Digital amps, Distortion, and Negative Feedback

cab

« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2003, 11:33 pm »
To clarify, only the TACT allows true digital input, with a dac in between. This is because the TACT is in effect, a power dac.

Spectron has been saying for several years that they will be offering a digital input option....Truth is, it is simply an internal dac with volume control. I think time will show that one will be better off with their own high quality external dac....

One would think that a digital amp with digital input would be the prefered way to go, but there are several problems with this approach when using a class d topology; read the MUETA site for more details. mueta.org

Happy listening,

kana813

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:35 am »
It's mueta.com not mueta.org.

cab

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2003, 01:44 am »
My apologies for any confusion...

ABEX

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2003, 12:50 pm »
This is an old News Item I saved that people might want to read
==============================

Class D amps turn down heat in portable audio systems

By John Day

EE Times
February 20, 2001 (2:08 p.m. ET)  

snip

All material on this site Copyright © 2003 CMP Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement

theborg

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2003, 09:46 pm »
Please don't copy text from other websites. Not to mention:
All material on this site Copyright © 2003 CMP Media LLC. All rights reserved.
:roll:

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010220S0049

ABEX

« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2003, 11:45 pm »
Sorry Borg!

seti

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2003, 11:35 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to compare the different digital amps scotty mentioned and relative benefits of their approaches to negative feedback I am now more seriously considering the spectron amps over the tripath designs, wondering if there is a big improvement?

cab

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2003, 12:05 am »
I've listened to both the tripath based amp (Bel Canto and a home brew using the tripath chip) and the Spectron. I own the Spectron.

The Spectron's post filter feedback loop is superior to the pre filter variety as used in the Tripath, in my opinion. Sounds better (opinion only), specs are better, and there are no problems with difficult speaker loads.

Enrico

« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2003, 05:03 am »
Quote from: cab
The Spectron's post filter feedback loop is superior to the pre filter variety as used in the Tripath, in my opinion. Sounds better (opinion only), specs are better, and there are no problems with difficult speaker loads.

Hi cab,

can the Spectron drive an  electrostat such as a Soundlab? How about an Apogee Scintilla?

cab

« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2003, 07:01 am »
Hi cab,

can the Spectron drive an electrostat such as a Soundlab? How about an Apogee Scintilla?

Don't know as I never tried. You might try asking Spectron directly. They told me that the amp will drive any speaker, so I would guess the answer is yes....

kana813

« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2003, 08:09 am »
Having owned both the Spectron MII w/ custom remote sensing cables(post feedback) and the Tact M2150(no feedback), the Tact has a more detailed open sound(on the digital inputs), while the MII with more power is more dynamic sounding.