"The Dark Knight"

Bigfish

Re: "The Dark Knight"
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2008, 01:37 pm »
You guys have me very excited about seeing this movie.  I have tickets purchased to see it at 11:00 AM this morning.

Ken

Bigfish

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2008, 09:46 pm »
Guys:

This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time.  My wife and I went to see it at 11:00 AM and we both loved it.  What is really amazing is that this his not her type of movie and yet she is still raving about it.  Don't miss this movie!  Rating 5 out of 5 stars!

Ken

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2008, 09:58 pm »
We knew you'd love it Bigfish, another 5 star rating.

I'll tell you this, I'm like a kid on this one, I can't wait for the next installment.  That is going to be one of the most highly anticipated movies ever.  Usually I say I try to approach these comicbook movies from my youthful perspective and escape into fantasy mode. But his one is so well done that it can appeal to a large crowd, so good it is grown folk material and it need not make any apologies for its origin.

Also the sound quality of this movie is excellent, hard hitting and apropriately atmospheric with a nice moody score.  One bass scene actualy made my pant legs flap, wow.  I've experienced this at home before but never in a movie theater, that's moving some serious air.  The sound was very visceral in my theater, when batman opened his wings it was strong and authoritative, hitting you right in the chest, with a realness like someone opening a bring umbrella next to you. But honestly, they had me at the pants leg flap.

I was speaking to a guy today at a kids party and he said he's already seen it 5 times, now that's a bit much.

Bigfish

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2008, 10:26 pm »
We knew you'd love it Bigfish, another 5 star rating.

I'll tell you this, I'm like a kid on this one, I can't wait for the next installment.  That is going to be one of the most highly anticipated movies ever.  Usually I say I try to approach these comicbook movies from my youthful perspective and escape into fantasy mode. But his one is so well done that it can appeal to a large crowd, so good it is grown folk material and it need not make any apologies for its origin.

Also the sound quality of this movie is excellent, hard hitting and apropriately atmospheric with a nice moody score.  One bass scene actualy made my pant legs flap, wow.  I've experienced this at home before but never in a movie theater, that's moving some serious air.  The sound was very visceral in my theater, when batman opened his wings it was strong and authoritative, hitting you right in the chest, with a realness like someone opening a bring umbrella next to you. But honestly, they had me at the pants leg flap.

I was speaking to a guy today at a kids party and he said he's already seen it 5 times, now that's a bit much.

I just read this movie set a one day record of $64 million in ticket sales.  Yes, it is very special and I may go see it again within the next couple of weeks.

Ken

PMAT

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2008, 11:32 pm »
Word of warning, this is not for kids. I took my 11 year old and shouldn't have. The movie was, however, just flat incredible and it's not my kind of movie. And yes, Nicholson has been eclipsed. Run, don't walk, and go see it. The joker will scare your soul.

AliG

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2008, 02:17 am »
Just finished the movies...the best Batman movie by far :thumb: The queue was ridiculously long, the box office may crack $160millions :o

stlblue

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2008, 04:52 am »
Just saw it. VERY good movie. I didn't think a comic book movie could be that good. Ledger was awesome.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2008, 05:52 am »
Word of warning, this is not for kids. I took my 11 year old and shouldn't have. The movie was, however, just flat incredible and it's not my kind of movie. And yes, Nicholson has been eclipsed. Run, don't walk, and go see it. The joker will scare your soul.
hmmm...  my son, who yust turned 13, loved it...  he did say he needs to see it again, tho, cuz he thinks he may have missed a couple things...  it helped that i could tell him a couple things he didn't get, when we were watching.  but, it "was" a bit complicated.  example:  (anyone who hasn't seen the movie, don't read my next question, if you wanna see it!)   :wink:  does anyone know for sure if that chinese mob guy was on top of the big pile of money the joker ignited?

doug s.

Bigfish

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2008, 11:28 am »

example:  (anyone who hasn't seen the movie, don't read my next question, if you wanna see it!)   :wink:  does anyone know for sure if that chinese mob guy was on top of the big pile of money the joker ignited?

doug s.

Why you don't know for certain if he was on the big pile of money you presume he was because that would have been in keeping with the rest of the movie.  The movie did not show graphic violence, it let your mind picture the results.

Ken

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2008, 06:01 am »
The movie was amazing.

I want to point out who ever the writer was must of been from DarkHorse comics or something, it was a huge notch above every other superhero movie period. The one was not even solely about "Batman" himself, he was not even in the movie as much as some characters it seemed. Jack Nicholson might of been able to do as close to as good of a job, if the one he was in was half as good of a story. The story, events, the fact that people die and get hurt (including Batman) in this one made it realistic and mind blowing good. A true evil Joker made this movie out of this world. This is one of the best movies ever made. The only thing I could complain about it that two face needed an eyelid because eyes dry out eventually, plus it looked a tiny bit cgi.

Heath Ledger, good god that was great. I hope that role did not play a part in his overdose. I heard he had trouble getting out of character.

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2008, 06:31 am »
Just got home from seeing it....WOW!

Heath, you'll be missed, buddy...I knew you were talented, but didn't think you were THAT talented...:(

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2008, 06:35 am »
Has anyone seen the IMAX version yet? :o I intend on doing just that tomorrow for $13.00/ticket. I am stoked and will be wearing my Clever Lil Watch. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

grenamc

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:44 am »
The movie was amazing.

