Need SD Speaker Recommendation

pjg66

Re: Need SD Speaker Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2008, 02:35 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks to Jim for his nice welcome.  You've given me a lot to think about, and I already feel a sense of adventure about this.

To answer Jim's question, the only reason for the 3 to 4 feel above the floor requirement is to get the axis of the drivers approximately at ear level (when I lie in bed my head is about 34-35 inches above the floor).  There is nothing currently on the floor at the proposed speaker locations, so speakers could be placed on the floor there.  But unless they are pretty tall, or slanted upward, or on stands, they would be firing below ear level at a big, bulky bed.

Actually, on the 12 foot wall opposite the bed the speakers could be placed anywhere from directly in the corners to 2-3 feet inward, so the distance between speakers could be anything from 6 to 12 feet.  In my original post, I thought 6 feet was best.  Again, I see the problem is getting the driver axis at ear level, but maybe that is not necessary.  Perhaps small floor-standing horns placed near the corners and slanted slightly upward would be a solution.

Anyway, you've got me thinking about ways to fit SD speakers in this room, and pointed me toward some speakers to consider.  Any further thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks for the help.

pjg66

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2008, 02:07 pm »

I only used the Japanese OFC wires made by Nippon Mining Co.. The wires are coaxial and silver plated with inner and outer sealed Teflon. This is the best wire we have used sofar to build amplifier, preamplifier, interconnects and speaker cables.

You got to use either pure OFC or OCC wires. They will make big different sonically.

Tan

Hi Tan,

Where can we buy some of this wire?

I am in Australia but will buy from anywhere and get things shipped to the USA if needed.

Thanks,

Steve

tanchiro58

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:12 pm »
Where can we buy some of this wire?

Steve,

I really do not know where friend of mine bought this kind of wire since he just gave to me and said that I just try this in modifying my speakers. You might try google it.

Good luck,
Tan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:49 pm »
Steve,

I'd use some of this OCC UniCrystal wire from VH Audio. http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html

-Roy

ghpicard

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2008, 07:50 pm »
The room  is 13.5 x 12 x 8.  The drivers must be 3 to 4 feet above the floor, which would seem to indicate stand-mounted monitors.  The speakers could be no more that one foot from the wall behind them and 2 feet from the sidewalls. The listening distance (ear to speaker) is about 11 feet and the speakers would be about 6 feet apart.

I have on hand a Bryston BP25 preamp and McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe Edition amp that could be used, but realize that 120wpc solid-state may not be a good match with some SD's.  If needed, I would be willing to consider getting a small integrated tube amp to match the speakers.  Source components would be a Classe CDP-3 CD player and a McIntosh MR74 FM tuner.  I listen to all kinds of music (classical, rock, blues, jazz, and latin), but do not listen at hugely loud volumes.

Having neither the facilities nor the talent for woodworking, I would need assembled systems, although a kit that required no more than glue and a screwdriver may be within my abilities.  I would prefer to spend no more than $1K for a pair of speakers, but could stretch that a bit.

If you want to stretch a little on the DIY side, you can always make a BIB (Bigger Is Better) enclosure, and if your woodworking skills are not enough (not much is needed), they are simple enough for any woodworking shop (or fellow enthusiast) to make them real quick.
The BIB is a TQWT/Horn hybrid that within the right conditions, don't even need a sub-woofer, like many SD designs do.

Here's a link to a site that displays several builds and a couple calculators to add.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Gastón