James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 -- News?
« Reply #80 on: 9 Aug 2008, 11:18 am »
Follow up from Jeff

"Hi James,

The BDA-1 sounds fantastic on my system.  Thanks for making such a cool product.  I posted the following to the slimdevices forum tonight.......

I spent the afternoon paying a lot of music on my new BDA-1 using the transporter to drive it.

I am a bit suprised that to my ears the BDA-1 sounds signficantly better then the transporter (better match for my preamp?). From what most people say on this forum the transporter is kind of the end all killer D/A cost busting converter. I thought that two units would have been a lot closer in terms of sound quality in my system.

I wasn't really dissatisfied with the transporters sound, until now.... The BDA-1 this afternoon just seemed to be a lot more involving, has a lot more grove and sounded less fake then the transporter. It sounds like the transporter is doing everything right, but somehow it seems like it is acting vs being the real thing. The BDA-1 with the transporter driving it comes closer in my system to the real thing in terms of the music..

The two toghther are worth every penny :)

thanks
Jeff"
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2008, 02:06 pm by James Tanner »

NewBuyer

« Reply #81 on: 10 Aug 2008, 01:39 am »
...I also note that Bryston carefully describes the attention that has been put into the BDA-1 power supply. Does this mean that the BDA-1 is designed to perform its best, without needing a separate power filtration device? :?:

Hi Newbuyer,

...All our power supplies are designed to provide good regulation and filtration but I was refering to the fact that the analog and digital power supplies are treated as totally independent circuits. We have found that any contamination between the digital and analog circuits creates noise and distortion. Even to the point that if a digital trace, signal or power, is routed a layer above or below an analog trace it can induce noise via capacitive coupling...

Thanks for the reply and info James! :)  In my question above, I just meant the question generally, rather than specifically about its separate digital/analog supply internals (but thanks for that helpful info too).

(Sorry to be redundant): I believe you are saying then, that under normal operating circumstances, the BDA-1 is designed/able to work at its very best without need for any separate power filtration device - is this correct? :?:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:16 am »
Hi Newbuyer,

Ok sorry - I understand the question now. The power supply is as good as can be done given the current technology but if you can prevent spikes or noise from ever getting to the unit it is always helpful.

I use a small 5 amp Torus in front of all my source gear for protection and noise filtering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 23 Aug 2008, 08:46 pm »
Hi All,

Report from Hong Kong:

MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT – First Customer in Hong Kong gets BDA-1

Sent: Sat 8/23/2008 8:16 AM
Subject: The availability of Bryston BDA-1 DAC in Hong Kong
Dear Bryston,

"Please be informed that I have purchased and received the captioned product today.  As mentioned by the showroom manager of the Hong Kong Agent, Mr. Simon Yim, I am fully proud of being the first user and owner of this amazing product in Hong Kong.

You may aware that I have full confidence in the performance of your company's products in the Hi-Fi arena, but I never tried auditioning the product before placing an order for it.  For this time, the performance of this equipment proves my decision or choice is right again.  After hooking up my system with the new DAC, the sound so coming up is very vivid, musical, analytical and extremely enjoyable.

I wish to comment and highlight that the success factors of this equipment are truly relied on by the following features: (i) the impedance matching of all digital inputs; (2) re-clocking of the input digital signals; and, (iii) the isolation transformer for other digital inputs.  And of course, the circuit design, the choice of DAC chip and the Class-A amplification circuit are also the essences for building this successful product.

It's time for me to pick up all my CD collection to enjoy listening them one by one again. Please excuse me to say goodbye to you at this point and kindly please express my sincere thanks to all of your colleagues who they have been taking part in designing and hand-making this wonderful piece of equipment for customers/users like me.   

With warmest regards,
K.P. YAM,
Hong Kong."

BradJudy

« Reply #84 on: 23 Aug 2008, 11:37 pm »
I have been told that the USB outputs on the Macs and PC's are limited to 48k/16 bit

Yeah, I don't believe that's true. My understanding of this is a bit weak, but I have looked at the USB 2.0 specification download, and it seems if you refer to endpoint synchronization characteristics for both source and sink devices on pages 72+ of the usb_20.pdf documentation, you can see the maximum data rates are determined by several factors and are by no means limited to 16 bits or 48 KHz.

I have come across (on the internet), devices that load their own Windows drivers to take care of the basic maximum native Windows USB data rate of 16 bit / 48KHz, but I've also seen devices such as the Benchmark USB DAC1 that claim they offer USB input support up to 96 kHz sample rates at word lengths up to 24 bits, while still using the basic native Windows USB audio drivers. This seems appealing to me as a plug and play DAC without messing with Windows. I would think that most of the usage with respect to the USB ports for external DACs would come from Windows computer driven streaming music.

