Need help lowering the noise floor in my system!

mmakshak

Re: Need help lowering the noise floor in my system!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jul 2008, 03:17 am »
  I have 4 Lessloss power cords plugged into dedicated lines(done by the Audiogon guy.  He uses Porter ports.).  I have no noise.  I plug the digital separately from analog.  I use the Lessloss on my APL Denon 3910 used for the transport, Oritek OMZ DAC(preamp/dac) and Nuforce 8.5 amps.  These are plugged directly into the wall, and no dynamics are lost.  I found an Oneac power conditioner fleshed out the tone, but limited dynamics.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jul 2008, 05:09 am »
It could be that any form of digital reproduction is inherently more influenced by the vagaries of AC power than analog playback. Only when you can supply the digital device with very clean power will it play to maximum potential and all traces of digititus will disappear.  :) Some cases in point would be Red Wine Audio's battery powered amps and the Dodd battery preamp.

-Roy

It seems to be exactly that.....CD/Redbook (possibly any digital) improves to a greater extent with power conditioning that turntables seem to  :roll:

In my case....my CDP is fed 12volt regulated DC (from an outboard Radio Shack power supply).  The two turntables used both have DC motors.  Yet, it's clear, CD playback benefited more so than analog player.

So, it's not a case of comparing AC versus DC motors with different front end formats...they are all DC...yet the CDP clearly benefited to a greater extent.

I don't consider the change with the Audience to be a component level upgrade....but it is a step in the right direction, nonetheless.

Consider my system possibly unique in that I use tube monblocks...that were original PA amps...so they have no filtration.  A 30 year old preamp (that sound great), that I believe has no internal conditioning and not much capacitance and a very cheap (but very decent sounding CDP) that was built for a low price point....and had it's switching power supply replaced by a Radio Shack regulated linear one (with much improvement).

Those of you that have higher level components, with designer attempts at stiff power supplies and or choke regulated or actively filtered...may find the additional of the Audience to offer no improvement.  But, for me, it is clearly a nice change of sound for the better.

There - just wanted to state that in case someone found no benefit from it and bought it based on my rave here  :wink:

Regards, John

Quiet Earth

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2008, 02:53 am »
I am running my cd player, preamp and monoblock amps directly into outlet on a dedicated line with Lowes hospital grade outlets. I currently have no form of power conditioning and am generally very happy with the sound but hoping to find a way to not screw up dynamics while lowering the noise floor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I really like what balanced AC power does for my system. Right now I'm using a "BPT" balanced AC transformer and it does exactly what you're asking for. It lowers the noise floor without altering the dynamics or adding a sonic signature to the sound. In short, things just get quieter. I've had similarly good results with two different Equi=tech balanced power transformers. I am a true believer and would never do without.

Balanced AC power transformers are a little expensive, but totally worth the cost to me. If you have a large, AC power hungry set of monoblocks then it could really get expensive I guess. My entire system only consumes about 350 AC watts, so it's no big deal for me. My 1800VA BPT model has more than enough juice, and I had plenty of room when I was using a Son of Q Jr., which is only about 1000VA max. Again, there was no dynamic range constriction. Just an eery quiet background.

You can get some information about it here : http://www.equitech.com/faq/faq.html , and check out the BPT site too http://www.b-p-t.com/ .

Mariusz

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2008, 03:44 am »
After my inquiry about alternatives in regards to battery conversion or battery as a source of power if you will and somewhat limited feedback I did some homework on my own. I might have found the easy and not to expensive solution but it has to be tried first to see how and if it is going to work. If it does ........I will use it to power all my digital sources and hopefully gain on the performance and most of all noise floor . I am very exited and so is my audiophile friend that shoots in the same direction and has the same goals. We agreed to split the costs , so if it doesn't work it is going to be a half lost. :)

I am also a believer in clean power as being beneficial . Its positive effect on the front end components is undeniable. It is not easy or cheap but absolutely worth an effort . In my opinion as well as others that spoke before me, digital sources and preamplifiers are those components which performance will be most audioable if fead with quality, clean power.

Cheers
Mariusz