Symphonic/Melodic/Progressive - Metal.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Symphonic/Melodic/Progressive - Metal.
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2008, 11:49 pm »
Well, its metal... not sure about symphonic though  :green:

mjosef

« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2008, 01:28 am »
Just received these two today...

Cradle of Filth, Nymphetamine (Enhanced, Special Edition)

JoshK

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2008, 01:49 am »
Martin, I'm impressed by your eclecticism.  Somehow I didn't take you for the death metal type.

mjosef

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2008, 02:39 am »
 :lol:
Actually Josh, I am not a metal head...but, I dig certain sectors of the darkest metal quadrant. If the tracks are all the same speed, I most likely won't dig it. I like when tracks starts off softly and builds to a massive vortex of energy and then subsides and takes you some place else...or any variation of that sequence.
That's the rush I get when listening to my favorite avant garde(jazz?) musical explorations.
These Deluxe albums each include a DVD disc that's quite a trip in their own way.

JoshK

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jul 2008, 04:40 pm »
Ayreon - Dreammaker Part I

I recently acquired this disc based on this thread (I have most of these suggestions queued up on my trading sites).  The music is nice and soothing kinda like a lot of modern Pink Floyd.  The female vocalist has a very good voice, the male vocalist kinda sucks, not terrible but reminds me of the lead singer from Front Line Assembly (industrial).   I am not into industrial anymore partially because the vocals were always terrible.

However, the thing I didn't like about the Ayreon album is the theme of the music/lyrics.   I kept finding myself laughing at the sillyness of it.  I think these guys were D&D players in their youth (or maybe still).  Theme songs for Lord of the Rings?

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #45 on: 31 Jul 2008, 11:18 pm »
Some very interesting recommendations in this thread. I'll be spending some money soon, I'm sure.  :)

I haven't seen anyone mention 10 Years yet. I know they are considered a Tool copycat, but for some reason I prefer them. Division was pretty good and The Autumn Effect is even better, IMO.

simoon

« Reply #46 on: 2 Aug 2008, 04:11 am »
Here's some more recommendations;

Age of Nemesis - Great Hungarian prog-metal band from the Dream Theater school with some nice influences of their native music.

Andromeda - Swedish prog-metal with some unique touches. While their 1st is good (Extension of a Wish), they reach their stride with their 2nd, II = I. The 2nd half of this CD is pure prog-metal bliss!

Anti-Depressive Delivery - From Norway. This is a unique one and kind hard to classify. They are an interesting combination of prog-metal, prog-rock and '70's hard rock (Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Atomic Rooster come to mind), Retro and modern at the same time.

Canvas Solaris - From USA. Started as a 3 piece, recently added keys. Instrumental technical-metal (or fusion-metal) with chops to spare. Some may consider them a little on the "wankery" side of things, so your mileage may vary.

Spheric Universe Experience - France. Great prog-metal in the Dream Theater vain, but not a clone. The latest, Anima, was one of the best releases of '07.

Matraz - Chile. Very obscure band that, based on quality, should have been better known. 2 great CD's before they broke up. Great female vocals (in Spanish) and a world class guitarist (Claudio Cordero) are only 2 of the pleasures in this band. They are definitely more on the prog side of prog-metal.

JoshK

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2008, 12:41 am »
Came across this website today. 

http://www.insideout.de/

It is the record label of a lot of the groups mentioned in this thread.  There are a lot more here to peruse. 

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #48 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:56 am »
The furry rules to metal...
Not bad!!!  :thumb:

Imperial

JoshK

« Reply #49 on: 16 Aug 2008, 08:19 pm »
i've never seen that show before....i just wasted the last hour and a half watching that hilarious show on youtube.  my stomach hurts a bit too much now.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 16 Aug 2008, 08:44 pm »
Not a fan of the (heavy metal) genre but I listen to college radio so I get a listen sometimes.  Of the bands I've heard, quite a few in the last decade, Black Flag gets it on.   In the progressive category, Porcupine Tree is noteworthy, IMO.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #51 on: 22 Aug 2008, 01:35 pm »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you can go to Pandora radio (www.pandora.com), type in Kamelot and it will play only tunes they think sound like Kamelot.  You'll find tons of new bands that way!

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 22 Aug 2008, 09:25 pm »
Symphonic gothic metal?? Here ya go:

http://www.symphonicmetalband.com/
http://www.myspace.com/aesmadaeva

Their second album, The Eros of Frigid Beauty, is one I often use for demo at shows (track 4)

If Porcupine Tree can be considered Metal, then so can Thunderbolt Pagoda

myspace.com/thunderboltpagoda

We are playing at 7th St. Entry Friday the 29th, as part of the Earl Root (the godfather of metal in Minnesota) Memorial.

mjosef

« Reply #53 on: 23 Aug 2008, 03:08 am »
Symphonic gothic metal?? Here ya go:

http://www.symphonicmetalband.com/
http://www.myspace.com/aesmadaeva

Their second album, The Eros of Frigid Beauty, is one I often use for demo at shows (track 4)

If Porcupine Tree can be considered Metal, then so can Thunderbolt Pagoda

myspace.com/thunderboltpagoda

We are playing at 7th St. Entry Friday the 29th, as part of the Earl Root (the godfather of metal in Minnesota) Memorial.

Aesmadaeva...very nice, I like that sound  :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #54 on: 26 Aug 2008, 04:19 am »
I'm not sure anyone is checking out any of my recommendations, but I'm having fun none the less!

As you can tell I'm a HUGE fan of progressive music of all types; metal, rock, fusion, avant-garde, etc.

Here's a couple more for anyone interested.

Prymary (Los Angeles)- "The Tragedy of Innocence"  . After releasing a quite competent but somewhat generic self titled private CD, they came out of nowhere with the incredible "The Tragedy..."! This is a concept based on the sexual abuse the drummer's (Chris Quirarte) wife went through as a young girl and the chaos it created in her later life. Not an easy listen for sure, made even more more poignant by narration by the woman herself, but an incredible work despite (or because of) the subject matter. Musically it is quite dark and heavy with top notch musicianship, great melodies, tons of real emotion and a nice level of complexity. Like a cross between Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation but still original.

Electrocution 250 - "Electric Cartoon Music From Hell" This one is pure a joy of instrumental progressive metal! A complete opposite of the above recommendation, this one has a real sense of humor. It sounds like prog-metal Bugs Bunny cartoon music. But not trite in any way. The level of musicianship is freakish, but not a shred fest. The keyboard player, Lale Larson is a particular standout. He's a musician with a truly open mind! He's classically trained and plays his own and other composer's avant-garde pieces, world class fusion, progressive rock and metal, and even standards (Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Ain't Bisbehaven', Moments Notice & others) on some solo CD's.

JoshK

« Reply #55 on: 26 Aug 2008, 04:05 pm »
I'm not sure anyone is checking out any of my recommendations, but I'm having fun none the less!

I've picked up a number of your suggestions and have some of the others in my "queue". 

simoon

« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:08 pm »

I've picked up a number of your suggestions and have some of the others in my "queue". 

Cool!

What have you purchased? Are my descriptions accurate?

JoshK

« Reply #57 on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:17 pm »
Cool!
What have you purchased? Are my descriptions accurate?

Aghora, Zero Hour, Age of Nemisis, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X.  I find your descriptions to be pretty spot on.

mjosef

« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2008, 06:22 am »

Krypteria, Bloodangel's cry

Epica, the divine conspiracy

Got these two today...On first listen I find Epica closer to that Symphonic sound and I like it better than Krypteria. I saw mention of After Forever and Nightwish in reviews of these, and here too, and will be looking to check those out next.