Presently I use my laptop for streaming audio out to a standard 16 bit / 48 KHz bit USB soundcard, and then digital out from that soundcard to my Bryston SP2 processor.. I can't use an optical SPDIF output from the laptop, because it only has an HDMI output from the laptop (since it's brand new). HDMI interfaces on laptops will become more and more prevalent as time passes, and so USB will become (I would think) the output of choice for streaming digital music to feed an external DAC (or USB soundcard).

If I ever purchased an external DAC to feed USB streaming audio (to increase the quality of my present situation), I would hope it had the capability of greater than 16 bit / 48 KHz transfer. It seems to me that the ability to pump that up to 24 bit / 96 KHz is certainly possible, but maybe I'm wrong.......  :scratch:

This is a pretty good summary.  Some pro-audio oriented USB devices support input and output at 24/96, but use their own drivers (EMU 0404 USB, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Tascam, Edirol, etc).  The Benchmark is still the only DAC with a USB input I have seen do 24/96 with native drivers, although they changed their materials from saying "only" to "first", which implies that someone else out there has done it as well. 

Given the mention here of higher resolution download availability, I would hope the BDA-1 could support 24/96 via USB, but it sounds like the USB input on the BDA-1 is limited to 16/44(48) like most DACs with a USB input?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 24 Aug 2008, 02:12 am »
Hi,

Yes the USB input on the BDA-1 is 48K/16 bit and is an I2S input. (The BDA-1 will synchronously upsample it to 192/24 if you wish). The BDA-1 will do NATIVE resolutions from 44.1K -192K. So if you have a 44, 48, 88, or 96K, signal it does not upsample it (unless you want it to) but passes it through untouched. If you have a 176K or 192K then there is no upsampling.

It's a bit of a moving target at the moment but we assume that higher-res USB chips will become available as higher-res downloads gain more favour in the future and we can retrofit the USB chip at that time. (Actually I am having a tough time finding a laptop that has a sound card capable of 96/24 let alone 192/24) I have been told that MAC claims they can do 192/24 on the firewire output but so far I have not been able to get above 96/24.

Most of the quality soundcards output on COAX and they are capable of 192/24 which is the choice I would make if I wanted a high-res computer playback system. Also I see wireless streaming products increasing their hi-res capability as we move forward which also uses a COAX input. Some Pro soundcards like the Lynx Studio AES 16e PCI express offer 192/24bit output to an AES EBU input which is available on the BDA-1.

Also we may find that HDMI may subplant USB as we move forward for high-res audio playback --- who knows?

james

PS -rumors are the next generation of iPods will have a digital out - though I expect it will be limited to 44.1/16.

« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 03:25 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:36 pm »
Hi All,

Here we go:

IDF 2008: "SuperSpeed" USB 3.0 Demoed At IDF
August 22, 2008 by Humphrey Cheung

San Francisco (CA) - We’re drowning  in data and sometimes USB 2.0 just isn’t fast enough to move all those bits around. At the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco, we were shown prototype USB Universal Serial Bus 3.0 boards and cables that were transferring at more than 307 MB per second.

BradJudy

« Reply #87 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:34 pm »
USB 3.0 isn't needed for 24/96 via USB - USB 2.0 bandwidth is more than enough to handle two channels of 24/96.  What you need is for the standards for native USB audio device drivers and the hardware designed for them to be expanded to address the higher rates.  It's possible that companies will use USB 3.0 as an opportune time to make these changes - only time will tell. 

Yes, an on-board, PCI or PCI-e sound card could output 24/96 (or higher) via another medium.  Using their own driver like the USB or firewire devices that can output at these rates.  I don't know that they offer any better solution than the external pro-audio cards (which can also be used on notebooks). 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #88 on: 26 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm »

james,

the bda-1's  usb input is gold plated, too?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #89 on: 27 Aug 2008, 02:00 pm »

james,

the bda-1's  usb input is gold plated, too?

al.

Hi Alex,

Yes the USB input is gold plated as well on the BDA-1 External DAC.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 14 Sep 2009, 07:46 pm »
Hi James,

Just took delivery of a BDA-1. Running it with a 4BSST, BP20/MPS-2, Sony XA9000ES as transport, Duntech speakers.

This thing is frigg'in unbelievable. The difference in quality is worth every penny and many more..

Congrats on another staggering product. What's next a turntable?

Regards
Tony

Tony Mason PhD
Australia

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BDA-1 -- News and Reviews
« Reply #91 on: 15 Sep 2009, 09:36 pm »
Sent: Tue 9/15/2009 4:00 PM

"James,

Congratulations!

I receive Stereophile and I did notice the large number of Bryston components they have reviewed and highly recommend.  It seems the audiophile world is taking more notice of Bryston of late.  Maybe they are loosing their past, seemingly allergic reaction to professional electronic gear.

