Roompack reveille

Daniel

Roompack reveille
« on: 30 Oct 2003, 03:09 am »
After lurking on AC for a good long time, seeking wisdom on non-oversampling DACs, I bought myself a roompack.  I had no concept of room treatments when I started out and would have laughed at the thought.  I mean, I have a wife, for crying out loud.  But I read witchdoctor's raves about the 8th Nerve response controllers and was intrigued.  After all, it makes sense.  The perfect sound leaving your speakers goes into your room before it enters your ears.

So I bought a roompack.  For the money I figured the experiment could be a complete loss and I still wouldn't feel too bad after unloading the stuff on Audiogon, should it come to that.  So I installed the roompack that I picked up from PhilNYC of http://www.sonicspirits.com, who is a very mellow dude with excellent ears.  I put in the corners, echoes and seams in the obvious places and settled into my chair to listen.  I had played a series of favorite cuts before putting everything up so I could pick up on subtleties.  It wasn't necessary.  

No sooner did I crank up the stereo at my usual listening volume than I leaped up to turn it down for fear of enraging my wife.  (She has been very understanding about my new installation, by the way.  Nary a complaint.)  It sounded MUCH louder.  She was sitting in the next room though and didn't notice a difference.  Yowza!  I sat down to listen again.  I had expected that the imaging would sharpen up and hoped that the soundstage would deepen.  I didn't get that.  Instead, the images of individual musicians were more substantial, weighty, particularly at lower frequencies.  Bass was clearly boosted but remained quick and nicely textured.  Very cool.  No doubt I could work more magic with a couple of floor standers and a frame but, hey, I'm married.  Now for a better front end....

WilliamL

Roompack reveille
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2003, 08:40 pm »
Daniel.

Its was nice to see that you took the plunge at got your RoomPack from Phil.

I am so happy that you were able to get your room sounding better! I promise to get over to your place when time permits.

Thanks for your review and thanks to Phil M. for good dealer support.

Cheers,
Bill

Carlman

Roompack reveille
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2003, 01:14 pm »
I agree that the 8th Nerve product worked particularly well at pulling out lower frequency detail.  I noticed mid-bass that I'd never heard before after installing a roompack.  Excellent product and service!

PhilNYC

great!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2003, 08:46 pm »
Daniel,

Really great that the Roompack has worked out so well for you (not that there was any doubt!)  :D

Bill...it's easy to provide good dealer support when the products are so good...  :D

Phil

mcrespo71

Roompack reveille
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2003, 11:44 pm »
Hmmmmm.  Maybe I need to look into this room pack thing............  I have some foam up but that's about it.  What does the room pack consist of?

WilliamL

Roompack reveille
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:23 am »
Mr. Crespo,

Feel free to give us a ring at Eighth Nerve (NYC or Nashville) on the Roompack if you have questions. Otherwise, Phil seems to be gaining knowledge of placement and usage of our products--no black magic, just a few simple rules of placement will help you make big strides in your room.

(You can reach me on my NYC number at 718-606-2563! I am headed to Japan this weekend, so I may not be able to get back to you until my return.)

Cheers,
Bill

PhilNYC

Roompack reveille
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2003, 01:29 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Hmmmmm.  Maybe I need to look into this room pack thing............  I have some foam up but that's about it.  What does the room pack consist of?

A Roompack is a set of 10 pieces from 8th Nerve's room response productline which would be good to cover a basic room.  

If you want, I can bring one over to the NYC gathering this weekend...!

mcrespo71

Roompack reveille
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2003, 12:39 am »
^^That's tempting, Phil, but I'm not sure I have enough wall space for all 10 pieces. You can get a feeling for my room this Saturday, but you will see that I use most available wall space in the apartment with bookshelves, etc.^^