I want to point out who ever the writer was must of been from DarkHorse comics or something, it was a huge notch above every other superhero movie period.

Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan wrote the screenplay.  The Story was written by Christopher Nolan with the aid of David S. Goyer who has been involved in the writing of several comic movies.  Christopher Nolan wrote and directed "Batman Begins", "The Dark Knight", "The Prestige", "Memento" and "Insomnia."  Nolan is one of the most talented writer/directors in the business right now IMO.  This is one of my personal caveats about exactly how much press Ledger is getting.  Heath is bloody brilliant in this role, but the role was written (adapted) and directed by Nolan, who is getting somewhat overlooked for creating the best Joker in film history, as well as the most well balanced Bruce Wayne/Batman I have personally seen.  Simply put, Batman is almost as insane (if not just as insane) as the Joker.  He just uses his insanity toward a different end. 

This does certainly set a new bar for action/comic movies, but I would argue it almost sets a new bar for general movies as well.  It proves a movie can have character development, depth, cinematography to die for, great dialogue, great acting, pacing, direction, story, and still kick ass.  Maybe five years from now, there will be more than one or two movies a year that will sate my appetite for action and brain candy at the same time.  A man can dream, right?  All we need are more Christopher Nolans, and maybe another pair of Coen Brothers. 

-Michael

denjo

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:51 am »
If Heath's portrayal of the Joker was so unanimously good (I have not read or heard a negative comment), do you think he might earn a posthumous award of some kind? Academy Award, Grammy? I think he deserves it, don't you?

navi

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jul 2008, 12:17 pm »
I saw the film yesterday. I thought it was pretty damn good and it didn't feel like 2hrs- But I still like Batman Begins. I think all the batman gadgets in Dark knight.....including that  bike- really bugged me.
I will buy the DVD when it comes out and watch it over and over again like I do with batman begins

NOW BRING BACK SCHUMACHER TO DIRECT AND WRITE THE NEXT BATMAN!!! (just kidding)

AliG

« Reply #35 on: 21 Jul 2008, 02:00 pm »
Has anyone seen the IMAX version yet? :o I intend on doing just that tomorrow for $13.00/ticket. I am stoked and will be wearing my Clever Lil Watch. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

I watched 'Batman Begins" 3 times, once on IMax. To be honest, I don't know what's the big fuss about IMax, you get a big screen, everything looks bigger, but you get part of the picture chopped off, it doesn't have the widescreen aspect ratio. :scratch:

stlblue

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jul 2008, 04:14 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

I watched 'Batman Begins" 3 times, once on IMax. To be honest, I don't know what's the big fuss about IMax, you get a big screen, everything looks bigger, but you get part of the picture chopped off, it doesn't have the widescreen aspect ratio. :scratch:

From what I heard, this was the first movie to use an IMAX camera for about a 1/2 hour of the movie. I saw it on a regular screen, but once the crowds thin out, I'll go see it in IMAX.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:07 am »
Just got back from seeing the 3pm showing of The Dark Knight at IMAX in Hooksett, NH. Got really lucky in that I was there .5hr before the movie and after standing in line 10 minute I got the next to the last ticket for the show. :duh: Fortunately tho I got a dead center seat in the top row, I lucked out twice :green:

I do have to agree with AliG, I wasn't all that impressed with IMAX. Sure the screen is curved and is about twice as long from top to bottom but it's not that much wider than a normal screen.The sound was a real disappointment when compared to a good surround system. There were massive array of speakers on each side of the room and you were engulfed  into the sound but at the expense of the surround effects. The picture tho was crystal clear, as close to HD on the big screen than I've ever seen before. I had expected tho 3D glasses as I had with Disney 3D's Jouney To The Center of The Earth. I would have really liked that 3D depth perception in this movie, would have been an incredible experience.  :drool:

As for the movie,,,,,,, 5 out of 5 stars! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: No doubt about that. Incredible storyline,,, unlike any other Batman movie I'd ever seen. This is a tragic movie, thanks in large part to a totally sick Joker :icon_twisted:(I was not disappointed, Hedger is everything that everyone else is saying about his character :icon_twisted:), lots of unexpected twists in this Batman tale that cries for for another sequel with this storyline. I will see it again probably next week but at a good surround sound theater in Burlington, Vt so I can see if IMAX was really worth $13 verses $6.25. :dunno: One thing I do know is this movie will be the #1 blockbuster for 2008 and I fully  box office records to be broken. 8)

Cheers,
Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:44 am »
That's ashame about the IMAX experiece as that was going to be my 2nd viewing, I thought it would add something to the experience.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:07 am »
That's ashame about the IMAX experiece as that was going to be my 2nd viewing, I thought it would add something to the experience.

Please check it out for yourself, I'd be interested to hear your take. :o For me, I didn't know what to expect but from what I had read about IMAX, it always showed a higher end set of goggles as compared to the 3D glasses so I just expected something different than simply a bigger screen and a larger speaker array(which was pretty impressive actually). It's just that my ears have been adapted to surround since 1990 when I gave up the Drive-ins for a home theater experience. I thrive on that separation of sound that goes with the movie. With IMAX, I was simply engulfed in the sound w/o any real front/back. The dialog even seemed room generated instead of coming from the screen. Maybe it's just me,,,, maybe it's because I was wearing my Clever Lil Watch. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin