How do you make a burger?

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: How do you make a burger?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2008, 09:34 pm »
You take ground Chuck roll, and ground entrecote and almost frozen bacon fat and a smidgen of duck fat too!
Add a very thin egg mix that has been in the fridge (4-5 hours..) with the usual herbs and suspects: pepper and coarse sweet mustard seeds + add a sugar/vinegar/butter/vegetable stock/onions/chipotle made into a paste that also contains Roquefort Carles Cheese, this cheese must be frozen..and is added just before mixing with the meat. Shape , fry and beckon!!!

I'll say! Burger King!!  :thumb:

If one wants to be really fancy one wraps the burgers in bacon strips when they start to "set" and sizzle slowly the rest of the time in a pan at low heat until the bacon is ready... This version is best of course with baked potatoes and a salad on the side...

Imperial
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2008, 10:44 pm by Imperial »

some young guy

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jun 2008, 11:29 pm »
A feta-and-onion lamburger is like no other and it leaves regular hamburgers of any kind in the dust (I did eat beef up until 5 years ago so I have comparisons)

Bon appetit - John 
I like the the lamb. I like the lamb-urger. I've eaten as well as made lamb-urgers. I was fine with everything in your post until this last paragraph. Comparing the two is akin to the old "apples vs. oranges" adage. There's only one hamburger and it's made from beef. And if there's egg in it, it's meatloaf.

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2008, 12:30 am »
These are some GREAT recipes...but who in the hell has all this stuff in their kitchen??  :notworthy:

some young guy

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2008, 12:43 am »
These are some GREAT recipes...but who in the hell has all this stuff in their kitchen??  :notworthy:
If we ever get this circle started, we'll have a thread with pix of home kitchens as well as grills. Then we'll see who has what...

Bigfish

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2008, 12:52 am »
If we ever get this circle started, we'll have a thread with pix of home kitchens as well as grills. Then we'll see who has what...

I think we are going to have one heck of a cookbook when we get this circle up and running.  Lets face it we guys will only talk about food we really enjoy eating!

Ken

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2008, 03:53 am »
If you having some tomato slices on your burger.....this might be of interest....... :o

Turnandcough

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:34 am »
If you having some tomato slices on your burger.....this might be of interest....... :o

Oh no I ate some tonight... I hope the meat was ok too, maybe it was contaminated with salmonella, E.coli or Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy(mad cow disease)...and the bacon I put on it is full of cancer causing nitrates...and I cooked it on high heat over cancer causing charcoal with a huge slice of artery clogging cheddar cheese. Oh my God what's that shooting pain in my left arm...I'm feeling out of breath.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2008, 04:41 am »

Oh no I ate some tonight... I hope the meat was ok too, maybe it was contaminated with salmonella, E.coli or Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy(mad cow disease)...and the bacon I put on it is full of cancer causing nitrates...and I cooked it on high heat over cancer causing charcoal with a huge slice of artery clogging cheddar cheese. Oh my God what's that shooting pain in my left arm...I'm feeling out of breath.

You know....we never use to have these.....problems with food.... :scratch:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2008, 02:55 pm »
Let me guess. You're young and think you will live forever.  :thumb:

Gene

Anglo

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:20 pm »
Great thread!

Dan, nice to see you here, you would know me as Steve L over at HTL.  Anyways,

My burger consists of the following,

Cooked on the charcoal for sure!

Faux filet minced in the robo by me.  To this I add,

Bread crumbs, olive oil, (in a mortar and pestle I ground dry basil, pepper corns and smoked sea salt crystals)dijon, eggs(that I boil for 50 seconds to get that salmonella!), worshestire Sp?? tabasco for heat, chili peppers.

Since I have minced the faux filet myself I can now offer to me and my guest a medium rare beautiful burger.

To the burger comes sliced pickles, mustard, mayo, mushrooms and caramelised onions.

The shrooms are usually done in their own broth, balsamic and red wine with a touch of garlic.

Served with a classic bottle of merlot from Robert Mondavi because of the shrooms.

Cheers,

Steve

some young guy

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:45 pm »
Bread crumbs, olive oil, (in a mortar and pestle I ground dry basil, pepper corns and smoked sea salt crystals)dijon, eggs(that I boil for 50 seconds to get that salmonella!), worshestire Sp?? tabasco for heat, chili peppers.
:nono: Meatloaf! ...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:45 pm »
Great thread!

Dan, nice to see you here, you would know me as Steve L over at HTL.

Hi Steve, glad to see you here. :)

nrenter

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2008, 01:23 am »
My wife is a big fan of the "Black and Blue" burger, where you essentially stuff a burger with blue cheese by putting blue cheese between 2 burger patties and sealing the edges, then coating the ourside with blackening seasoning (Joe's Stuff is my personal favorite). Grill to perfection.

Me? Well...meat gives this Nebraska boy ass problems, so I've refrained since '91.

some young guy

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:06 am »
Me? Well...meat gives this Nebraska boy ass problems, so I've refrained since '91.
Thanks for that bit of information.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jun 2008, 03:38 am »

TMI.  TMI.  :(

Thebiker

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2008, 03:23 pm »
My favorite approach is:  1 - 1.25 lbs of ground chuck
                                   @ 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa (I like a hot chipolte)
                                    1 egg
                                   some unseasoned bread crumbs to help bind (a handful) technical measuring :wink:
                                   mix together

Make four patties and throw on the grill to your preferred level of done, top with a slab of cheddar and serve on a Kaiser roll.  You can add your additional condiments to the roll, but you won't need much.
Serve with potato salad and you are good to go.

some young guy

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:28 pm »
My favorite approach is:  1 - 1.25 lbs of ground chuck
                                   @ 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa (I like a hot chipolte)
                                    1 egg
                                   some unseasoned bread crumbs to help bind (a handful) technical measuring :wink:
                                   mix together

Make four patties and throw on the grill to your preferred level of done, top with a slab of cheddar and serve on a Kaiser roll.  You can add your additional condiments to the roll, but you won't need much.
Serve with potato salad and you are good to go.

:nono: Meatloaf!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:42 pm »
1lb Ground chuck
TBSP Worcestershire
Minced onion to taste

Mix thoroughly by hand to form 3 patties.  Grill on medium direct heat.  Never, ever touch the burgers while cooking except to flip once when the first blood is seen on top.  60-90 seconds on the other side.

Philistine

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:58 pm »
I need to help you guys out, the correct spelling is:

WORCESTERSHIRE

Tried the Alton Brown recipe - 50:50 chuck-sirloin, and it works great :drool:

Canyoneagle

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jun 2008, 06:23 pm »
Okay, now I'm REALLY hungry!  I've never tried the "stuffed" patty routine, and am inspired to give'em a go.

We love ground Bison as well as ground beef (grass fed, hormone free, of course).

As a kid, I learned the "meatloaf" version of hamburgers (egg in the mix, with lots of saucy stuff), but have moved to pure, seasoned meat in recent years.

Our current fave is simple-
fresh minced garlic, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, a touch of red wine vinegar or WORCESTERSHIRE  :wink:, and perhaps some seasonings of preference to help with the intent (i.e, a touch of cumin and chipotle powder for Southwestern, fresh rosemary and sage for continental, etc.)
Mix it all up while the meat is nice and cold, make patties, and grill.

If I'm feeling really spunky, I'll baste with my homemade honey/chipotle BBQ sauce.

I like to serve them with cheese (vintage cheddar is my favorite) on toasted whole wheat rolls (preferably homemade) with sliced onions, dill pickles, thin-sliced tomato, green leaf lettuce, artisan mustard, mayo, and a touch of ketchup.

mmmmmmmmmmm