Anyone care to share their thougths on the VDC•SB?

SatoriGFX

I've got a Squeezebox and I have a CEC TL-51X belt driven transport.  Both are hooked up to my VDA•2 w/VAC•1.  I have used various cables on each, both optical and coax.  At the moment I prefer the sound of the CEC but I do like the convenience of the Squeezebox.

I am wondering what a VDC•SB might do to the sound of my Squeezebox, keeping in mind I only use the digital outputs and not the analog outputs.  Are we talking a minor imporvement or taking the Squeezebox to a whole other level?

Thanks.

SatoriGFX

Re: Anyone care to share their thougths on the VDC•SB?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:04 pm »
bump

biz97

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm »
I use a VDC-SB and it is hooked up in the same configuration you are using: SB3 -> VDA2/VAC1.  I found an improvement using the PSU.  I felt that the sound sounded less harsh and fuller.  Overall I feel it has a cleaner sound.  I actually compared a stock SB3 w/ stock PSU on one input and a stock SB3 with the VDC-SB on another input as well.  Hope that helps.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2008, 04:16 pm »
I have the VDS for the Squeezebox 3. I am also using the digital out on the SB3 to a Stello DA100 Signature. I believe the Stello DA100 needs good upstream components to perform at its best. The Stello doesnt reclock the incoming information and I believe suffers from incoming jitter. With the addition of the CIAudio power supply, the soundstage tightened up and images became more stable and defined. It was a nice change. Id say it was subtle but noticeable. If your DAC reclocks, perhaps this effect would not be as great??? Definitely worth the money.

Mike
MOd: This is my first CIAudio product and the build quality is incredible. In case you wanted to know..

SatoriGFX

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:32 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I was always under the impression that NOS DAC's, and the VDA-2 in particular, was not particularly sensetive to jitter issues.  But since my Squeezebox, CEC and Oppo DVD player all sound different when feeding my VDA-2 I guess that's not the case.  The Squeezebox has lower jitter than many expensive transports but my CEC is known to have very low jitter.  I assume that explains most of the differences I am hearing

It sounds like the VDC•SB will make a subtle improvement but not really allow my Squeezebox to dethrone my CEC.

I guess I have to decide now if I am going to accept the Squeezebox as is, get some sort of anti-jitter device to use between it and the VDA-2, look at buying a new DAC that reclocks or simply forget the Squeezebox and use my CEC only.  I really do not want to use both.  The effort required to rip my cd's and maintain my music library on my computer is only worth it if the Squeezebox sounds as good as I want it to.  If I have to keep the CEC for the "best" sound, why bother keeping the Squeezebox.

Thanks again.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2008, 07:16 pm »
I have the VDS for the Squeezebox 3. I am also using the digital out on the SB3 to a Stello DA100 Signature. I believe the Stello DA100 needs good upstream components to perform at its best. The Stello doesnt reclock the incoming information and I believe suffers from incoming jitter. With the addition of the CIAudio power supply, the soundstage tightened up and images became more stable and defined. It was a nice change. Id say it was subtle but noticeable. If your DAC reclocks, perhaps this effect would not be as great??? Definitely worth the money.

Mike
MOd: This is my first CIAudio product and the build quality is incredible. In case you wanted to know..

Mike nailed it on the head. I'm using the VDC-SB with a Trends UD-10.1 USB transport and I found Mike's description to mirror mine when comparing the CI power supply to the Trends optional battery pak,, which to me was a shock. How can an AC power supply outperform batteries? Don't know, don't care but it does and that's the bottomline. :D For me in this application, it was well worth the money to make my computer audio all it can be. Highly recommended!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin