have quite a bit of vibration, neither is a big deal when you use error correction and playback from disc, however playing back live this could be problematic.  I would suggest putting some form of dampening under the case, I levelled mine and used some cheap vibrapods underneath and it reduced the vibration and mechanical noise while discs were spinning.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:45 pm »
Well...ripping CD's that aren't yours could be construed as illegal  :wink:....however they would likely sound better this way.  I found the Mac Mini drive to be prone to reading errors and also to have quite a bit of vibration, neither is a big deal when you use error correction and playback from disc, however playing back live this could be problematic.  I would suggest putting some form of dampening under the case, I levelled mine and used some cheap vibrapods underneath and it reduced the vibration and mechanical noise while discs were spinning.

Not to mention drive failure after excessive use. A few folks I know have invested in external CD drives which might be something to consider.

avta

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:10 am »
Greggo:
I've used a Mac Mini ( G4 ) to rip cd's for the past few years. I use a free program called Max ( www.sbooth.org ) The quality of the sound using computer playback of the flac files that are generated ( I use a gadget called a Squeezebox to send the files over the internet in wireless mode to my stereo system )  is superior to what you would find unless you have an expensive cd player in my view. I use the built in cd drive of the Mac and so far have not had problems.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2008, 02:02 pm by avta »

Greggo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2008, 02:53 am »
Thank You !!!

To all the replies and great info, I really do appreciate it.  Yes, I am really asking just about playing discs with no intentions to rip (or rip off artists by not purchasing music I listen to...) or being able to listen to stuff while I am ripping my own disks (which means I am using computer disc drive in realtime like a standard consumer CD player).  I am an IT guy but not much on personal computers and family is just getting into iPods and iTunes so I am starting to investigate the next step of integrating into home stereo setup.

Thanks again, especially for the info about the internal Mac drives being a bit shaky, this would be important in my small space for watching movies of DVD, so I will definitely look for some vibration reducing feet/mounts for the Mac mini.

Regards,

Greg Jensen

K.C.

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2008, 05:36 am »
Thank You !!!
.. especially for the info about the internal Mac drives being a bit shaky, this would be important in my small space for watching movies of DVD, so I will definitely look for some vibration reducing feet/mounts for the Mac mini.

I currently have a couple of Minis and have owned many since they were introduced. While it's true that for audio CDs the drives do occasionally skip, this seems to be due to the silkscreening on the CD and this has never been the case with DVDs. In fact the current DVD player software that ships with OS 10.5 is one of the best ways to watch rented DVDs because it's error correction is outstanding and it will skip over bad sectors without hanging.

An important feature you may not be aware of is the audio in and out support optical. You can use a Toslink mini adaptor for either input or output and run to a good DAC. I use a Benchmark DAC-1 and it sounds great.

barnz

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2008, 05:58 pm »
I have (functionally) replaced my high end cd player and dvd player with the mac mini.
My standalone CD player is still better, but less convenient - and if I want ultimate sound, I'll be playing the LP!  :wink:

I haven't really done a/b comparisons, because I want to have my library stored anyway - but the optical drive certainly is noisier than playing from the HD, which is silent until/if the mini's cooling fan kicks in.
(I use SBooth's MAX for CDs and Mac The Ripper for my DVDs).

I'm connecting via toslinks to a Linn 5103 for DAC and ADC.