Candela is in the house!

jn316

Candela is in the house!
« on: 8 Jun 2008, 08:37 pm »
More to come, including pics, but lets just say I'm liking the Candela so far!
Thanks, Klaus!

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Candela is in the house!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2008, 09:17 pm »
jn

Definitely add pics, and your impressions.  I've got a Candela and 2 Mono extreme SE's on the way!  They should have shipped this past Wednesday.

Congrats and good listening. :)

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2008, 09:35 pm »
Have a cold one on me Gary! :beer:

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2008, 09:47 pm »
It's really a great pre for $1200 give or take and works really well with the Mono's.  You definitely need to roll a few tubes though.  I have the CBS Hytrons and some RCA clear tops that are especially nice :)

golfugh

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2008, 11:36 pm »
TomS

You have a tube guy that you use?

Thanks
Mark

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:25 am »
TomS

You have a tube guy that you use?

Thanks
Mark

I've had good luck with both of these-

Andy has decent inventory, thorough testing, and is very knowledgeable.  You pay a bit more but there are no surprises.
http://www.vintagetubeservices.com/

I've bought NOS and new construction KT-88 and 6550's from these guys with no problems.
http://thetubestore.com/

There are lots of way more experienced tube hunters than me on AC here, so you might search  for a few more recommendations from those guys.  Good luck!

Tom

golfugh

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:29 am »
Tom, thanks
Mark

golfugh

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:30 am »
OK, I have to ask how do you like the Emerald Physics CS-2's?

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:47 am »
OK, I have to ask how do you like the Emerald Physics CS-2's?
I've posted a fair amount about them already in Audio Central, so prefer not to say more in Klaus' circle (he sells really nice speakers too!) other than I still like them quite a lot.  I'm more focused on just listening to music these days, as it's less about fussing with the gear now.  Good stuff.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2008, 01:08 am »
It's really a great pre for $1200 give or take and works really well with the Mono's.  You definitely need to roll a few tubes though.  I have the CBS Hytrons and some RCA clear tops that are especially nice :)

Congratulations on the Candela.  I received mine last June and I have really enjoyed it.  I have rolled a few different tubes with my favorites so far being Amperex Bugle Boys.  Others I have tried are Telefunkens and Mullards with a pair of RCA Cleartops on deck.  Experiment with different tubes and find the brand that sounds best to you.  I would add that the RCA Cleartops seem to have been a favorite of many of the Candela owners this past year.

Ken

jn316

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:56 am »
OK. Here are some pics. This is my 2-ch room and will NOT be the final resting place for the Odyssey gear. It will go in the soon to be built HT in the basement driving AV123 LS9's.
The AV123 Minis will have the Melody I880 driving them (on the left rack)...and doing it very well I might add! The P-Tech gear will stay with the Minis too.

I'm working on some cable supports, Pete. The 2x4's are temporary.
 :D
Oh, and the amp is a new Dual Mono. Yeah, I know, I'll be upgrading to the Mono Extreme SE "glass ceiling" super-duper cyro-treated helium-filled amps next!
 aa

jn316

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:17 am »

Yep, will be rolling them soon. If you have some spares that are collecting dust, I'll take them off your hands...you can even leave the dust on them!  8)

jn316

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:18 am »
Have a cold one on me Gary! :beer:

There's been some beverages consumed already!

jn316

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:21 am »
Congratulations on the Candela.  I received mine last June and I have really enjoyed it.  I have rolled a few different tubes with my favorites so far being Amperex Bugle Boys.  Others I have tried are Telefunkens and Mullards with a pair of RCA Cleartops on deck.  Experiment with different tubes and find the brand that sounds best to you.  I would add that the RCA Cleartops seem to have been a favorite of many of the Candela owners this past year.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I'll look into those tubes!

Gary

laserboi

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:29 am »
Amazing pictures  :drool:   .

I'm hoping to have my candela this week and I'm ready to set up my gear on my newly finished DIY Flexi table.  How do you take such good pictures indoors.  Whenever I use my Sony digital camera everything looks blurry, I just can't seem to figure it out  :scratch: .

jn316

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2008, 05:35 am »
Amazing pictures  :drool:   .

I'm hoping to have my candela this week and I'm ready to set up my gear on my newly finished DIY Flexi table.  How do you take such good pictures indoors.  Whenever I use my Sony digital camera everything looks blurry, I just can't seem to figure it out  :scratch: .

Thanks! The Candela's a nice addition.
Concerning pics, other than needing to clean my lens, I just frame and shoot w/ my Canon SD800IS. I try it w/ and w/o flash and that's about it. Maybe it's the image stabilization ("IS") that helps? It was actually much harder figuring out how to POST the pics, than take them!  :lol:

golfugh

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2008, 09:13 am »
Looks great jn :drool:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:38 pm »
Hello JN,

Very nice setup as seen in the pictures...enjoy the Candela and the rest of the equipment  :thumb:

Thanks,
Alex

jn316

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2008, 03:58 pm »
Thank YOU, Alex. I'm guessing you're the one that built this piece of art. Nice job!

Gary