Lump charcoal database

PhilNYC

Re: Lump coal database
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:50 pm »
IME oak tends to burn very hot and fast, while fruit woods last longer and doesn't burn as hot.

I have a small ceramic Japanese yakitori grill and use "Binchotan" charcoal...apparently made of oak.  It is a mother to light (takes about an hour), burns *really* hot, and interesting produces almost zero smoke.

http://www.whitecharcoal.com/

Bigfish

Re: Lump charcoal database
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:56 pm »
I read Phil's post and wanted to add a comment about lighting lump charcoal.  When I first purchased the Grill Dome and began using lump I initially purchased/used fire starters.  One day I was reading the on-line forum on the Grill Dome web site and a person recommended using a propane torch to light the lump.  Well, I tried it and it worked great.  The best news is I have lite many fires and have yet to use a bottle of propane which represents a healthy savings versus the fire starters plus the propane method is faster.

Ken

IronLion

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:03 pm »
I have heard propane is a good way to go.  Personally I use an electronic fire starter, its basically a heating coil that you stick into the middle of the lump for about 10 minutes and then you can close the lid, open the vents and in about 15-20 minutes it will be at full heat.  If you are in a rush you can use a fan to speed the process up.  Its a pretty easy and straightforward way to go if you want to avoid propane bottles.   

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:24 pm »
To light charcoal I put the lump into a chimney starter, drizzle some vegetable oil on a sheet of newspaper, stuff it under and light that. It works well, but does generate a fair bit of smoke. The propane torch idea sounds interesting, especially if it reduces smoke output.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:13 pm »
Does anyone know of any hickory based lump charcoal? I've been using soaked hickory chips added to standard charcoal. Years ago, when I was in my teens, the family stopped at Jerry's Steakhouse outside of Sandusky, Ohio, on our way back from a stay at Cedar Point, and they made a great point of featuring the fact that they used hickory to grill their steaks. Some 40+ years later, the memory of those steaks still reside with me as the best steaks I've ever had. IMHO nothing beats hickory.

PhilNYC

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2008, 05:34 pm »
I read Phil's post and wanted to add a comment about lighting lump charcoal.  When I first purchased the Grill Dome and began using lump I initially purchased/used fire starters.  One day I was reading the on-line forum on the Grill Dome web site and a person recommended using a propane torch to light the lump.  Well, I tried it and it worked great.  The best news is I have lite many fires and have yet to use a bottle of propane which represents a healthy savings versus the fire starters plus the propane method is faster.

Ken

Regarding propane starters, do they impart any kind of taste/smell/flavor into the charcoal?  I only ask because, as an occassional cigarette smoker, I find that I really dislike the taste of cigarettes lit using a Zip lighter...

aerius

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2008, 05:40 pm »
If you are in a rush you can use a fan to speed the process up.  Its a pretty easy and straightforward way to go if you want to avoid propane bottles.   

If you're in a rush, you break out a bucket of liquid oxygen.

http://www.bkinzel.de/misc/ghg/index.html

The grill will be ready to go in seconds. 8)