You may recall from a prior email that I was so impressed with the performance of my brand new Bryston BP-26MC preamp, that I purchased your new, separate DAC.  I have had it about two weeks now, and once again your designers have outdone themselves!

Most surprisingly, I have found that on very complex music, the CD layer of a DSD/CD Hybrid disc can sound better through the Bryston DAC than the DSD layer does!

For an example, the absolutely explosive finale of Mahler's 8th Symphony (Symphony of a Thousand) on the San FRancisco Symphony's brand new release sounds very good playing DSD through the converter in my Sony XA5400ES SACD player.

But taking the coaxial SPDIF out put of the same player to the Bryston and switching to the CD layer, you can hear greater detail, more distinct separation of the seemingly millions of instruments, singers, and organ in the dramatic end of this work, than you can with the Sony DSD.  Also, they seemingly work together better as a whole.  The CD layer takes me more realistically into the hall played through your DAC.  (As I live in San Francisco, I frequently am in the hall with the symphony, including having heard them perform this very piece last year when it was recorded there.)

The point is that I have never heard 44.1/16 PCM sound that good from any DAC!"

Bob Sykes

« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BDA-1 -- News and Reviews
« Reply #92 on: 15 Sep 2009, 11:33 pm »
?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #93 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:43 pm »
It's cool to see these reports from the field. They mean more to me than professional reviews.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #94 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:27 am »
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 7:06 PM
To: mch@whitbyaudiovideo.com
Subject: Some observations on the Bryston DAC

MCH:
Some observations on the new DAC:

It is VERY cable sensitive. I had just about changed my point of view around to the smoke and mirrors camp regarding high end cables, but with the BDA-1 the differences in cables are not only obvious ? but unfortunately also seem to bear out the old adage that expensive is better. Putting the Argentum digital cable from Mike Jr. into the mix and replacing the XLR cable from Audioquest produced immediate and enormous improvement. But playing around with a few sets of cables from the DAC to the BP26 produced some interesting results:

4th place -Audioquest King Cobras ? very nice bottom end and solid mids but the mid highs and high ranges seem compressed ? held back ? not muddy but like water behind the sluicegate of a dam ? you know there is a lot of stuff behind the wall trying to get out. The compression gets annoying after awhile and you can almost feel the pressure in your ears. I have never noticed this on this cable before, but then I have been using it with the McIntosh MR77 and FM does not tax the extremes.

3rd place - Audioquest Pythons (these were pretty high end about 9 years ago) - very very nice bottom end ? good mids and none of the compression in the mid-highs. Clean but just a tiny touch of ? not Tizz ? but brashness. Startling on good CD?s just mildly disconcerting on really bad ones. This is my cable of choice for the Accuphase T-100 and from time to time I switch it into the turntable mix.

2nd place - Cardas Neutral Reference. Pretty much absolute truth. Wonderful bottom end ? the best of the bunch ? bass in spades ? clean and tight. Startlingly good on some recordings. On Eddie Grant?s Electric Avenue caught the subtleties of the opening riff better than any other cable. Clean and open. Could definitely live with this cable on the BDA-1. I use the Neutral Reference cables in the analogue mix as the cables from the BP1.5 Phono Preamp to the BP26.

1st place - Nordost SPM (the pink ones)? these were the priciest cables of the bunch and overall were the cables that I preferred and will use with the DAC. The bottom end is not as good as the Python or the Neutral Ref but what is there is solid and clean. The midranges and mid highs are beautiful with this wire ? airy and translucent. You can hear down into the music another complete level from the Neutral Reference and the separation of instruments, voices etc is stunning. The highs are as clean and pure as a Boy Scout and there is air and presence here that is quite wonderful to behold. On Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, you can hear all of the weirdness that goes into the mix better than with any other cable. This is the cable for classical for sure as the soundstage is huge and airy. There is a particularly nice version of Debussy?s La Mer by Pierre Boulez and the Cleveland Orchestra from 1995 that I have always loved. It was like hearing it for the first time on this DAC. The beginning of the piece is very quiet  and the DAC captures all of the tiny subtleties. When the initial crescendo comes the transitions are lightning fast and timbrally correct.  After breaking in for a day or so it got even better. When I used the Densen CD on it it improved still further. I think that this DAC will take the best of the best as far as cabling is concerned and show the results? one could literally use the best of the best.

Before this DAC, there was no doubt in my mind that I preferred the sound of the Rega P9/RB1000/Dynavector 17III combo through the Bryston BP1.5 to anything on CD. Playing, for example Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on CD and then on LP had me going for the LP every time. Of course, the Rega is a wonderfully musical table ? and while certainly not the pinnacle of the food chain, the retail on the table, arm, cart and BP1.5 is close to $10,000.00 so one expects it to be good. I like the P9 better than any table I have had before including the Linn/Lingo and the VPI Scoutmaster because it plays music not sounds and it makes playing records fun. You just spin the vinyl  you do not have to evacuate air, place weights on the edge, screw on clamps or any of the other nonsense that makes playing LPs work not fun. Damn the Rega is a fun table and a fine table. I could never put up with the crap necessary to play vinyl on some of the Porsche priced tables out there.

