Vinyl Night out West

Blackmore

Vinyl Night out West
« on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:13 pm »
Scott and Steve came out to 'educate' me in the ways of 70's KSHE favorites.  :guitar:  We started off the evening having to glue my Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood body back together!  Came apart 10 minutes before they got here.  Glue of choice... "Original Tacky Glue"  After some BBQ, we settled down to some serious listening, starting with Aphrodite's Child.

I think I got high off the residue from playing that baby!! :lol:

Then Scott turned DJ and we listened for about 5 hours to one hit wonders from his and Steve's collection. marktwain, you should have been here. We didn't get to Molly Hatchet or Uriah Heep, but we were out there.
Around 10 pm I decided that you can't have vintage vinyl night without a vintage table. So we added a Quadraflex Reference table with my dad's 50 year old Shure M3D cartridge (new stylus)  This was a bass lover's dream.  Here are pics of some of the night's listening. Scott going to try and publish a playlist later on today.  Thanks for coming out guys. That was a great listening adventure.

steve k

Re: Vinyl Night out West
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:57 pm »
What a blast from the past that was. Golden oldies that I remember quite well but couldn't begin to name the bands. As Blackmore said, the Quadraflex/Shure combo was a bass player's dream! You could pick out the bass line in every song. The highlight of the night for me was Martian Boogie. What are you eatin there crayons?
steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:06 pm »
Sounds like a ball.  I'm probably in the same boat you are Steve. I'd recognize a lot but couldn't begin to name a lot of it. 

Make sure you clean out those double album covers  :wink:

Bryan

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:13 pm »
Too late to clean.  I live one block from the police station and I'm afraid the local drug dog will "hit" on my house. :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:12 pm »
Had an absolute blast  :thumb: The only thing missing was the bong and a blacklight  :lol:

Here is a list of some of the music we played. I'm sure I missed some, especially some of Steve's vinyl pics.

Artist, Song, Album

• Aphrodite's Child, Four Horsemen, The, 666
    Argent, God Gave Rock and Roll, In Deep
    Auger, Brian   Bumpin on Sunset   
    Batdorf & Rodney, Home Again, Batdorf & Rodney
    Blackfoot, J.D., Song of Crazy Horse, The, The Song of Crazy Horse
    Blue Cheer, I'm the Light, Oh Pleasant Hope
    Blue Oyster Cult      
    Brownsville Station, Martian Boogie, Brownsville Station
    Cooper, Alice,
    Dilcher, Cheryl, High, Butterfly
    Dilcher, Cheryl, Run and Hide   
    Dudek, Les City Magic   
    Dudek, Les Whats it gonna be, Say No More
    Earth Quake,   Things, Earth Quake
    Finnigan & Wood, Highway, Crazed Hipsters
    Franke & The Knockouts, Sweetheart, Frankie & The Knockouts
    Free Beer      
    Genesis, Suppers Ready, Foxtrot
    Henry Gross, Junk Food Junkie, Junk Food Junkie
    Gypsy, Dead and Gone, Gypsy
    Gypsy, Tomorrow is the Last to Be Heard, Gypsy
    Headstone, Turn Your Head, Headstone
    Hudson Ford, Take A Little Word, Free Spirit
    Iris, Donnie, Ah! Leah!, Back on the Streets
    Mahogany Rush, Tales of the Spanish Warrior, Strange Universe
    Frank Marino, Strange Dreams, Juggernaut
    Palmer, Robert, Sailing Shoes-Hey Julia-Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley
    Pousette Dart Band, Amnesia, Amnesia
    Santana, Europa, Earths Cry Heavens Smile, Moonflower
    Strawbs, Autumn, Hero and Heroine
    Sutherland Brothers & Quiver, (I Don't Want to Love You But) You've Got Me Anyway, Lifeboat
    Travers, Pat Band, Life In London, Puttin It Straight
    Triumvirate, Illusions on A Double Dimple, Illusions on A Double Dimple
    Vinegar Joe, Never Met A Dog, Vinegar Joe
    Tom Waits      
    Montrose, Ronnie, Town Without Pity, Under Fire

Some of those are obscura's, obscurities. I love playing DJ. I did that most of the time at friends houses during the 70's. One of these days we'll have to have a Classics Day over here at my place where I can get at the rest of my collection. The whole top shelf of the far wall is nothing but more obscure classics which means you only got a little taste  :wink: The next two rows are 'common'/commercial rock albums.

That old Quadrafelx TT was pretty cool. It was built like a tank and pretty easy to use once I figured out how to coax the cuing  :lol: That vintage Shure, sure did a great job on Rock. The Inner Sounds sounded pretty darned good too.

Even though I was off axis most of the night, it was perfect. Last night was all about the music and had zip to do with gear. It's (the music) exactly what got me to this point.

I give gatherings like last night a solid  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: out of five  :green: We definitely need to do this more often.

