Lens Lust... what's yours?

SET Man

Re: Lens Lust... what's yours?
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm »
havent posted in a while.. but here is my choice 'o' the moment.

the Canon 50mm f0.95 in M bayonet mount.

Crappy resolution, horrible flare, poor performance at all apertures, ghosting... on and on there are negatives to this lens...

but i still want it.

(even with my summilux 1.4 that hardly ever leaves my body.)

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/s/data/50-85/s_50_095.html

Hey!

That's one hefty 50mm there. With 72mm front thread and 79mm overall diameter. :D

Yes, I'm curious if it is really that bad? Even stopped down? :scratch:

Well, at least it is faster than the $15K Noctilux-M 50mm f1 :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

RooX

« Reply #41 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:49 pm »
yeah, its pretty bad, stopped down especially.  At 0.95, it has its own very special character (think Holga) with the added benefit that it is able to take pics in almost dark.  Most everyone who buys the lens will never take a shot at anything but 0.95, as the other apertures are all pretty miserable.

But i would love one for 0.95.

The nocti, although is an amazing lens (have had the pleasure of using one)  I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish that i had the sense to buy one a few short years ago on the used market for the 3k or so they were going for.

15k for the last 100 nocti's is insane. 

nathanm

« Reply #42 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:03 pm »
Yeah, if you're blowing big money on large-aperture lenses aren't you kinda cheating yourself if you shoot at anything LESS than wide open?

The Canon .95 does do some interesting things.  It puts a ring of light around the whatchamacallit blobs.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/futureancient/2607956009/

SET Man

« Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2008, 06:04 pm »
Hey!

True, was just wondering :roll:

Interesting samples. Definitely a very unique lens.

Look like this guy got the Noctilux-M f1 also  :o

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

RooX

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2008, 08:45 pm »
Yeah my current summilux gets used at all apertures, but then its not really "big"

Yeah, if you're blowing big money on large-aperture lenses aren't you kinda cheating yourself if you shoot at anything LESS than wide open?

The Canon .95 does do some interesting things.  It puts a ring of light around the whatchamacallit blobs.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/futureancient/2607956009/

Levi

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:28 pm »
I am lusting for a Nikon 14-85mm F2.8.

Yeah I know it does not exist and no one can buy it.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:19 am »
I guess this doesn't quite fit as a lens lust anymore because I just fulfilled my desires and took in these two lenses:

50mm f/1.4

55mm f/1.2

Each picture taken with the other lens, available light, ISO800, 1/40th second on both exposures, straight out of the camera.

The 1.4 seems to be far sharper, as mentioned in the reviews, but the exact degree could just be my mistake focusing.  Now I wish I got the 50mm f/1.2!  Nevertheless, the sharpness is more than acceptable for my purposes.

Andrikos

« Reply #47 on: 20 Aug 2008, 04:55 pm »
Mine is the dedicated macro lens Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8. It's a manual focus macro lens that can fill the sensor with a grain of rice! (5x mag).

Check out some stunning sample photos here:
http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/index.htm?openfolder=Canon%20Primes/Canon%20MP-E%2065mm%201-5X%20Macro/

Of course you need to use it on a tripod with ring lights etc. but I can't wait to have it in my lens arsenal...

Also, I would like to own the excellent EF 70-200mm f/4L (IS or not) when funds permit.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #48 on: 20 Aug 2008, 07:06 pm »
I guess you could call this lens lust. I've had 2 of these monsters and both times I had to admit I had no use (or talent) for it.  :duh:

I sold both of them and have started to lust for it again.

The real attraction is that big hunk of pristine glass on the front.  :thumb:

Gene

nathanm

« Reply #49 on: 20 Aug 2008, 08:24 pm »
It's a bit hard to lust after a lens with an avatar pic like that, goosepond!  Still, nice lens.  I bet you can really cook the ants with that sucker.

Levi

« Reply #50 on: 15 Sep 2008, 06:23 pm »
This the new LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f / 0.95 ASPH.  Price starts below $9,435.00 :thumb:

picture courtesy from dpreview

Andrikos

« Reply #51 on: 25 Sep 2008, 08:54 pm »
Pfft!
f/0.95 is for chumps and weenies!

Ladies and gentlemen,
I give you an f/0.7!!!!

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm

Stanley Kubrick used it for his movie Barry Lyndon. I rented the movie just for that reason. Plus I wanted to watch all the Kubrick movies... :D

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #52 on: 25 Sep 2008, 09:43 pm »
Or you could settle for Canon's measly 50mm F/1  :thumb:

Gene