Reynaud vs. PMC

João

Reynaud vs. PMC
« on: 13 Jun 2008, 01:53 pm »
Hi,

I´m a pretty happy Jean Marie Reynaud Twin Signature owner, paired with Blue Circle NSCS Int Amp. They´re stand mount transmission line and are able to give me very good bass, not so deep but very well presented. These speakers seem very musical in my opinion. Bryston´s owners are used to PMCs, no? Does anyone can tell how differently transmission line Reynauds and transmissionline PMCs sound?

Thanks,

João

eril

Re: Reynaud vs. PMC
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2008, 09:46 pm »
I am a Reynaud Fan. I currently have Evo 3's with a Bryston B100.
I've heard various PMC speakers - but never in direct comparison in any system - they are clear but lack the warmth and emotion of Reynaud.
By no meand did I think they were bad - they just lacked that immediacy and seductiveness that I have heard from any Reynauds.
My tastes are acoustic music and female vocals - there Reynaud rules at their price..
I could imagine PMC doing better with Rock.
I know others thought Reynauds a bit soft and opaque, and preferred the PMC.
So it's a matter of taste - what are your preferences?

Best Wishes
Eril

João

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2008, 10:31 am »
Hi, Eril,

Sorry I could not answer before.

I agree with you about the warmth and emotion of Reynaud. They´re terrific. I really like. They´re beautiful with female voices and I really like what my BlueCircle+Reynaud combo offers me in Jazz. And even with Rock I think they play well. I do not think they´re soft but they really seem a bit opaque and not so clear as I think I´d like. Some say I´d better use other cables in my system instead of Blue Circle ones and I would get this clear that I´m looking for. But I didn´t have the chance to experiment yet. So the only thing I´m missing is a bit more clear presentation. And considering someone once told me that PMC could play musically well under Blue Circle neutral to warm presentation, I´m always searching information about them.

I mostly listen to brasilian popular music (MPB), samba, bossa nova, jazz, brasilian pop/rock and also cuban music and Bob Marley. Sometimes the fantastic Jimi Hendrix.

Cheers,

João

eril

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2008, 11:21 am »
Hi Joao

I also sometimes wonder about upgrading for a more "defined" sound - but I believe the PMC is too remote a view on the music -to me it really lacks what I like about Reynaud.
I understand the newer Reynauds - the Duet as replacement for the Twins and the Emeraude for my Evolutions - are designed to attend to our wishes.
I suggest you contact Bob Neill at Amherst Audio - he is the U.S. importer for Reynaud and a dealer for BlueCircle..
www.amherstaudio.com
There is some info on the Duets on his site.
He is very helpful with cables and honest with advice.
Bob tells me the new Duets are so much clearer than the Twins, but retain the Reynaud "magic".

I am in New Zealand and know Bob only by email - he has always been great to deal with, even though he knows I can't buy anything from him.

All the Best
Eril

João

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2008, 11:48 am »
Eril,

I know Bob; he sold me the Twins as there´s no Reynaud importer here in Brasil. He´s very very helpful as the information he gives in www.amherstaudio.com. He told me he prefers Twins with Audio Note Lexus cables. I belive him. As soon as possible, for example, I´ll try maple platforms to my equipments, as he suggested in Blue Circle forum. But, as I said, I´m very curious about PMC. But I have no doubt I´d go blind with Emeraudes if they were in my budget :)

João

eril

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2008, 10:11 pm »
Joao

I believe there is going to be an upgraded SE version of the Duets and probably the Euterpe.
These are said to be noticeably better than the old Trente (and my Evo's).
There is also now an upgraded Cantabile - no announcement - the Euterpe was so good they had to upgrade the Cantabile. as people in France preferred the Euterpe in direct comparisons. The Duet/Euterpe now has a silk dome tweeter - much clearer than the old "plastic" one.

I believe they will both be much better for my tastes than any of the PMC's I have heard which are "neutral" sounding - and a bit boring if you understand - most speakers tend to be boring or hyped in the extremes after Reynauds.
Let me know what you do as I may need to move house and I'll get a smaller speaker - at this time I believe the Euterpe SE will meet my needs.

Best Wishes
Eril

João

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2008, 08:21 pm »
Hi, Eril,

In some months I´ll visit Paris and obviously I´ll look for a dealer where I can listen to the Euterpe :) According to the information you gave me and according to the comments I´ve been reading from Bob, they seem an excellent choice, maybe a bargain. I´ll let you know if I listen to them.

Regards,

João