Speaking of which, watch these pages in the coming days. I'll be posting the date for the GAS Christmas in September gathering. I've got to firm things up with Laura. I also need to make sure we don't book it on Chris and Tracy's wedding or RMAF. This one should be  fun since the weather won't play a factor (unless it rains which is minor in comparison). We'll get the grille and tunes going on the back deck, open the woodshop and crank that system up, turn up the tunes on the front deck and have the usual systems playing in all the other rooms. Maybe the girls can come out and play too. We could even have a bonfire and roast weenies and marshmallows  :thumb:

Spkr_Bldr

• Certified Hack
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2008, 10:49 pm »
Haha, you guys are old!  I can count on one hand stuff I've even heard of from your list Scott.  Still, sounds like fun ... I could have sat drunk in redrum and took trippy pictures  :wink:

Let me be the first to throw out a date, how about weekend of Sept 27th?  Me personally, end of Sept is going to be really busy, and I'd love to be able to make it to the party!

... and yes, I am who you think I am, just with a different name now.

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 03:25 am by Spkr_Bldr »

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:43 am »
Haha, you guys are old! 

Hey...we resemble that remark (spoken from the youngest one of the group)  :lol:

Spkr_Bldr

• Certified Hack
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2008, 04:08 am »
Haha, you guys are old! 

Hey...we resemble that remark (spoken from the youngest one of the group)  :lol:

Haha, well my day is coming ... about 3 decades from now  :rotflmao:

Joe_K

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2008, 08:43 pm »
Wow! That's an impressive collection of K-She classics! Could make for a trivia night?
Speaking of classic R & R, I ran across this recently, you may be familiar with it, but I didn't know it was out there.
http://www.wildwoodspringslodge.com/concert/index.html
FYI,
Joe

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2008, 09:40 pm »
Hi Joe,

I know Wildwood well. Been there many times. In fact the pic of Poco on their site is one I shot and gave to Bob (the owner). In fact, that same night I played roadie for the band unloading and carting in gear and merchandise. I've shot a bunch of the concerts out there. Heres a couple of nice pics from Wildwood;

Michael Martin Murphy

Fred Taggett and Paul Bararre of Little Feat

Its a great place to see a concert. The lobby where they play is only about 10 rows deep and seats maybe 150. Tickets are a little pricey but considering the extremely close confines and the fact you can hang out with the band and shoot the breeze afterwards, its worth it, at least to me.

Speaking of KSHE classics, you'll have to join us in late September for the bash (I'll make the 'official' post later this week). We'll be spinning loads of vinyl and (no doubt) dipping deep into my classics collection.  :green:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:54 pm »
Wildwood is a great place to see a show.  Just gotta get there REAL early and get your seat saved - then hang and have a few drinks, play some cards, whatever until dinner starts.

Definitely worth doing.  Maybe we should do a GAS Wildwood night???  That'd be a hoot!

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:30 pm »
Batdorf and Rodney and also Brewer and Shipley are playing out there in September. Anybody?

We'd do Poco but we've seen them like a gozillion times and we're sorta burnt on them.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2008, 12:05 pm »
... and yes, I am who you think I am, just with a different name now.

Ryan Scott was given a 14-day timeout from this site. Two days before the timeout expires, he re-registers with a different name. Since he is an Admin for other sites, he knows what a pain in the arse this kind of behavior is for Admins. Timeout extended to 60 days, any further re-registrations will result in a permanent ban.

Joe_K

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2008, 07:02 pm »
Scott,

I figured you and others here would be familiar with Wildwood. Thanks for the pictures! I was happy to see something like that in the area. Not sure yet if I/we can do a concert this fall or not?

Thinking back in the day of K-She classics, I remember the DJ's bringing in their personal copies of some of those albums to play as the station didn't have a copy! It must have been challenging to find some of them.

Hopefully I can make the September get together, It’ll be good to see everyone again and meet some more members.

Joe

jcrane

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2008, 12:59 am »
Sounds  like fun, hopefully Sept will be laid back enough for me to make it.
Our wedding is not until October so it all depends on the weekend and work!!

Jamie

wedweb

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2008, 01:14 am »
Ok, I did a search and couldn't find the info.  Does anyone know of an online forum type site that lets you put together a list of your albums.  I belong to one that does laserdiscs and another one that does DVD's, HD DVD's and Blue Rays.  Those work great but I couldn't find anything for albums.

Also, I couldn't find the proper method for re-gluing the cover of albums when they peel open/not ripped.  And what can be done to the ripped ones?

Thank you for any info.

I am looking to put together a list of all my albums, cassettes and cd's.

I am also in the process of ripping all my albums to the computer.  Some albums I plan of keeping and others I plan of selling or trading for concert DVD's or HD DVD's. :)

Bo

gixxerific

« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2008, 09:40 pm »
Album night huh, ahh that brings back memeories.

Used to be a avid follower of the K-SHE 7th day and the Sunday Classics show. I may be a bit younger than some of you I would have to say I am MUCH more versatile in my favorite genres from classic rock to techno to gangsat rap to metal to punk rock, no country please.