With the BDA-1 the choice is not so clear. The Rega still beguiles and sounds wonderful. With the SPM cables on the BDA-1 the Rega setup has better bottom end (just wonderful bass lines) and the mids and highs are a tossup. With the Neutral Ref cables on the BDA-1 the bottom end is a tossup. But the BDA-1 looks deeper into the music than the Rega quite a bit of the time and the P9, whilst very very quiet (wasn?t that Elmer Fudd?s line?) is not quite as transparent as the new DAC. Both have dynamics and timbral accuracy to burn and both sound wonderful. I happen to just LOVE the old James Last stuff from the late ?60s early ?70s but the CD versions of these compendia have always seemed a touch harsh and closed in compared with the LP?s. The new DAC goes a long way toward making the CD?s extremely pleasurable ? but here ? on the older recordings which were transferred to CD in the first run of things when a lot of CD?s sounded brittle and screechy ? the P9 combo steps out front. James Lasts Beach Party from 1967 on the album is just delightful on the Rega. On the CD ? even with the new DAC it has gone from bearable to enjoyable. This of course is a limitation of the medium and not the DAC ? but it shows you that a good analogue turntable front end has its uses. The ABBA stuff from the ?80s sounds thin and awful on CD quite often but on the LPs it is really very enjoyable. On new, well recorded CD?s the BDA-1 is so good ? different but so good that it is virtually a tie as to which I will listen to.

This is the FIRST time that any digital front end has equaled the P9. (well, in my humble opinion, enyway)

Thank Mike Jr. for making the Argentum cable available to us. It is a wonderful piece of goods ? beautifully made. The construction quality puts Nordost to shame and is right up there with the very high end Audioquest, XLO and Gutwire products. This is a very satisfying product in that it sounds wonderful and is just a pleasure to handle and to look at. It is built like a Breitling watch. Very impressive. When my bank account has fully digested the 4BSST-2 and the DAC I would like to try some of Jr.?s high end stuff as a possible ultimate cable on the BDA-1.

?Thanks to you Michael for making the acquisition of these pieces enjoyable and affordable. You know I appreciate your efforts and all the kindness you have shown to me over the 10 years we have known one another. I may forget to SAY it sometimes but I never forget to REMEMBER it.

?There ? you now have an e-mail to read before you go to bed?

Allen (Al) Purdy
Allen Purdy Associates Business Services
Resiwaste Performance Systems
17 Turner Drive, Uxbridge, ON L9P 1V4  CANADA
Toronto / GTA : 416.428.8725  Uxbridge/ Scugog : 905.852.2345  Fax : 905.852.6867
E-Mail: allen@apassociates.ca  allenpurdyassociates@gmail.com

nl12048

« Reply #95 on: 29 Sep 2009, 09:02 am »
James

Any news on a separate transport?

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #96 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:23 am »
James

Any news on a separate transport?

Mark

Hi mark,

Nothing in the works yet.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:47 pm »
Memo: To All Bryston Customers
Subject: BDA-1 DAC Review in Italian magazine 'SUONO'

September 2009

Hi All,

Please see excerpts below from a terrific review on the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC in the September 2009 issue of Italian Magazine SUONO. I have a PDF of the full review in Italian available.

Bryston Suono Test Excerpts:

BDA-1 DAC

1. Our first approach to the sound of the Bryston has been thrilling, such is the huge similarity in timbre to the Accuphase (CD Player-our reference system), which is undoubtedly excellent. We are indeed in presence of a converter that can be safely compared to the "big ones" as far as timbre correctness is concerned.

2. All frequency ranges are free from any kind of compression, limits or colouring, you get a very natural listen results from it. It's the type of performance that we should expect from a much more expensive product, and that puts therefore the Bryston in the 'chosen few' category of products.

3.The dynamic power of this converter is really very good, so that it's easy to forget about it, to leave the musical message flow just like the sound engineer has conceived it.

4. You will find difficult to get better than the BDA-1 both from the versatility and the reliability. It maybe surprised us a bit (but only just) that a product like this can not only be very solidly built but also sound so well?!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #98 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:22 pm »
It's cool to see these reports from the field. They mean more to me than professional reviews.

This is what counts!

ian.ameline

« Reply #99 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:28 pm »
It maybe surprised us a bit (but only just) that a product like this can not only be very solidly built but also sound so well?!

That shouldn't surprise anyone who is familiar with Bryston.

-- Ian.