The New Exodus Audio 18" Coax driver

Kevin Haskins

The New Exodus Audio 18" Coax driver
« on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:00 am »
Here it is...  an EX-6.5" midwoofer mounted on the dust-cap of the Maelstrom-X.   :lol:

I'm just kidding by the way.   I was looking for something to show for scale, these woofers all look the same when you are taking pictures and its hard to communicate the size. 

We use the EX-6.5 in the Kepler loudspeaker.   On it's own, it is a respectable bass producer giving good output down into the low 30s in-room.    At VSAC2008, in a 20' x 25' room people kept looking around for the subwoofer (there was none).   

Some more Maelstrom-X eye-candy.

The little guy doesn't reach the top of the motor!   

Bottoms up...

The pole vent looks small but this is a 3" VC,  with 33mm x-max, 40mm x-mech (both one-way) and the new AlCu twin shorting ring technology. 

In stock and shipping!    Works great in 4-7 cubic foot sealed, resonant systems (we have a passive radiator design coming) 7-9 cubic feet.     

Voodoo Rufus

Re: The New Exodus Audio 18" Coax driver
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:42 am »
Wow.....:jawdrop:

How heavy is that beasty?

The 7" driver really puts some scale into the pics. Purpose achieved!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:40 am »
 :weights: :bowdown: :notworthy:

There is NO replacement for displacement. This will be my hometheater woofer.

NEO Dan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2008, 05:41 am »
Kevin,
the anticipation on this has been making me :drool:, but that lil' spidey looks a might closer than 40mm off the deck.
How big is that spider and what's the clearance?

aa I've got a pair of boxes of 6'³ @~10.25Hz tune built & on stand by, can't hardly wait for final params.

klh

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2008, 06:30 am »
Kevin...

Damn :D. I love the photo with the EX-6.5 on the dust cap.  Crazy stuff!

NEO...

Nice enclosure! What are the dimensions? A pair should sound pretty amazing.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:19 pm »
Very funny, Kevin!

Man, it looks awesome!

:thumb:

fackamato

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:21 pm »
This thing is sick.  :o

NEO Dan

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:51 pm »
klh,
24" x 21" x 36" hwd

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:04 pm »
Wow.....:jawdrop:

How heavy is that beasty?

The 7" driver really puts some scale into the pics. Purpose achieved!

The raw driver is about 49lbs.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:11 pm »
Kevin,
the anticipation on this has been making me :drool:, but that lil' spidey looks a might closer than 40mm off the deck.

aa I've got a pair of boxes of 6'³ @~10.25Hz tune built & on stand by, can't hardly wait for final params.

Hey... I have the CAD dimensions.   I know how far off the deck it is....  :)   The spider gets to about 34-35 linear, then it starts to stiffen significantly, helping prevent mechanical damage due to overdriving.     Our goal was to make it such that you don't bottom easily.    The PR has a little more clearance simply because you don't have a triple joint slapping into the front plate and the spider can dip down below the opening in the basket.    The spider in the PR has larger corrugations to allow more linear travel because you don't have to worry about the former slapping the backplate in a PR.   

What are the dims on that port?   That looks killer.

NEO Dan

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2008, 05:12 pm »
3- 6"w x 1.75"h/ ~=6.4"id

Big enough to keep the velocity down 12-15m/s @96V drive depending on what SSF Q and FX I go with.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2008, 10:10 pm »
Kevin,

Final parameters are on the site.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93&products_id=681

NEO Dan

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2008, 11:42 pm »
Where's the beef, um B.
That's an impressive t-yolk you got there, By the looks of the vent it's super thick.
My eyeball FEA :roll: says it's not saturated, so it must be the magnets.
So if the vendor is only going to give you 2/3rds of the B, you should only have to pay 2/3rds the price on the driver. aa I think I'd like to co-sponsor the "first annual Kane a cheapskate Asian OEM vendor day". 

Looks like someone opted to soften it up a bit instead of adding weight, sensible choice.

The numbers look to still need a little bit of adjustment.
here's what I see in reverse calculation:

For the record, I am sympathizing with you more so than busting your balls

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:01 am »
It isn't off much, it has been about +/-5%.   The BL has been hovering around 20.   The very first unit we built it was 19.6, the second came in higher around 21.      The difference is probably due to how they are running the magnetizer and measurement differences.    I'm using a different measurement setup than they are using too so there could be some measurement differences thrown in the mix.

Its certainly nothing to get excited about.    Look at the box designs and there is very little difference in the actual output in a given box design.     

macnewma

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2008, 04:51 pm »
My box models still look great.  I was already shooting for very large enclosures.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:37 pm »
My box models still look great.  I was already shooting for very large enclosures.

It changes very little.   Even if you look at the smaller sealed boxes it isn't significant.    If you are focused on text-book alignments it will throw you for a loop.    The reality is, at these frequencies, the output is dominated by the room interactions so a 1dB difference at 25Hz doesn't make a meaningful difference.   

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2008, 03:16 pm by Kevin Haskins »