if you were to buy a 'next' TT ??

TONEPUB

Re: if you were to buy a 'next' TT ??
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jun 2008, 02:42 am »
Can I ask who here has heard a Rega P9 with RB1000 arm?  The reason I'm asking is because IMO it represents quite a leap in sound quality from Rega decks that most people would be exposed to (P3 or lower).  I haven't even heard the new P3 24, so I can't comment on that deck.  The last P3 I heard was a P3 2000 and I owned an earlier iteration of the P3 I used in the late 90s.

I think the P9/RB1000 combination is even a healthy step up in resolution and weight from the older P9/RB900 combo.

Many feel that the Rega tables are pretty evenly spaced along the line in terms of value and performance.
I still own a P3-24 with the TT-PSU and a P9, which is one of my references.  I've had the opportunity to
have the P5 and P7 here too and for my money, I really like the P3 and the P9.  I think the P5 and P7 are
only incremental upgrades, especially if you put one of the Groovetracer machined subplatters on a P3 or P5.

But to me, the P9 is a huge jump in performance from the P7.  Much more dynamic, open, more weight to the
bass, so much so that most of my friends that have heard it are always surprised it's a Rega. 

To answer the other question, if you want a good deal on a used 17D3, please PM me, i have one to
get rid of.  (Moved up to a Dynavector XV-1s...)

Let me know, happy to help.

2bigears

« Reply #101 on: 22 Jun 2008, 04:40 am »
 :D  17D3 would be perfect....pm coming and thks much..... :D

alebonau

« Reply #102 on: 22 Jun 2008, 12:31 pm »
Can I ask who here has heard a Rega P9 with RB1000 arm?  The reason I'm asking is because IMO it represents quite a leap in sound quality from Rega decks that most people would be exposed to (P3 or lower).  I haven't even heard the new P3 24, so I can't comment on that deck.  The last P3 I heard was a P3 2000 and I owned an earlier iteration of the P3 I used in the late 90s.

I think the P9/RB1000 combination is even a healthy step up in resolution and weight from the older P9/RB900 combo.

Many feel that the Rega tables are pretty evenly spaced along the line in terms of value and performance.
I still own a P3-24 with the TT-PSU and a P9, which is one of my references.  I've had the opportunity to
have the P5 and P7 here too and for my money, I really like the P3 and the P9.  I think the P5 and P7 are
only incremental upgrades, especially if you put one of the Groovetracer machined subplatters on a P3 or P5.

But to me, the P9 is a huge jump in performance from the P7.  Much more dynamic, open, more weight to the
bass, so much so that most of my friends that have heard it are always surprised it's a Rega. 

To answer the other question, if you want a good deal on a used 17D3, please PM me, i have one to
get rid of.  (Moved up to a Dynavector XV-1s...)

Let me know, happy to help.

great thread ! and very interesting reading tonepub. havent really considered upgradign my rega p25 or even ever considered a P9 !  :D

been pretty content with my p25 for the last 5-6 years have had it I guess :) my biggest vinyl upgrade been with the phono pre recently, and good to know of the potential gains from moving up the rega tree.

great to read the P9 stands up well as a reference deck among some pretty decent company :)

I realise my p25 is a pretty humble affair by comparison, though am pretty fond of the rega sound and the ortofon mc10 supreme stylus I have been running with it. so if ever considered upgrading would definitely consider a p9 :)

the dynavectors you mentioned sound like something pretty decent. anyone tried any ortofons with the p9 or other rega deck ? would be keen to understand the difference in sound ortofon to dynavctor on these decks/arms.

bigears look forward to how you find the p9/ does thsi website allow pics ? would love to see it set up :)

Wayner

« Reply #103 on: 22 Jun 2008, 12:54 pm »
One of the easiest ways to make a cartridge alignment tool is to copy the basic idea of the AR tool. All you need to know is the overhang dimension and drill a very small hole that distance from the spindle hole center.

To use it just point the pointer end at the center of your arm's pivot and the see if the stylus fits in the hole. Of course you will have to align the front end of the cartridge to the front end of the shell or tone arm but this will get you very close.

Wayner

2bigears

« Reply #104 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:03 am »
 :D P9 is in house.Fedex from Texas to Alberta.customs wants a bill of sale now,i stood there at the counter,started to think how i could get a BOS real fast as i drove 3.5 hours to pickup with out,then the large customs girl eyed the paypal payment paper,good enough for her.then they look on the website for article value,they are lookin' for cheaters,as they want ever tax buck they can get !!!! i bought the dvd on tt setup and just need a stylus.will be puttin' on a Dyna-xx2mk2 to try her out. lets see what 7 times the $ gets ya  :scratch:????  :D
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 07:57 pm by 2bigears »

mcrespo71

« Reply #105 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:55 pm »
:D P9 is in house.Fedex from Texas to Alberta.customs wants a bill of sale now,i stood there at the counter,started to think how i could get a BOS real fast as i drove 3.5 hours to pickup with out,then the large customs girl eyed the paypal payment paper,good enough for her.then they look on the website for article value,they are lookin' for cheaters,as they want ever tax buck they can get !!!! i bought the dvd on tt setup and just need a stylus.will be puttin' on a Dyna-xx2mk2 to try her out. lets see what 7 times the $ gets ya  :scratch:????  :D

Can't wait for your findings.

