subwoofers as stands?

keenween

subwoofers as stands?
« on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:27 am »
Could stereo subwoofers be used as stands for a pair of Sapphires? If so, what is the best way to implement?

NewBuyer

Re: subwoofers as stands?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2008, 02:18 am »
I've often wondered this too.

Sounds like a great product idea for you Mike. Something that sits on the sub, and hopefully provides a good amount of adjustable tilt-back for the speakers as well (if using bookshelf designs, etc).

Maybe something like the adjustable Quik Lok BS-313, but of course much prettier? :)

(You can click on the photo)

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2008, 02:40 pm »
I own the Jaguars with LFM modules whcih are essentially speakers sitting on powered subs. But keep in mind these were designed to function in this manner. I am not sure what would happend if speaker / sub combinations that were not designed to function like this were used in this manner

keenween

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2008, 03:57 pm »
I own the Jaguars with LFM modules whcih are essentially speakers sitting on powered subs. But keep in mind these were designed to function in this manner. I am not sure what would happend if speaker / sub combinations that were not designed to function like this were used in this manner

Do the jaguars just sit on top, or are they connected somehow? I thought using mopads or another isolation product might work, but I've also seen pictures somewhere of spikes implemented between the cabinets.

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2008, 05:08 pm »
Issues of mounting/coupling aside (quit snickering,) the issue of getting the monitor sections at the right height relative to seating position can't be overlooked. If your seating is low, this might not be an issue?? I suppose one could devise some sort of angled cradle as well that would sit on top of the sub to deal with this.

keenween

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2008, 05:30 pm »
Issues of mounting/coupling aside (quit snickering,) the issue of getting the monitor sections at the right height relative to seating position can't be overlooked. If your seating is low, this might not be an issue?? I suppose one could devise some sort of angled cradle as well that would sit on top of the sub to deal with this.

I'm guessing my ear level varies between 36-40 inches. The top of my sub is at 24, which is a pretty common height for speaker stands.

I think the mopads provide angles of 0, +/-4, and +/-8, and maybe 3" of height... I don't think I'd want to angle for my set-up.

Joe_K

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2008, 03:03 pm »
Budyog did this with Panorama's. I would think something similar could be done with Sapphire XLS?

See:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31863.0   and scroll down.

and / or

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13646/IMGP7077.jpg

FYI,
Joe

P.S. How do you insert pictures on this forum?

Eric

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2008, 05:35 pm »

Do the jaguars just sit on top, or are they connected somehow? I thought using mopads or another isolation product might work, but I've also seen pictures somewhere of spikes implemented between the cabinets.

The jags have small isolation feet that sit on the speaker. I "bypassed" these by using audio points between the 2

keenween

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2008, 07:17 pm »
Thanks for the info Joe and Eric.

I did some searching and this product looks like it might have potential as well, and they have a model which is well sized for the XLs:

www.primacoustic.com/recoil-home.htm

KS

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2008, 09:18 pm »

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2008, 09:24 pm »
Quite a few people have used stereo subs under our monitors in place of stands. As in all things audio, there are tradeoffs:

The benefits include:
 - Saves floor space
 - Saves the cost of the stands
 - Makes sub integration as easy as possible . . . sort of like having a super three-way

Concerns:
 -  The best placement for the monitors is not always the best placement for the subs, you lose this flexibility
 - The vibrations from the sub cabinet can be transferred into the monitor cabinets. The effects are subtle, but can be picked up by critical listeners. Isolation products can reduce and maybe even eliminate this problem.
 - The monitors should be placed so the fronts are flush with the subs to eliminate the possibility of diffraction off the top of the subs.

The ideal way would be to build a sturdy stand that straddles the sub and does not actually touch it. With the right angles and geometry it could be pretty attractive as well.

NewBuyer

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2008, 03:49 am »
...The ideal way would be to build a sturdy stand that straddles the sub and does not actually touch it. With the right angles and geometry it could be pretty attractive as well.

I would be greatly interested in such a product. Any interest in designing/providing this as an accessory, in the future Mike?  :?:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2008, 06:08 pm »

I would be greatly interested in such a product. Any interest in designing/providing this as an accessory, in the future Mike?  :?:

Good question. I'd say there's a possibility, but not a probability. First, we seem to sell about equal amounts of Titan XL and Force XL for this purpose, so we'd need to do two different models or make it adjustable which has advantages but adds to complexity and cost. To make it feasible and affordable we'd need to build in quantity and I don't know if those up-front costs can be justified at present. For now, seems like a perfect DIY sort of thing. We'll certainly keep it in mind.