Brian- what product will you be showing at CES??

Dunedain

« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2003, 10:28 pm »
Those steel tariffs you refer to were put in place to counter the government subsidies
(read: tax payer checks given to a company) that some foreign governments were giving
to their steel companies so they could undercut U.S. steel companies.  These foreign
steel companies got away with this for years.

This, of course, was completely unfair to U.S steel companies, thus the tariffs
were fully justified.

As far as the subject in general, I will simply say this.  There is *no* substitute for
a nation having a large industrial base with many high-skill high-paying jobs.
The folks here can decide for themselves what they think of all of this.

In any case, this is starting to get way off topic.  So I'll shall simply refer to
the last paragraph in my previous post and leave it at that.  It was a fun discussion, though.  :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2003, 10:39 pm »
I agree with Tim, the arguments for "buying american" are relatively straightforward and simple, while the arguments for unfettered free trade are more complex and deal a lot with secondary/indirect affects.  That's why I linked to the 2 books that I did, that particular author has the very rare ability to take a very complex topic and present it very lucidly, and makes you feel smarter in the process for being able to understand it so well (in another field, Richard Dawkins has this same ability).  "The Law" is only $3 and is less than 100 pages, with no big words anywhere, an easy read, and far better information than can be presented in a post on a message board.  Highly recommended, it is the best case I have seen presented for free trade.  And even if you are against free trade (the "buy american people), you should still read it, so you can come prepared against the best that the free trade people have to say.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Forget China
« Reply #42 on: 1 Nov 2003, 05:03 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Quote from: Dunedain
Well, with Brian having just proudly stated that 95% of
every VMPS speaker is made right here in the U.S., that seems unlikely...

Then that would make Monday's meeting irrelevant.  One of the things they'll discuss is improving the cabinetry options of the VMPS line, which most of us (from a rather recent poll conducted here) would view as a positive.....a tremendous positive from my viewpoint.  :)

The Shifter/Cheney business model would be a fantastic one.  It would benefit a lot of audiophiles who are looking for maximum quality products at great prices.

Don't get mad at me for suggesting to Brian that he investigate Asian production.  Sorry, but its my dream to ramp production way up & become Brian's customer service guy & take over the loudspeaker world.  Anyway, I gots a customer in Singapore.  We have done everying except kidnap & brainwash Brian to convince him to at least consider Asian production, even partial.  He just won't bite on it.  And you know what, I have nothing but respect for him for maintaining production here as much as possible.  Brian is a renaissance man.  He really gets on my nerves at times, but basically is a loveable little curmudgeon.  If you saw the affection & care & love this guy has for his beautiful daughter it would make you cry.