2bigears

« Reply #106 on: 25 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm »
 :D thks,the cart will be here in a few days.i should be able to hear something for 7x the money :duh:.the Rega tables are kinda plain to look at.they spend a lot on their arm and power supply and platter. :D
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2008, 04:42 am by 2bigears »

alebonau

« Reply #107 on: 26 Jun 2008, 08:11 pm »
found the tone audio review on the p9 here done by jeff dorgay. gets a real good wrap there  :D

http://www.sigsound.com/PDFs/RegaP9Apheta.pdf

I love the understated looks of my p25 and the p9. guess I'm not someone looking for a flashy show piece with heaps of bling ! hehe and as you say bigears means the money on the rega decks goes on the bits that count for performance rather than for "show" :)

look forward ot how you find it once you got it in the house !

jmpiwonka

« Reply #108 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:35 pm »
One of the easiest ways to make a cartridge alignment tool is to copy the basic idea of the AR tool. All you need to know is the overhang dimension and drill a very small hole that distance from the spindle hole center.

To use it just point the pointer end at the center of your arm's pivot and the see if the stylus fits in the hole. Of course you will have to align the front end of the cartridge to the front end of the shell or tone arm but this will get you very close.

Wayner

hmm, i think i'm gonna make one of those out of some wood or something when its time for me to set the stereo back up.
i've been lurking on ebay for the last month snagging deals on vinyl whenever they arose.
i have some good looking dolphy recordings, some good coltrane recordings and some still sealed tom waits too.
mule variations is one that i would like to find, some of those songs have some really fun imaging to listen too.
on a good system some of those songs will sound like they are recording in a big room in an old house with wood floors and tom is moving around the room as the song progresses...
i can't wait to do some real listening again.

2bigears

« Reply #109 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:55 pm »
 :D that spindle tool could be made at home if you had the measures ???? looks like an easy set-up tool .who sells those ?? :D

toobluvr

« Reply #110 on: 27 Jun 2008, 11:25 pm »
:D that spindle tool could be made at home if you had the measures ???? looks like an easy set-up tool .who sells those ?? :D

(1) Get a popsicle stick or tongue depressor or something similar.

(2) drill a hole for the spindle.

(3) Use a caliper to carefully measure from center of spindle hole to correct overhang point and mark it.

(4) Drill a tiny lil hole for the overhang, or just tap in a depression with a skinny finishing nail.

(5)  Place stick / depressor over spindle and point toward center of arm pivot.

(6)  Adjust cartridge body in headshell till stylus drops into tiny overhang hole when arm is lowered.

Overhang is now set. 
Pop a beer...sit back....and enjoy the toons!

:thumb:

oein

« Reply #111 on: 6 Jul 2008, 08:31 pm »
First time poster on the AC.
Thanks for the landing strip.
Enjoyed the comments on this thread.
I have a few TTs and am pretty satisfied with the varied performance they offer.
Thought I'd share or open discussion from my vantage point.
I'm in no way an audiophile because I lack the technical expertise to correctly match electronics, make proper tests and comparisons, and I may have some upper end hearing loss (perhaps due to the Heil tweeters on some ESS AMT-1s I used to like at moderate volumes...).
I am a radio programmer (host of several shows over the years), music collector, "sound designer" as in film music by profession, and perhaps aspiring audiohead. I worked at a HIFI shop for several months a year ago and learned a fair amount and have been following on that. I've always owned some decent rig, usually low end HIFI, beginning with my parents Dual, KLH, AR2ax system back home.

Jumping to the present so as not to absorb too much of anyone's time...
I currently have a SOTA Star Star Sapphire (600$ used at Berkeley's Sound Well) fitted with the SME 309 (250$ ebay) and Grado RP (300$) cart. I had the tonearm and cart set up by a pro for 350$. My phono section is a Musical Fidelity X-LPS. Perhaps the cartridge could use an upgrade at some point, I think about it; the phono section is decent but could be upgraded at some point. I have enjoyed the Grado and should have a few more years on it since I don't get to listen to vinyl as much as I'd like. (I've moved so many times, schlepping these 3500 LPs all over the country is getting tired, time to listen.) I recently got an Audio Note P2SE amp, upgrade from the Jolida 502B which I really liked. I haven't run any TT into the P2SE yet. (I have a garage getting converted into music room.) Speakers are Tannoy System 1000's. I think it's a great medium level system. CDs from a mediocre Yamaha player sound very good through the P2SE and Tannoys, certainly the finest playback chain I've owned. I've had the SOTA about 3 years and it took me a year to make it operational. (My system is always in the state of "aspirational", but it has also gotten to a nice plateau with the Audio Note amp.)

