paypal question

SET Man

Re: paypal question
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:51 am »
.... i always pay w/paypal using a credit card - offers protection from sellers who have "screwed  up"...   8)

doug s.

Hey!

This might need it own thread but this is something that I might have to deal with.

But the question is... how will go about doing this? Do you contact the CC company to do this or PayPal?

I recently bought something from a dealer and paid via PayPal. Of course he tooted his horn about his service and etc. So, I got the thing from him That was 2 months ago. The thing start to have some problem a few weeks ago. So, I send him an email about 3 weeks ago but never got anything back. So, I send him again today and I will see if he will respond to this problem.

Now since it had been 2 months now. Can I have the CC or PayPal company do anything about this?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
you can try to do both.  but my experience has been better w/credit card companies.  better hurry, tho there's a time limit.  (likely w/both, as well...)

doug s.

Hey!

I just email the dealer today and will see if he will respond tomorrow.

I'm a bit confuse on this PayPal and CC company thing. Since the seller don't actually deal and charged me directly with the CC company but through PayPal I don't know how the CC company will handle this?

Take care,

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:56 am »
I just made a credit card transaction this weekend and had a cash balance available. Paypal took the cash balance and the balance of the transaction went on my credit card. I don't normally even have a cash balance so this was the first time this situation had ever come up. :dunno: I've been with Paypal for 8 years now and have had zero issues with them. :D

Cheers,
Robin

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jul 2008, 01:06 am »
It's happened a couple times for me. Paypal leaves my balance alone and removes money from my checking account. I just checked their site and could not find any reference to this action. Seems like they'd prefer to leave the balance alone so they can keep my funds.

smerlas

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2008, 01:48 am »
The second you verify with a bank account it gets dicey.  For years my paypal account was linked to my AMEX card and never had an issue with payments.

Once I added my bank account, this paypal account balance and 5 days for funds to clear BS started.  I have watched transactions clear my credit union and then log-on to paypal to wait 2 to 3 days before it posts.  I have selected my AMEX as the primary funding source and the bank account just helps with verification status.  If I had it to do over I would have left well enough alone and only had it tied to my AMEX.

Auction purchases are well protected by paypal, private transactions, like purchases here on Audiogon from other members are not well protected.  For problems with these transactions your CC company is best.  I only purchase on-line with (paypal - AMEX) because of their policy of standing behind their cardholder.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2008, 01:58 am »
Hey!

I just email the dealer today and will see if he will respond tomorrow.

I'm a bit confuse on this PayPal and CC company thing. Since the seller don't actually deal and charged me directly with the CC company but through PayPal I don't know how the CC company will handle this?

Take care,
the credit card company will handle it like any other transaction...

doug s.

kyrill

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2008, 05:19 pm »
i use Paypal for many years always linked only to my Mastercard.
i thought the advantage is that only once a month i pay all the "open invoices"
through my bank account linked to my credit card.

Then I added my bank account as well to paypal and noticed paypal withdraw the money within 2-3 days directly from my bank account. So i lost this "one month buffer" (at its best) i had via the credit card company.
I didn't like that and the next payment via paypal i choose the older payment procedure ( via credit card) and immediately PayPal warned me that in thàt case i had to pay extra interest. I never knew all this years that Paypal was integrating interest in what it credited me. When bypassing my credit card and let Paypal credit  directly my bank account i dont have this interest percentage. WHat the interest rate is is a mystery to me, could not find any info about it. But knowing "large international banking companies" it would not be small..

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2008, 05:26 pm »
i use Paypal for many years always linked only to my Mastercard.
i thought the advantage is that only once a month i pay all the "open invoices"
through my bank account linked to my credit card.

Then I added my bank account as well to paypal and noticed paypal withdraw the money within 2-3 days directly from my bank account. So i lost this "one month buffer" (at its best) i had via the credit card company.
I didn't like that and the next payment via paypal i choose the older payment procedure ( via credit card) and immediately PayPal warned me that in thàt case i had to pay extra interest. I never knew all this years that Paypal was integrating interest in what it credited me. When bypassing my credit card and let Paypal credit  directly my bank account i dont have this interest percentage. WHat the interest rate is is a mystery to me, could not find any info about it. But knowing "large international banking companies" it would not be small..

I've never heard of such a thing. :scratch: Paypal has my checking account number but not my saving account number. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but I've never encountered anything like you've described. Along with my checking account I have a Visa and a Mastercard on file and I use all 3 depending on the transaction at hand. :D

Cheers,
Robin

kyrill

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2008, 05:37 pm »
my English is not that well ;)
what is the difference between checking account and saving account?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2008, 08:11 pm »
my English is not that well ;)
what is the difference between checking account and saving account?

There shouldn't be any difference actually, basically a checking account is for spending money and a savings account is for saving money. A savings account will give you a higher interest rate, a checking account can cost you money if only for the checks themselves. I usually will use my checking account for small paypal purchases while the larger ones are done via credit card. Never once has paypal charged me for using a credit card. Maybe you've confused the situation or maybe someone else could chime in if this situation sounds familiar? :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

mjosef

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2008, 10:21 pm »
Well Kyrill is in Holland...so maybe over there the PayPal T&C is different.

kyrill

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2008, 08:49 am »
well I did as if i wanted tp pay to my dear wife and when was asked which payment, i choosed
NOT my normal back account but credit card: and the message was (1st in Dutch  then translated via Babel)
betalingsbevestiging
   Veilige transactie

Als u betaalt via uw bankrekening, geniet u de beste bescherming en beveiliging die PayPal te bieden heeft. Bovendien profiteert u van deze voordelen:

* Geen kosten - op betalingen via uw bankrekening zijn geen rentekosten van toepassing
===========
payment affirmative
   Safe transaction
If you pay by means of your bank account, you enjoy the best protection and guard which has PayPal to offer. Moreover you profit of these advantages:
   * No costs - to payments by means of your bank account applies none interest charges

So it actually says when i do NOT use my banc account i will have interest charges.

kyrill

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jul 2008, 02:56 pm »
Would Holland be the only country with extra interest charges by Paypal when you dont use bank account but credit card as source?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #32 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:05 pm »
Probably not but Holland is the only place where you can do this legally.  aa

http://www.harrier.nl/WhatsHashing.htm  :wink: 

It's not what you think.  :nono:

kyrill

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2008, 03:11 pm »
 aa
we are sooo liberal :)