PMC TLE1 or Rel Strata 5 opinions

gingellr

PMC TLE1 or Rel Strata 5 opinions
« on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:32 pm »
Hi,

I have a 6B SST driving PMC OB1's and a CB6 in a relativley small room.

My current sub is a Rel Strata 5, i am considering changing this to a PMC TLE1 due to it having a bryston amp built in and would appear to be a good match for the OB1's

I only will be using the sub for 5.1 sound and not for music though.

So do you think this is worth the change? or even would it be better not having a sub and just using the ob1 as it is being driven from a more powerful bryston than what is in the sub?

Thanks

Richard

niels

Re: PMC TLE1 or Rel Strata 5 opinions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2008, 10:31 pm »
I am not familiar with the PMC sub, but if you look for the most fun factor in your cinema I think an SVS would be a wise buy.
But, please be aware that you have a classic REL subwoofer, which is no longer produced! REL has american owners now, and they dont care much for audiophiles, and stereo. They would like to have a piece of the home cinema market and has given up the subwoofers for the average audiophile. The two largest models are still produced though.
REL Strata and Storm models wil be highly sought after in the market now, and prices are likely to rise because these are very very good subs, so I really dont know what you should do.....
I really think you ought to try the Strata for music also, but thats just me.....

gingellr

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2008, 11:08 pm »
Thanks for that, very interesting reply. I did not know REL had been taken over.

Maybe i should just keep the strata then as i am not unhappy with it, just thought the tle1 would possibly match better not just in sound but also in looks.

I did used to use it for music when i had a different amp and speakers and it was pretty good, but since getting the Bryston and the OB1's now if anything my system airs on the side of too much bass in my small lounge.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2008, 11:18 pm »
Thanks for the info as well.  I use 2 Rel Storm IIIs for stereo and distributed ".1," a Q150 on the center and a Strata III on the rears.  I have not followed the line.  I'm happy with the ones I have.