I have a secondary system I may have to unload, depending on finances this year, but don't want to. A Jolida 1501 (100w) amp (450$ audiogon) matched with Dali Grand Coupe speakers (850 audiogon). A great little powerhouse set. I have a set of Tara Labs Helix Prism cables I switch out to both systems currently (100$ audiogon). I could use another set of cables and some good interconnects. There's also a Musical Fidelity X-10v3 I sometimes throw in after a CD player. Oh, and I have a Cambridge Audio 540d dvd player for CD drive but it's currently set up with a crappy TV system for viewing netflix...

Other TTs I use are the ubiquitous Tech1200, mine is stock used from same Berkeley shop (350?) with Stanton 680 cartridges bought from KAB. I usually run the Tech into an older Japanese stereo receiver, a Yamaha or Sansui and might use in a radio type set-up with a Numark t-100 which I got for 25$ and plays records BACKWARDS, an effect I love. I use an old Radio Shack mixer to mix records on those. (I also have access to a low power FM transmitter which the 2TT system can be hooked into...) And then there are the 2 antique Edison players, a cylinder model and a diamond disc model I have collected just to be reminded where we come from...

I have peeled away a lot of unnecessary or lesser equipment over the years. While my system is in no way upper end, I would never spend the amounts of money some people do for fancy show off stereos and home theaters. The fun for me has been cobbling together a very decent low-HI-END system thanks to the healthy used market out there. A co-worker at the HIFI shop called us types "bottom feeders". So we collect the crumbs left in the wake of the affluent. Weird living in a culture where excess is so common or accepted, but I am happy for the craftspeople applying their skills to create great equipment that eventually can make its way into almost anyone's hands.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear comments on my evolving audio set up(s) or anything else.

Some musical favorites: High Llamas "Beet, Maize and Corn" particularly good baby music (11 mos old boy), anything from the John Cage library, Toru Takemitsu film music, Dutch prog by Supersister, and Van Dyke Parks' "Song Cycle" of course.

Sincerely,
Owen

TomSV650

« Reply #112 on: 7 Jul 2008, 12:40 am »
I wonder how the p9 sounds compared to my p-5 with franks sub-platter and counterweight?  Adding those two things really make a difference on my p-5. From top to bottom everything is clear and tight, almost sounds cd like but with a much bigger soundstage and more of a 3D sound. Also the overall tone is just beautiful.

TONEPUB

« Reply #113 on: 7 Jul 2008, 01:35 am »
Having compared em, the P9 is still in a league by itself, but what
you have is a killer bargain compared to what a P9 costs!

That P5 and arm with Franks subplatter is probably the best bang
for the buck out there! 

As for the next TT, nothing on the list, but if I win the lottery,
I know my next cartridge, the Lyra Olympos!  In for review and
quite amazing....

Too rich for my budget though.

2bigears

« Reply #114 on: 7 Jul 2008, 01:50 am »
:D  the XX-2 should be here soon.battle of the tt will begin. :D see what's in them deep black grooves :lol:

2bigears

« Reply #115 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:17 am »
:D  the P9 and the Dyna-xx2 are together and spinnin' the big black disc.first album,Tom Petty Wildflowers 180g.i am at a loss,if music can sound any better,you would need to be in the Lords house up in Heaven.WOW=WOW=WOW.the P9 is a sweet tt,the XX-2 complements it nicely to make a great team..... more to come.... :D :D :D :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #116 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:25 am »
I love it when a vinylphool is ecstatic...one really rarely never sees that with Redbook/CD playback  :thumb:

Bring it on 2BE  :)

John

mcrespo71

« Reply #117 on: 8 Jul 2008, 11:20 pm »
:D  the P9 and the Dyna-xx2 are together and spinnin' the big black disc.first album,Tom Petty Wildflowers 180g.i am at a loss,if music can sound any better,you would need to be in the Lords house up in Heaven.WOW=WOW=WOW.the P9 is a sweet tt,the XX-2 complements it nicely to make a great team..... more to come.... :D :D :D :D

I've heard that exact combination and it is SWEET!  Enjoy! :drool: :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #118 on: 8 Jul 2008, 11:40 pm »
:D many thks guys, picked up 700 albums in the last few months,got some listening to do.cd's are real nice for ease of use,records take work. :duh: but of course to some they are worth the extra mile.the music is more relaxed and flows a little better.you can't beat the 180g records.i still am after a Raven from  Thomas the master tt builder.gotta hear that deck,it is called a keeper by all.the Rega tables are simply a good buy,too simple. ya gotta like it  :lol: :D :D
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2008, 10:51 pm by 2bigears »

mcrespo71

« Reply #119 on: 26 Jul 2008, 12:05 pm »
So how does the P9 compare to your other tables?