SP1.7 (2-channel digital) vs BCD-1

KeithA

SP1.7 (2-channel digital) vs BCD-1
« on: 18 Jun 2008, 09:17 pm »
Has anyone here compared the BCD-1 to running a transport into the SP1.7/SP2 digital connection for 2-channel?

If so, what's the main differences or are they pretty close?

Keith

MOZ

Re: SP1.7 (2-channel digital) vs BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:40 am »
Already done this morning...  :wink:
Well, what to say... my system limitations are more apparent as i have a THX system, so, i wish i had some serious/hifi speakers  :oops: here, but anyway, i get my system to work at his best with this BCD-1 !

There drive/transport is quite good, maybe the TAG DVD32R is a bit more accurate but, anyway, the analog part of the Bryston CD is just  :duh: amazing !!!!!!!!
I'm gonna use it on analog, it is more precise, sounds of tongues are more defined and well, the sound stage seems to be more controled too ! It gets "fuzzy" if you compare the digital vs analog of the player.
I just love it (and i ordered one already, James you've got me one more time  :green:).

I'll come back later, i have to try it more (and more)... but it's a winner for me, i get what i am expecting from a Bryston product : some great music !
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2008, 09:58 am by MOZ »

MOZ

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:54 am »
 :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2008, 10:16 am »
... I'm gonna use it on analog, it is more precise, sounds of tongues are more defined and well, the sound stage seems to be more controled too ! It gets "fuzzy" if you compare the digital vs analog of the player...

Hi Moz

Thanks for the quick review which I am sure will interest many.

I am unclear wht you mean when you suggested that the digital (as compared with the analog) is "fuzzy". When you use the BCD-1 in digital mode surely the "sound" you get or receive will depend on the DAC in which the digital out feeds, am I right? What DAC did you use? If what you are hearing is "fuzzy" via an external DAC, then the reason for the fuzziness could be due to the quality of the external DAC. There is another possibility: what you might be implying is that the digital out from the BCD-1 is not very accurate, which accounts for the fuzziness. But surely the digital out feeding an external DAC is the same digital out that feeds the BCD-1's internal DAC!

Best Regards
Dennis

MOZ

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2008, 02:29 pm »
Hi,

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue... not easy to get into "subjective impressions"...
I'm using the BCD-1 with my SP2...
The 2ch analog outs beat easily the internal DACs of the SP2.
When comparing the two of them on the same CD track, the analog seems more define, more precise.
Bass is tighter (a bit messy when handled by the SP2 DACs), more controled.
The sound stage is very big and so homogenic even if analytic.

I got the BCD-1 this morning for testing, so i need more time, but anyway... the sound is really "living" with this player.
Well, for a 1st try it's a win...

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:15 am »
Moz
I think one of the reasons which might account for the BCD-1's superior sound when compared with SP2 is the fact that the BCD-1 DAC reclocks and resamples the digital input whereas the SP2 does not. The B100 DAC is quite similar to the BCD-1 DAC; Larry Greenhill in his review of the B100 SST in Stereophile highlights this point in his review.

Best Regards
Dennis

MOZ

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2008, 12:49 pm »
Yep, looks like this is the answer... and that's what i can hear...
This CD player is just wonderful, i love it.

I just have to find some "nice speakers" to go with it now because THX speakers (i have KEF system) is not the best sounding on 2ch :oops: